new hammer assy... doesn't fit!!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 99ncxj, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I recieved my new hammer assy and hammer block today. I pulled my 2nd gen p3at apart and started looking at the parts they sent. The new hammer block looks fine (like the pics of the new style i've seen on here before) but the hammer isn't the same as the old one and doesn't fit right.

here is a pic of the old hammer still installed in the slide. Note the amount of play (noticeable on the top of pic)
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z249/99ncxj/guns061.jpg

and here is the new hammer in the slide. It fits in there, but its too wide at the rear (right side of pic) to rotate all the way.
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z249/99ncxj/guns058.jpg

here are both hammers out and side by side. You can see how much thicker the new one is compared to the old one.
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z249/99ncxj/guns057.jpg

The problem this is causing is that the hammer won't rotate far enough to hit the firing pin. Here is a pic of the old hammer in its futher most forward position (plenty of travel to hit the pin)..note the real nice machining work on it...
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z249/99ncxj/guns060.jpg

and here is a pic of the new one at its further most forward position. No where even close to hitting the pin at this point.
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z249/99ncxj/guns059.jpg

So what do i do? do i try to file down the new one to make it skinny enough to rotate to where it needs to be? Its after 5 so KT is closed for the day. anyone experienced this before? could this be a hammer for the 1st gen 380? maybe the .32?

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I can't offer too much help. But I would not start with a file, I would give KT a call and see if they could get the right one ASAP.

Just guessing, but I would think P11 or PF9 :-/

3. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    i would think if it was from an 11 or 9, the spring would be longer (for longer grip) but the spring and base plate it came with is the same as the one i have.

they sent the whole assy.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    did you call KT?

5. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like the hammer in the second pic has a longer piece on top, I'm guessing it's for a PF9. Call KT and ask for another.

6. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    take the new spring off the new setup and put the new spring on the old hammer set. not hard to do.

7. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I knew that! ;D Sometimes the obvious is invisible.

8. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I was going to just swap out hammers, but I called kt today and they are going to send me a whole new assy. That way i'll atleast have a spare spring here...and a hammer that I don't know what it goes in.

9. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Ok...now the frustration has set in. I got my 2nd hammer assy in the mail today and what a surprise...its the wrong one too. What is going on down there in florida? did someone go into thier parts bins and scatter everything around so they are just guessing what parts go to what guns? I guess i'll be making another call on monday.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Could be someone mislabeled some little plastic bags they come in. :-/

12. I would call and politelty ask for Bill in service. When he picks up the phone......start with HEY BILL.....then politely explain to Bill what has happened- two wrong hammers in a row, and then ask him to PLEASE help you by picking one out of the bin.......checking to ensure it is the right one.......and asking him to ship it to you.

I had the same thing happen with a 3AT grip.....they sent me a 1st gen.....I called and specifically asked for Bill. A few days later I got the one I needed. Seems to me Bill is the go to guy in service.

13. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I wished i had seen your post about asking for bill. but i called today and talked with someone (may have been bill) and told them that i have had 2 wrong hammers sent to me and i needed the right one. He is sending me out a 3rd one to see if it fits. I sure hope so...this is getting old fast.

14. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Update...

I finally got a 3rd hammer assy. in the mail from KT. It fits fine but looks like someone had taken a grinder to the side of it before shipping it. Pretty crappy if you ask me. Atleast the gun works now. I don't know...maybe i'll just stick to the higher priced guns from now on. I'm really sick of this crap. I just wish they could send out a part that fits and has a good finish. Too much to ask?

15. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    You should call KT and calmly let them know the quality of the hammer you recieved and your fustration. You already have a lot of your time involved in this and thus try to continue till you feel like you got some satisfaction

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I'm sorry about the first two and about your frustration. But I have to ask, who cares what it looks like? You can barely see any of the hammer once it is installed...

-Scott

17. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    why would KT have ground it?

how can they know what would have worked?

this just ain't right.

does not breed confidence. i have never recieved replacement parts like that before.

18. 99ncxj

99ncxj New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    its not even able to be seen when the gun is assymbled. but they ground down the side of it where the other 2 were too wide. But it would have fit fine even if they hadn't ground it down any because this one was the right part. They didn't even take that much off. Its like they said...hey, this guy keeps saying these things don't fit...so lets grind one down and maybe that will shut him up.

maybe i'll take it back apart and take a picture of it.