Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
On this subject, does anyone know where I might find an RDB-S handguard? I like the look, but the last time I talked to KT, they weren't selling them. I'm hoping that maybe someone that's upgraded to a LI rail might be willing to part with one.

Lawndart

· Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
723 Posts
You cant completely free float a piston gun ..
You could free float the handgaurd...
Theres also a guy in another thread that tried to free float his and..It made 0 difference.

This is a vaporware handguard..To this day, several months later..No pictures of it on the rifle in any length..No video walk through..nothing.

· Registered
107 Posts
You cant completely free float a piston gun ..
You could free float the handgaurd...
Theres also a guy in another thread that tried to free float his and..It made 0 difference.

This is a vaporware handguard..To this day, several months later..No pictures of it on the rifle in any length..No video walk through..nothing.
You may not be able to free float the barrel completely, but you could get the hand guard off the gas block and help stop the awful POI shift when you put weight on it. Then you wouldn't need the extra steel on the gas block for the pin. Less weight out front as well Win-Win..

· Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
723 Posts
FYI, the barrel is installed using a barrel nut, similar to a Savage. It's a super simple process. To headspace it, you insert a Go gauge into the chamber and screw the barrel into the trunnion with the bolt locked into it, extractor removed. When the Go gauge bottoms out in the chamber, you torque the barrel nut down and you're done! After that, you need to press on the gas block and rear block, whatever that's called, and pin them in place, making sure they're straight and square.

Lawndart
I have a LI Raptor and like it but if this one is completely free float.. I may consider it.
You may not be able to free float the barrel completely, but you could get the hand guard off the gas block and help stop the awful POI shift when you put weight on it. Then you wouldn't need the extra steel on the gas block for the pin. Less weight out front as well Win-Win..
Its not like theres a lot of weight out front anyway..The Standard RDB center of balance is around the rear most tower/right around the trigger. So nearly balanced right at the pistolgrip.
But If your worried about Poi shift..Others have just placed the weight of the gun closer to the trigger through a rest or a bipod at that location. This is what I do to get around Poi shift in my other piston
guns.

· Registered
107 Posts
Its not like theres a lot of weight out front anyway..The Standard RDB center of balance is around the rear most tower/right around the trigger. So nearly balanced right at the pistolgrip.
But If your worried about Poi shift..Others have just placed the weight of the gun closer to the trigger through a rest or a bipod at that location. This is what I do to get around Poi shift in my other piston
guns.
Doesn't matter how much weight is out front, with the handguard attached to the gas block which is attached to the barrel which is attached to the sight rail that just so happens to be floated off the receiver with that weird spring washer setup.... any weight that comes down on the handguard is gonna shift POI. It doesn't take as much force as you think to put a little warp in the barrel. And KT knew this was gonna be an issue, which is why they 'sorted' the issue with that stupid spring washer design in the back. Makes 0 sense to me that they couldn't have done something better.

No matter where I mount a bipod on the plastic hand guard I get POI shift.
With the LI rail it's better but nothing that solid mounts on a barrel is gonna be perfect...

I mean, if you're only taking your RDB to the 'range' to impress the boys and have the cool space gun.. you'd probably never know the difference. That's not how a lot of us roll. I go out to the farm and we set up 200-300 yards and shoot.
Even our regular 'chill and shoot' range is about 75-80 yards depending on the sun.

It's just a little annoying.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts