Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
702 Posts
So I got to see a early version but im super excited already. It hits all the spots the other rails missed, longer length with a full wrap around for end, full length top rail and no flex milled aluminum. Im definitely going to wait for the production model to release. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take and share a picture but a release date is being determined currently. High anticipation, I love the rdb! :D
Yea but does it cover the top of the trigger guard like the OEM handguards? Lucky irishmand handgaurds are nice and light. Brings a standard RDB17 down to 6.5lbs

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
@MaxHawk
Please get this across to the mysterious rail guy,
What this rifle can use is a gas adjustment knob guard. The upper half of the guard would block accidental rubbing of the wheel, which would also level the guard with the top Pic rail.
This is one of the things keeping the RDB from being SHTF worthy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@MaxHawk
Please get this across to the mysterious rail guy,
What this rifle can use is a gas adjustment knob guard. The upper half of the guard would block accidental rubbing of the wheel, which would also level the guard with the top Pic rail.
This is one of the things keeping the RDB from being SHTF worthy.
I noticed that too and yes its covered but still accessible so (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I hope im not breaking any rules by posting a link here, please let me know. I just placed my order for that new rail I was talking about a few post back. Its more than I dreamed of! Ive got so spend some time with the owner of the company here locally and im pumped to see what they do next. Check them out at maderifle :love:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I hope im not breaking any rules by posting a link here, please let me know. I just placed my order for that new rail I was talking about a few post back. Its more than I dreamed of! Ive got so spend some time with the owner of the company here locally and im pumped to see what they do next. Check them out at maderifle :love:
Do you have it on the rifle?
Hard to be interested in a 3d rendering and it not be on the rifle.
..and at 375..its gotta look good..and have a reason why its more expensive than Lucky Irishman and even better know folks like SLR rifle works or Blk LBL and their ALX (Aluminum handguards)..While I know only one of the 3 makes an RDB handgaurd...None of them get above 300$ without an extra feature..like the built in bipod for Blk lbl Mantis

·
Registered
170 Posts
I’m very intrigued by the design but I would like to see the real thing, even it is in the unfinished form. Curious about how to get it mounted as well, strange “bulge” at 6 o’clock, what’s up with that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Do you have it on the rifle?
Hard to be interested in a 3d rendering and it not be on the rifle.
..and at 375..its gotta look good..and have a reason why its more expensive than Lucky Irishman and even better know folks like SLR rifle works or Blk LBL and their ALX (Aluminum handguards)..While I know only one of the 3 makes an RDB handgaurd...None of them get above 300$ without an extra feature..like the built in bipod for Blk lbl Mantis
No i dont have one yet, Ive goto wait like every one else.

Well I cant really speak for them but I know its .125" thick aluminum for the handguard unlike the lucky irishmans folded sheet aluminum. It also uses a chassis that replaces the middle barrel support. Its also a new start up all made in Canada and id assume materials arent cheap right now. They also are not on a production scale like companies pooping out thousands of ar15 rails so im pretty impressed. Ive also gotten to handle some of the prototypes and the quality is top class.

Maybe the price will come down after the first run sells off and they do a larger scale run. Personally im happy for the chance to support a new start up like this but you are more than welcome to your own reservations.

I dont think any other company out there will make something like this for a Keltec, otherwise they wold have.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well I cant really speak for them but I know its .125" thick aluminum for the handguard unlike the lucky irishmans folded sheet aluminum. It also uses a chassis that replaces the middle barrel support. Its also a new start up all made in Canada and id assume materials arent cheap right now. They also are not on a production scale like companies pooping out thousands of ar15 rails so im pretty impressed. Ive also gotten to handle some of the prototypes and the quality is top class.

Maybe the price will come down after the first run sells off and they do a larger scale run. Personally im happy for the chance to support a new start up like this but you are more than welcome to your own reservations.

I dont think any other company out there will make something like this for a Keltec, otherwise they wold have.
I cant really say I understand the differences in aluminum nor why it matters..
However I can say that the LI handguard is still lighter that the proposed prototype..The also had pictures of an RDB wearing it shortly after its 3d prototype
...And hes just a 1 man show.
At 375 I'm not sure this is going hit their production run goals with out at least a photo of an RDB wearing the handguard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I cant really say I understand the differences in aluminum nor why it matters..
However I can say that the LI handguard is still lighter that the proposed prototype..The also had pictures of an RDB wearing it shortly after its 3d prototype
...And hes just a 1 man show.
At 375 I'm not sure this is going hit their production run goals with out at least a photo of an RDB wearing the handguard.
Ive got no idea what goes into development of something like this but i can guess it costs a lot more than folding some aluminum in a garage. I do know that the type of metal matters and how its formed matters alot too. I did some time in welding and heat treating.

