Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Sub 2K in G22 chrome and love it. Soo much so that I am considering trading in my beloved Hipoint 995 to pick up another Sub2K with the G17 grip. Mostly this is to fill the ever present longing for a decent high cap magazine selection. Is the G17 model a solid platform with for a reliable high cap mag carbine? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Yes the Glock 17 is an excellent platform. I would recommend Glock manufactured magazines though. Some of the aftermatket ones aren't quite as good as the originals.

Reactions: Daverm

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would assume that the factory mags would be the preferred choice. If I can find them for a reasonable price that is. Well I'm of the the gun shop I guess.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Another option would be to get some 30 round mags in .40. Just love mine, and they swap nicely between my G23, G27, and SU2000. Nice to have that higher power option in case you're attacked by a heard of wild hog. But, going 9mm will be less expensive in ammo if you shoot a lot and don't reload.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that is kinda of the thought I had for the 9mm. Cheaper to shoot than the 40 and factory high cap mags make it far more appealing than my high point 995. I have plenty of ammo for both and my home defense is my Siaga Shot gun but it couldn't hurt to add another carbine to the locker.

·
Registered
123 Posts
wheelguy said:
...in case you're attacked by a heard of wild hog.
I've decided if I'm ever attacked by a herd of wild women, I'm just laying down my arms and surrendering peacefully.

:)

Besides possessing more firepower, the .40 Sub2K is just plain fun to shoot!

·
Registered
192 Posts
ddujnitsud said:
I just picked up a Sub 2K in G22 chrome and love it.  Soo much so that I am considering trading in my beloved Hipoint 995 to pick up another Sub2K with the G17 grip.  Mostly this is to fill the ever present longing for a decent high cap magazine selection.  Is the G17 model a solid platform with for a reliable high cap mag carbine?  Thanks for the help.

i would kick the HiPoint to the curb in a heartbeat.

well, probably not much trade value on it, you may do better to sell it locally on backpage.com or something than to trade it in towards anything at the LGS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I got the 9mm today. Trade in wasn't the best deal but hey I only paid $125 for it brand new 7 years ago, shot the crap out of it and still made a few bucks. I can't wait to go out tomorrow and kill some cans. These two guns have a lot to live up to, I was pretty lethal inside 75 yds with my highpoint. Now I just gotta figure out the door hinge scope mount for a good red dot.

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
fixer2 said:
i would kick the HiPoint to the curb in a heartbeat.
Then I would be willing to wager you're one of the many who has an opinion about Hi-point without having had the benefit of ever owning one.  As far as I'm concerned they are one of the best kept secrets in the firearm industry because of snob statements like this. There are snobs out there who have the same opinion about Kel-tecs, probably for the same reasons.

;)

Reactions: Daverm

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would whole heartedly agree 3wb. I would catch all kinds of smart remarks when I would pull it out to shoot until I emptied the first mag dropping 10 targets for 10 shots. That seams to get the gunsnobs attention pretty quick, funny how they start to wander over after that to get a look at the ghetto gun in action.

If High Point ever teamed up with ATI to put out a decent factory stock and high cap mag, alot of people would change their tune about owning one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm going to chime in on this one, as I have neither a Hi Point or a Kel Tec.  I'm leaning towards the KT, for two reasons.  1) The Kel Tec folds in half for easier storage/concealment.  2) The Kel Tec is 4 pounds, and I've seen specs on the Hi Point that show it tips the scales at 7 pounds.  I want my wife to use the weapon, and I don't want her to have to lug around any more weight than she has to.  (Yeah, I want to use it, so I might have to get one for me. ;) )

Part of the whole problem with the perception of the Hi Point stems from the gun snobs.  I was told by more than a few people who I trust that Hi Points (and, to a lesser extent, Kel Tecs, too) were of inferior quality.  'Course, none of this was first-hand knowledge--it's all anecdotal (sp?).  I've talked to other people who I trust that say that both KT and HP have quality products.  They actually own some of each.  

Based on that data, I'll tend to go with those who've actually used the weapons.  

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
IMO, the hi-point is the absolute most under rated and best kept secret in the firearms industry,

·
Registered
160 Posts
I meant to say this in my earlier post in the thread, but spaced on it. Didn't Klebold (sp?) and Harris have HPs in the Columbine shootings? That would be a heluva reason not to get one, IMO. It wouldn't prevent me, but I can see where someone else would cite that as a reason for not getting one.

