New here, figured I'd introduce myself/gun

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by james__12345, Dec 8, 2009.

1. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    My P3AT is my first, and so far only handgun. My dad had had a few fullsized autos and a revolver or two that I've shot alot over the years, but the keltec is my first experience with guns in its size range. Checked out several at the store, after hearing of the magazine release issues during looking into the guns I decided to check the releases and found of the three the store had, two of them had an excessivly sensitive release button. After finding a good solid mag release, I settled on the one I bought.

I did do a minor fluff and buff before shooting. I polished the feed ramp, and did a little light work on where the rail slides across the hammer, and took off a few sharp edges on the grip. I expected some jams in the first few shots, but suprizingly in the 200 or so rounds through the gun so far, I only recall one FTE, which I am pretty sure was from limpwristing. From the start I was amazed at the accuracy of the gun. I was very suprized with the groups i was able to get even out of the first couple shots. I usually cant shoot very well with our stubnose hammerless revolver. I figured the DA triggers and short sight radius in common would mean similar accuracywith the two, but not even close. Alot of people talk about guns like these being painful to shoot, but personally I dont find it to be that uncomfortable.

Upgrade wise the first thing I did, after my first time shooting it was paint the sights. The sights on these guns are sad, but a little orange model car paint with a white dot in the center (on all three sight posts) has done wonders. I have sense went back and did a little more work on the internal polishing, after shooting enough to see the wear marks on the parts to see what was rough etc. Today I got a hogue handall jr and the keltec grip extension. I have both installed, but sadly it was dark before I got home so I wont get to shoot it until tomorrow. I'm already pretty sure the extension will need some work though. The hooked part on the bottom bugs me and I think I will probably cut it off at the bottom of the checkerboard part, making it more similar to the bursa extension. I'm pretty sure I saw a picture from someone on the board that had cut and ground down a keltec extension to make it a little more managable, andy help with a link to that would be great. I'll be sure to post my opinions of the new upgrades and pictures of all after I shoot tomorrow.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard! Sounds like you jumped into this P3AT thing with both feet - good for you.

I've got 2 P3ATs with the Kel-Tec extension on my mainly practice/training gun and the Bersa one on my mainly carry. When at work I use the SmartCarry and to get minimal printing, while still using an extension, I filed and then sanded the Bersa so that there is a smooth tapering as opposed to a sharp drop off of the extension shape. It did make the little bit of printing even less while using the smart carry. Like you I've thought about cutting off that last part of the Kel-Tec extension but have not gotten around to doing it. I'm thinking about trying the +1 extension - many have said here about why not get an extra round since you're already going to increase the height of your gun.

Take care...

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Glad to hear you got a new gun and really like it. Welcome to the forum!

5. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    The keltec extension does print ALOT in a pocket holster, which is what I'm using at the moment, I had an in the waist band holster borrowed for a little while and LOVED it. I dont think it would print much in that type. I'm getting one of those for Christmas. I know, a little odd to by the more expensive stuff and wait till Christmas for that, but I'm so hard to shop for i dont even know what to tell people to get me, and I've already put that idea out there, so I figure i can wait a few days. I'll be cutting that extension off tonight though.

6. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I did get the extension cut off today, but sadly it was raining when I got home, so no chance to shoot yet. Did find out that even after the trim the extension prints more than I like in a pocket holster, so for now factory mag in the gun, extension mag for reload. After I get my IWB holster I'll either put an extension on the other mag too, or get the +1 piece for the reload mag. I'm still not sure if one more round is worth 15 bucks, when another 6 round clip can be had for around 20 . . . . I realize reloads take time, but also different clips like that in a gun are going to make it handle differently. Not sure how that difference would effect shooting in a defensive situation. Bought some good heavy black material the other day too so I can make a belt pouch for the extra mag, since i haven't seen anything i like for the little mags yet.

7. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    It was raining when I got home yesterday, so yet again, no chance to shoot :'( . On the bright side, I do have pictures now.
    before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the painted sights
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]