New hammer spring is here.  Really need help

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Blarelli, May 2, 2008.

1. Blarelli

Blarelli New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ok, new hammer spring came today, and I am currently looking through the instructions and having problems with the initial disassembly.

The 2nd step is as follows: Drive out both polymer frame pins (do not drive out the steel pins).

First of all, which side do I approach this from? I've tried both sides, and the pins won't budge.
    Secondly, what should I be using to punch these through? I'm using an allan wrench driver about the right size.

2. ttorion

ttorion New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Re: New hammer spring is here.  Really need h

You need to review this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: New hammer spring is here.  Really need help

Right handed shooter (for reference).

UNLOAD UNLOAD UNLOAD. CHECK and then unload again. Hold gun like you are going to shoot but with your trigger finger of right hand outside the trigger guard. The side your trigger finger is on is the right side.

Drive pins from right side out the left. Place gun on 50 round plastic ammo tray (empty...) and drive pin into one of the holes for ammo providing good support everywhere else. Use punch (3/32" I think but don't hold me to that - the size that just about equals the diameter of the pin).

The rest is easy as cake (after watching the video).

-Scott

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

This includes disassembly for the P11 and 1st gen P3AT. Ignore the different extractors and realize that yours has a captured recoil catch built into the slide and everything else is the same:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

5. Blarelli

Blarelli New Member

Nov 25, 2007

Man, I love this forum. REPAIR IS DONE!!! 40 minutes, or from the time I finally got off my butt and grabbed a 2x4 with a hole drilled in it, 15 minutes.

Well, I'm headed to the range. I'll catch you gangsters later.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

A LOT better than 6-8 weeks!!! Good luck. ;)

-Scott

7. Blarelli

Blarelli New Member

Nov 25, 2007

Back from the range, 50 shots no problems. Thanks again guys.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Doesn't it feel good to have "done it yourself?"

I know, and agree to a point, the part about "I don't want to work on my guns" but there is this great satisfaction of knowing you don't have to rely on someone else if everything else goes to pot.  In fact if you are anything like I was you are probably looking at the parts lists on all the other guns you own right now just to see what you should order just in case because now you know you CAN do it!?

-Scott

9. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008

I've ready alot about failure of hammer springs. I never had one bust but then again haven't blasted hundreds and hundreds of rounds.
    What is the failure rate per hundred guns? at what mileage can it be expected? What causes it?
    Is the failure at the exposed curved loop at the end of the grip, does it rust out or do they just break for no reason other than age?
    Was there a bunch of bad/weak springs installed?
    Lots of questions.

10. Re: New hammer spring is here.  Really need h

;)

Thanks to KTOG there is not a gun I own that I am not afraid of taking down completly and polishing up a bit.
    [​IMG]

Blarelli---- keep it up and we may send you one of these!

[​IMG]

11. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006

I have 1238 rounds through mine without issues.

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Over some years, maybe a half-million Kel-tec pistols produced, and a bazillion posts read here, I think the number of broken hammer springs I have seen is probably still in single digits.  Most of those very few occurances were on P3ATs, but then they have made up bulk of KT pistol production.

13. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008

This is probably a minor point but, in the video, he drifts the pins out from the left side and drives them back in from the right side. At least, that's the way it looks to me.

14. GMax

GMax New Member

Feb 16, 2006

This is the only type failure I've had with either of my P3-AT's. Unfortunately it is a catastrophic failure and renders the P3 useless. Mine had not been shot for 3 or 4 weeks and I went to the range planning only to run a mag through it and it failed after first shot. It was very disturbing since I carried it 24/7.

15. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Some time back, after reading about a broken hammer spring, I went to a few other forums and did a search for "broken hammer spring". I found that it occassionally happens on all makes and models, including some very high dollar guns... heaven forbid, even revolvers. FWIW, Kel-tec uses good quality springs. Anyway, regarding mechanical failures, you can't lay awake at night thinking about that stuff. If your life is that risky, carry a bug like most cops. I find that my NAA mini 22mag is very easy to carry, and while it has never failed to fire, it does have a hammer spring. :)

16. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

Most semi-automatics use a compression spring if they are hammer fired. Older designs like the Colt 1911 may use a flat spring. Compression springs almost always have a guide rod running down the middle and if the spring happens to break the guide rod holds the pieces in place and the gun will still work. The broken spring is generally only discovered if the pistol is detailed stripped. George Kellgren chose to use an expansion spring in the P-11 and P-32 sized pistols and their brethren. When an expansion spring breaks it's all over. About all that I can see that you can do is to install Packer's IFP/LHS mod which results in less tension on the hammer spring and possibly less chance of breakage.

17. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007

+1

I would likely have never done more than a field strip on any of my guns had I not found and joined KTOG!