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Blue_State_Saint said:
I meant to say this in my earlier post in the thread, but spaced on it.  Didn't Klebold (sp?) and Harris have HPs in the Columbine shootings? [highlight] That would be a heluva reason not to get one, IMO[/highlight].  It wouldn't prevent me, but I can see where someone else would cite that as a reason for not getting one.
Yes there was a Hi-point 995 involved in the Columbine shootings.  That's also why it was specifically added to the 1994 assault weapon ban (more bs).  But using your reasoning for why NOT to buy a weapon you've just removed every available weapon out there from contention for purchase.  Are you one of those people who assigns evilness to the gun and not the gunner?

C'MON MAN!?   :eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
3wbdriver said:
[quote author=Blue_State_Saint link=1289307899/15#16 date=1289762495]I meant to say this in my earlier post in the thread, but spaced on it.  Didn't Klebold (sp?) and Harris have HPs in the Columbine shootings? [highlight] That would be a heluva reason not to get one, IMO[/highlight].  It wouldn't prevent me, but I can see where someone else would cite that as a reason for not getting one.
Yes there was a Hi-point 995 involved in the Columbine shootings.  That's also why it was specifically added to the 1994 assault weapon ban (more bs).  But using your reasoning for why NOT to buy a weapon you've just removed every available weapon out there from contention for purchase.  Are you one of those people who assigns evilness to the gun and not the gunner?

C'MON MAN!?   :eek:[/quote]

No.

I sit corrected.

I still want to get the Kel Tec for the folding and the weight of the weapon.

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Blue_State_Saint said:
No.

I sit corrected.

I still want to get the Kel Tec for the folding and the weight of the weapon.  
There is that. I have both, and I have to admit the Hi-point has better sights and a slight edge in accuracy. Even if it is ugly. ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I wanted a Sub2k (and still do) but when I couldn't find one in 9mm in my area, settled on a 955TS. As far as "ugly" goes I don't think the KT is very pretty either, but both are a great value. The HP is a blast to shoot, and pretty accurate. I wanted higher capacity mags, but the ten rounders help keep my ammo costs down. Well, a little. And if you're concerned about the "little woman" lugging that whole seven pounds around, the extra weight and the recoil buffer may make it easier to shoot. When I do get a KT I'll be able to give a more favorable comparison, but the HP has performed well so far with one FTE in over 500 rounds, using everything from GDHP's to Tulammo.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My wife knows how to shoot--her father saw to that about 20 years ago, waaay before we met.  And, I know that there's a lot of gun people who look down their noses at the 9mm.  The way I figure it, the 9mm has killed a lot in its (worldwide) service life.  It's all about bullet placement.

What'll probably happen . . . I'll get a sub for her, a sub for me, and a HP for me. ;) All in 9mm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
3wbdriver said:
[quote author=fixer2 link=1289307899/0#9 date=1289588795]i would kick the HiPoint to the curb in a heartbeat.
Then I would be willing to wager you're one of the many who has an opinion about Hi-point without having had the benefit of ever owning one.  As far as I'm concerned they are one of the best kept secrets in the firearm industry because of snob statements like this.  There are snobs out there who have the same opinion about Kel-tecs, probably for the same reasons.  

;)

[/quote]

ok, you got a secret conversion that makes the Hi Point take readily available, high cap doublestack mags? other than selling it or trading it in on a Sub2K?

FWIW, nope, never owned one, never shot one, not really interested in doing that because a fugly gun that only has low cap mags, no spare parts available for it (that you can buy to keep on hand, only source for spares seems to be the factory), and only seems to be sold by one shop in my area just does not interest me.

Promag makes mags for it, and usually all i hear about them is complaints.

the last time i saw a Hi Point pistol on the range, all it was doing is choking badly and that shooter had to borrow another gun to complete the pin shoot. he couldn't even get off five rounds without the gun choking.

same opinion about Kel-Tecs? hmm, wanna buy my p32? i'll make you a good deal on it! ::) despite the huge disappointment i had with the p32 over mediocre production and lackluster customer service i bought a Sub2K and PF9. the Sub runs well, but the PF needs new mag followers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts