Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Any issues getting parts made for guns out of Canada?
Or making psrts for guns in Canada?
Canada's export is pretty free. The US import is the tight side from what I know, as long as its not an ITAR controlled item it should be free and clear. Usually things with cage codes. There is a Local guy here that has been making a very popular hand guard for Bushmaster ACR type rifles and 90% of his buyers are in the USA. Ive never heard of him having issues with his sales cross border.

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
702 Posts
Im sure it would survive the muzzle blast but I might be worried about high velocity gas venting on my hand with out a thick glove of blast shield device. Shooters preference I guess. We cant have suppressors in Canada but its designed to use one so I think its planned for use in any configuration for you lucky buggers with cans.
Looking at the 12"..It would be in line with the first chamber of my muzzle brake..So I figure its a good question to ask.

Canada's export is pretty free. The US import is the tight side from what I know, as long as its not an ITAR controlled item it should be free and clear. Usually things with cage codes. There is a Local guy here that has been making a very popular hand guard for Bushmaster ACR type rifles and 90% of his buyers are in the USA. Ive never heard of him having issues with his sales cross border.
You got a link for the guy making the ACR handguards or a name..My Ak is set up to use those.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks like the site has had some update to the pre-order page. There’s now option for both regular and hunter version and 3 rail lengths to choose from.
Still, I’m with the others on this forum, we need to see the actual thing on the rifle, even if it’s not the final product. Otherwise, it’s all just a vapor ware to me.
BTW why didn’t the creator use a kickstarter campaign, it would have ensured the backers with more confidence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Looks like the site has had some update to the pre-order page. There’s now option for both regular and hunter version and 3 rail lengths to choose from.
Still, I’m with the others on this forum, we need to see the actual thing on the rifle, even if it’s not the final product. Otherwise, it’s all just a vapor ware to me.
BTW why didn’t the creator use a kickstarter campaign, it would have ensured the backers with more confidence.
Just checked Kickstarter, they prohibit these types of items. =/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I asked if I could get a picture to share of the early prototype but the answer was no because they want to avoid misrepresentation of the final product. Good news though, they said a few pre-production samples are being made for pictures and demos.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just need to point out what to me is a major deficiency in any aluminum handguard. This might not mean much for the gents down south but in cold climates it means a lot, or it does to me. Aluminum steals heat, even through gloves, almost like the hand was immersed in water. As I age that gets worse, OK the circulation gets worse. While I like the look of the LI fore end because it's aluminum it's immediately off my wishlist. I know how expensive it is to make a mould for another plastic fore end, so it would probably be up to KT to make it happen. It's in the realm of not going to happen. I love for KT to prove me a liar. So I stick with my plastic fore end.

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
702 Posts
I didn’t want a cold aluminum handguard so my fix was rather easy but definitely expensive. I sold my house up North and moved to a gun friendly southern state :)
I just added polymer mlok covers to my Rdb. I never end up touching the handgaurd in the winter this way.

They are still on My Rfb..Haven't put them back on yet for the Rdb since wrapping it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I need to decide between the 12 and the 13.6. Gonna have to take some measurements when I get home.

This rail appears to solve a few problems for me.
1. Closed top for more rigidity. I need that badly. I've bent my LI rail a few times now since it's open on the ends. I'd like to mount a LAM on the side but there's no way it would hold zero.
2. 12 o'clock mlok. Much better placement for pressure pads. I have my Unity Modbutton at the 10 o'clock on my LI rail, but it's not natural to manipulate there. The 13.6" rail means I could likely mount a TAPS there too!
3. Less important because who knows when I'll get around to doing it... but since this rail doesn't mount to the gas block and only mounts to the rear, it makes things a little easier when I get around to SBRing it. I can move the gas block back without having to fabricate a mount for the LI handguard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man I would love a closed top handguard. My LI rail has a lot of flex to it since it's open at the 12 o'clock position. I've caught my light on the edge of a barricade and it bent the forward section of the rail out and to the right. I was able to bend it right back, but I do, of course, prefer something more rigid. Having a rigid closed top handguard would be amazing! I could move my IR down to the rail then.
Nice set up! I closed my Lucky Irishman open top with a piece of machined aluminum bolted across to both sides of hand guard. Not ideal, but strengthened it significantly to where I can attach a LAM forward of the rail on top of hand guard. Holds zero fine. I have the 20" with the extended rail allowing about a country mile to place it on top with plenty of room to get to the gas adjust.

Camera lens Air gun Reflex camera Digital camera Trigger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have a link to the machined aluminum? I’d like to strengthen my handguard as well if possible.
I have access to a machine shop so I just jined one up myself. You can make one out of sheet aluminum I'd imagine. Simple enough just as long as it bolts to both sides. I never understood why LI would leave that top open for that very problem you had with it catching and bending.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts