New Hammer Block Causes Hammer to Rub Slide

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by roberta42, Sep 28, 2008.

1. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    I received two new style hammer blocks from Kel-Tec installed them correctly on two p3at's
    they work as they should but than I noticed when I pull the trigger that the Hammer now rubs
    the corner of the slide on the left side. I changed the hammer block back on one of the p3at's
    and the problem is gone. Has anyone else noticed this problem? After install of the new hammer blocks the hammer seems to sit a little to the left

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Roh Oh Shaggy! Hopefully this upgrade IS?!?!?!

-Scott

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I have a new P-3AT with a factory installed new style hammer block. The hammer is slightly off center to the left but not enough to rub. I wouldn't think the hammer could have much side to side play since it is pinned in the frame.

4. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The new hammer block is different in more than ways than one. When I hold them side to side I see the tip is longer on the new one but also the circular cut out is deeper. I think the new one is somehow tilting the hammer slightly to the left enough to contact the tip of the slide I can feel it click as I pull the trigger slowly and see the slide move as it passes the corner. I will call kel-tec today and ask if they know anything about it. I probably just put the old one back in.

The Hammer does not have much side to side play but it does have a little play, just enough that if it is pushed up just slightly from the right side by the New Hammer Block the tip of the Hammer will contact the left side of the slide

5. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    i have the old block, but i am all too familiar with the hammer touching the slide. mine has been that way since day one and the grit it adds to the pull is about the only thing i really dont like about the gun. i've even contemplated dremling the slide a bit to eliminate it...

ive seen pictures of other guns though and it seems the hammer is *supposed* to be a bit offset to the left. i posted about it previously but didnt get too much feedback - i probably didnt explain it well.

6. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    I called Kel-Tec today and got the repair department they said they have not heard of
    the new hammer block moving the hammer a little to the left and to send it in and they would look at it.
    So what I did was use a small file and took a little bit off the slide where the hammer touches.
    This solves the problem, no more hammer touching the slide.

But as far as if the gun fires correctly as to when the hammer hits the firing pin, I have not shot it
    yet. Just have a small shiny spot on the inside of the slide where the hammer touches from the file.

That click as the hammer touches ths slide as you pull the trigger was annoying

7. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Mine didn't have this issue. When I placed my new/old side by side the only difference I saw was the higher point. I suppose a few thousands of an inch difference somewhere could cause the problem. Anyway, I bet your fix works great. :)

8. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I just pulled my P3AT out of my pocket and, what do you know, the hammer is indeed resting gently on the left side of the slide. I just installed the new hammer block a few days ago. I could slip a finger nail between the hammer and slide on the right side, but the hammer is resting gently against the left side of the slide.

Now, I never looked to see if this was the case before replacing the hammer block, so I can't confirm that the new hammer block is the "problem." And, until I test fire I'm not going to assume there is a problem to further address. If I have trouble I'll certainly look in this direction. Please keep us informed if you have any trouble too.

You have keen eyes and are a careful observer!

9. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    :eek:
    Not to pick on you Checker but just an FYI to everyone - never complete major repairs on a firearm and go back to carrying it until after you have test fired it. You need to know it goes bang not click  ;)
    And I take the stand that until it's test fired I will assume it's not safe.

10. roberta42

roberta42 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    I did put the old hammer block back in and the hammer did move back to the right and did not touch the slide,
    so I know that the new style hammer block was the reason the hammer shifted to the left.

I filed the slide on the left side near the hammer and put the new hammer block back in and it seemed to be ok.
    I wait till I fire at the range to see if it works correctly. But the new hammer block
    definitely changed more than the trigger pull.

11. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    :eek:
    Not to pick on you Checker but just an FYI to everyone - never complete major repairs on a firearm and go back to carrying it until after you have test fired it. You need to know it goes bang not click  ;)
    And I take the stand that until it's test fired I will assume it's not safe.[/quote]

Yes, you bring up a good point. Maybe this is a good reason for me to go make some noise this weekend! Woo! Hoo!

Oh, and I did dry fire a few times to test for general functioning. But yeah, I know that's not the same as with live ammo.