Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
fixer2 said:
 ok, you got a secret conversion that makes the Hi Point take readily available, high cap doublestack mags?  other than selling it or trading it in on a Sub2K?  

FWIW, nope, never owned one, never shot one, not really interested in doing that because a fugly gun that only has low cap mags, no spare parts available for it (that you can buy to keep on hand, only source for spares seems to be the factory), and only seems to be sold by one shop in my area just does not interest me.
Nope.  Don't need one.  The 10 rounder it comes with is fine by me.  Just like the 7 round magazines for my 1911 are perfectly adequate for the task.  And the only source for Kel-tec spare parts is pretty much Kel-tec.

fixer2 said:
Promag makes mags for it, and usually all i hear about them is complaints.
Promag makes lots of magazines for lots of guns.  Valid poiint.  I don't buy Promags, but if someone else is using them successfully I don't recommend that they dump them either.  Because I've never owned one so I don't have an opinion. 

fixer2 said:
the last time i saw a Hi Point pistol on the range, all it was doing is choking badly and that shooter had to borrow another gun to complete the pin shoot. he couldn't even get off five rounds without the gun choking.
Could you define "choking"?  Do you know if he was shooting factory ammo or reloads?  I watched a guy with a JCP40 finish in the top 5 in a competition a couple years ago.  He had 4 magazines for his, and some of the other shooters were commenting they had never seen anyone with a Hi-point who owned multiple magazines for it.  Every gun manufacturer has a lemon get past their inspection process occasionally.  It's a fact of mass production.  I've seen more 1911 failures at our club shoots than all other models combined.  I do own one, but my first choice in a handgun if the SHTF is my XD40.  Does that mean my 1911 should be "Kicked to the curb?  No.

fixer2 said:
same opinion about Kel-Tecs? hmm, wanna buy my p32?  i'll make you a good deal on it! ::)  despite the huge disappointment i had with the p32 over mediocre production and lackluster customer service i bought a Sub2K and PF9. the Sub runs well, but the PF needs new mag followers.
Sorry to hear about your P32, but no thanks.  Has Kel-tec made it right despite their lackluster customer service?  And does your PF9 actually NEED new mag followers or are you just upset because it didn't come with the latest and greatest version?  The only PF9 I've ever fired was a 1st gen that impressed me greatly.  The only reason I don't own one is because I don't own any 9mm firearms.  Other than the Hi-point 995 that is at my dads house so I don't have to buy ammo for it.    :D

All Hi-poiint firearms are made with the intent that any person should be able to afford a reliable accurate firearm for self/home defense.  And for that purpose they don't need a hi-cap magazine.  If you can't resolve a defensive situation with the 10 rounds that are in the gun you should have been getting the heck out of Dodge anyway.  And for that purpose they are overbuilt with high tolerances because they are not expected to be maintained on a regular basis.  My first handgun was a JCP40.  Most people who buy them load them up and put them in a drawer, rarely to be seen again.    If you don't feel competent to clean and lube it, Hi-point will do it for you free of charge.  Of any other company I feel Hi-point is the ONLY one with a better customer service than Kel-tec.  If you can read them a serial number they will send you a part.

Nuff said.  My point is I don't like hearing anything being denigrated by people who do not have direct personal experience as a basis for their comment. I LOVE my S2K's, but there is nothing WRONG with my 995 either.  ;)  

·
Registered
160 Posts
3wbdriver said:
If you can't resolve a defensive situation with the 10 rounds that are in the gun you should have been getting the heck out of Dodge anyway.
Hear, hear!

3wbdriver said:
Nuff said.  My point is I don't like hearing anything being denigrated by people who do not have direct personal experience as a basis for their comment.  I LOVE my S2K's, but there is nothing WRONG with my 995 either.  ;)  
As I said in a post some distance upthread, I have been told by people who don't have any direct experience with them, bad things about them.  I've been told by people who do have direct experience with both, good things about both.  Yeah, I brought up the "used by criminals" thing, and I offered it as something that others could use to justify their own rejection of the HP.  The reasons why I'd prefer the KT over the HP are weight and folding.  Even the 9mm HP weighs 6 1/4 pounds, according to their site.  The KT in 9mm is 4 pounds.  I'll probably get two KTs, and one HP. ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was just at a gun show in Rockford, Il and a vendor was telling me how Hi-Points were gangbanger guns and POS's. He was very earnest about it, even though he didn't have too many front teeth. Or a Hi-Point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Then I would be willing to wager you're one of the many who has an opinion about Hi-point without having had the benefit of ever owning one. As far as I'm concerned they are one of the best kept secrets in the firearm industry because of snob statements like this. There are snobs out there who have the same opinion about Kel-tecs, probably for the same reasons.

;)
I own a few high end guns but still like my Hi points. They have never failed to go bang and with a little practice make a decent home protection gun. By the way I’ve never cleaned mine in over 5 years with Average range time.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts