New Hammer Block Assembly

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Checker4Tix, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Probably everyone knew this but me, but KT is now shipping replacement hammer blocks for the P3AT and PF9. I had called once before and they weren't yet available as replacement parts. I called a few minutes ago and ordered new hammer blocks for both my P3AT and my two PF9's.

No charge, free shipping. Can't beat that!

FYI.

2. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up!

3. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Did you talk to sales or customer service to get the free parts?

4. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Well, I got impatient and called customer service. A lady answered and when I told her what I wanted [ new style hammer block for my P3AT and P32] she told me I would have to send in the guns for the parts to be factory installed. I told her I had done one myself previously. She then told me she would have to let me speak to the gentleman who usually handles things. He got on the phone and said he would send me the upgraded hammer blocks. :)

5. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007
    I called customer service. I must have spoken with the gentleman you ended up speaking with. He never suggested that I had to send my guns in.

I accidentally took out my P3AT hammer block on my first fluff & buff - I just didn't know any better. It was a major PITA to get back in. I hope I'll be able to do that much faster, with KTOG support if needed. But even if it is a pain, an afternoon speaking "french" to my little buddies beats the heck out of an 8 week absence while they are on vacation in Cocoa.

6. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I know about the pain-been there. It's been so long ago I will have to go thru a learning curve again. I find that a bottle [or 2] of Guinness helps. There was something a week or so ago on the P32 forum about using a soda straw to aid replacement.

Anyway, I think not having to worry about short-stroking the trigger in a stress situation will be good! I'll bet Ruger follows suit with the LCP.

7. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Received 2 hammer blocks today from Kel-Tec [one for my P-3AT and one for my P-32]. They were supposed to be the new up-grade anti-short stroke version. Took my P-3AT apart only to find the old hammer block was the same as the new. >:( I told the guy at Kel-Tec I wanted the upgrade-TWICE-and he assured me he understood. Apparently whoever picks the parts for shipment didn't get the word and has wasted their money and my time! I'll call again tomorrow and try to get the upgrade. Darn the bad luck!

8. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Just for some info on replacing the hammer block, if you will make a slave pin that is short enough that it will just barely fit into the frame where the block sits and that is the same size or smaller than the pivot pin it will be much easier. Put the slave pin into the block/spring assembly, slide into the grip frame and then push the slave pin out with the stock one.
    Slicker than snot and you won't even cuss. ;)

9. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Thanks for the tip. I did have a bit of a time reassembling mine and your tip would have made it a bit faster. I called KT Customer Service again this morning and got the lady I spoke to last week. She appologized and had become aware of the difference between the old and updated hammer blocks after she had shipped the older hammer blocks last week. Says she now has her own little supply of the new ones at her desk and will ship to me right away. :)

10. Old_Bill

Old_Bill New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Where else could a person get service like that? I've never had to contact KelTec for anything...but, I sure like reading messages like the above! ;D ;D

Old bill

11. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    do the actually offer to install a new assembly free of charge? that'd be crazy service! i really want the fix but im not sure i got the skills to do the switch myself. since i would only have to send the lower half and not the slide/barrel, am i correct i would not be legally required to send it over night and could save money by just using usps?

12. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    They will most likely send the parts for free, but you should call them to find out if they will do the complete upgrade for free.
    The part with the serial number on it (the frame) is considered the gun. So removing the slide and barrel doesn't make it not a gun.

Bobo

13. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    You could just send the grip but I promise you that a blind six year old boy with a seeing eye dog can change these things out in a matter of minutes. There is NOTHING on these KTs that can not be taken on by anyone with half a brain.

14. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007
    Yikes! I got my new hammer blocks in late last week and was going to install them tonight. I'll start with my back-up PF9 and check to see if I really have new new ones.

Also, the three new ones they sent me, one for the P3AT and two for the PF9 look identical to me. Are they the same for both of these models? I guess I just assumed they would be different.

15. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

The download on the KT website shows the part # is the same on both. Sorry I didn't think to ask the gal at KT if they have assigned a new # to the upgrade.

16. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    does anybody know of a link showing how to do the switch out in detail, preferably with a video?

17. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    There is one linked here on KTOG multiple times. Do a search for "hammer block change video" over the last year and I bet it pops up. You can narrow it down even more by selecting threads where I was involved in if you want.

-Scott

18. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
  19. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Hi, Sorry to show my ignorance...but what is a hammer block assembly, and why do I need to replace it in the P3AT?
    Thanks,
    Tommy

20. tsquare

tsquare New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    +1. What is it needed for?