You should deffinitly share your insite with them though, they love to hear ppls input. The designers name is Neil, super chill guy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If this is true then the handguad won't be compatible with Hunter and Survival lower. I hope the manufacture will consider an option for all RDBs
I asked the same question. They said their plan is for the system to be modular between the hunters and non hunters with optional parts. Id assume the release of those parts will come shortly after they do this first run. They seem to be on the ball with all possible factors, I couldn't stump them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
However I can say that the LI handguard is still lighter that the proposed prototype..
The Lucky Irish 18" listed weight is 1 pound. So that means the MR is actually lighter, not by much but lets keep things accurate here. Ppl read this for usable info. Also if you are super concerned about weight the The steel middle barrel support block is replaced by the aluminum chassis if your counting ounces...

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Lucky Irish 18" listed weight is 1 pound. So that means the MR is actually lighter, not by much but lets keep things accurate here. Ppl read this for usable info. Also if you are super concerned about weight the The steel middle barrel support block is replaced by the aluminum chassis if your counting ounces...
That's the shipping weight. With the box..
The Lucky Irishman handguard itself (with mounts is) 6.6oz.

..So yes..Lets keep things accurate..

Keltec folks tend to be more budget minded..(If they weren't, most would spring for an X95 or MDRx where there are expensive handguards as the standard)
So keeping that in mind we have (3) after market handguards for the RDB
(1) Luckyishman Raptor
(2) Luckyishman Rhino
(3) Keltec Aluminum.
All 3 are under 200$..(With Sales the LI rails can get cheaper and he has sales fairly often).

Honestly I like the charging handle shelf on the Keltec version, but its a touch shorter..Not a fan of the mounting system

That said. There I see 3 main types of folks regarding the handguards.

The folks that already have one of the 3 aluminum handguards..(got to give them convincing reason to change from what they already have)
The folks have not gotten an RDB and are looking at the available handguards wondering why there is a such a gap in handguard prices.
The folks that want to replace their current factory handguard. And go to a website with a CGI handguard with the rifle not in it.

I did have a question about the handguard that isn't weight or price:
Why is the handguard 13.5 inches long? At 11.5 the LI handguard stops behind the muzzle device.
Is the goal to use any muzzle device (like a brake) or is the more suppressor specific use?

..and get us a darn picture of your friends handguard on an RDB.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
@odinforever2000

That is good insight, though I bet they know that. I personally I like products that dont compermise and are more robust like the MR rail. Unfortunately im not that close with the guy, I maybe get to briefly talk to him if I ever see him at the shop. You should probably just contact him directly with questions. I imagine the 13.6" is made for 20" barrels in Canada like mine or use with a suppressor yeah. I see they published the shorter versions on the web sight now so thats cool.

Also I dono why but you seem like you are some what offended by this new rail? its just a thing... you dont have to like it, its ok some one will. I know I do.

Il make sure to do my best to inform him that people would like to see a real one on a rifle. You should too, maybe more ppl asking will make it happen sooner. Im sure they have already thought of this though. Any one here good at Photoshop in the mean time? ahah.

·
Registered
702 Posts
@odinforever2000

That is good insight, though I bet they know that. I personally I like products that dont compermise and are more robust like the MR rail. Unfortunately im not that close with the guy, I maybe get to briefly talk to him if I ever see him at the shop. You should probably just contact him directly with questions. I imagine the 13.6" is made for 20" barrels in Canada like mine or use with a suppressor yeah. I see they published the shorter versions on the web sight now so thats cool.

Also I dono why but you seem like you are some what offended by this new rail? its just a thing... you dont have to like it, its ok some one will. I know I do.

Il make sure to do my best to inform him that people would like to see a real one on a rifle. You should too, maybe more ppl asking will make it happen sooner. Im sure they have already thought of this though. Any one here good at Photoshop in the mean time? ahah.
Oh. I'm not offended.
Just voicing the exact opposition I'm going to get if I suggested this rail on the rdb Facebook and Reddit groups.
You could say I'm looking for answers.

Ah so the 20inch.So a lil shorter than the Li variant then..I wonder if the MR rail is OK to be shot without a supressor using the 17" barrel (more common in the us).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh. I'm not offended.
Just voicing the exact opposition I'm going to get if I suggested this rail on the rdb Facebook and Reddit groups.
You could say I'm looking for answers.

Ah so the 20inch.So a lil shorter than the Li variant then..I wonder if the MR rail is OK to be shot without a supressor using the 17" barrel (more common in the us).
Im sure it would survive the muzzle blast but I might be worried about high velocity gas venting on my hand with out a thick glove of blast shield device. Shooters preference I guess. We cant have suppressors in Canada but its designed to use one so I think its planned for use in any configuration for you lucky buggers with cans.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts