Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

New Guy

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Bobo 
#1 ·
Hello,
Just purchased my first Keltec. P3AT with an OD grip frame. Took it apart, gave it a good cleaning. I was a little concerned about the coloration of the bore, but looking at your photos, this is apparently normal. Haven't gone to the range to try it out yet, but If you could give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it.
Is there any specific ammo I should use/avoid for break-in? Is 50 rounds enough to ensure reliablity or should I go 100? I will probably get a Hogue handall jr, but what's the preferred grip technique? High thumb or curled down?
Thanks!

#2 ·
Welcome and congrates.

What finish is the metal... I hear the parkerized bores do look different ;)

Break in ammo...I like round nose FMJ.   but you will also need to try differnt carry ammo and make your own decisssion.  I kepted it simple and stayed with FMJ.

Things to know.

besure the ejector did not run away when you cleaned it

get a 2mm allen and ensure extractor bolt is snug.  5 to 10 inch-lbs

use grease

release trigger ALL the way or you will get light strikes

clean and grease often (25 to 50 rounds)

during cleaning, remove proud metal.  some possible areas to look for:
there will be a spot on the frame rails opposite the ejector and
on the slide at the trigger bar cam slot and
the head of the recoil rod will digg into the frame
the head of the recoil rod will rub on the bottom of the barrel

If you are a tru pistolero, you can try ranges greater than 21 feet.  but most keep it less

#3 ·
Hi jkwas and welcome to the group. I'm not near as knowledgeable as others on this board but here are a few things that I have learned.

Do the fluff and buff as described http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm

Clean after 50rds. or so http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks1.htm#Lubrication (they like grease)

I have not had trouble with any ammo that I have used just be sure to try the ammo that you intend to carry
before you trust your life with it.

My P3 seems to get better the more I shoot it. Also be sure that you don't "limp wrist" http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a8/a8.html as these guns are very light and very easy to limp wrist.

I hope these little things help but rest assured that if trouble arises that help will be found in this group.
We are very passionate about these great handguns. Also the customer service at Kel-Tec is second to
none.

SHOOT, CLEAN, REPEAT and you will be very happy with your trusted friend :) :cool:.

Tim ;D

#4 ·
Stay with decent quality BRASS-CASED ammo from any major manufacturer.

#7 ·
I would recommend shooting at least 100 rds. through it (150 would be better) before I relied upon it for carry use.

#8 ·
Jkwas said:
Is there any specific ammo I should use/avoid for break-in? Is 50 rounds enough to ensure reliability or should I go 100? I will probably get a Hogue Handall Jr, but what's the preferred grip technique? High thumb or curled down?
I used Remington FMJ and Winchester WWB FMJ for the first 80 or so rounds through mine, then switched to Remington 88 grain HP's. I wouldn't recommend the flat-nose Winchester WWB's though, I just happened to have half a box on hand. I love the 100 round bulk pack Remington HP's....WalMart for $25. They have a rounded shape for good feeding, yet expand nicely. So I use those both for practice and carry.
I'd go at least 100 rounds before trusting it with my life. However, mine has never had a hiccup, so I don't personally know what a failure with a P3AT is like.
I was going to buy a Hogue slip-on grip, but first tried the bicycle inner tube trick instead. It does the same thing for free. Since I didn't buy my P3AT for display, the inner tube works and looks fine.
As for grip? Whatever is most comfortable for you. I can get two fingers around the grip, pinky underneath, then wrap my left hand around that. I just make sure my thumb is not near the mag release.
I forgot to mention that I chose not to add the mag extension because I personally wanted the grip as short as possible in my pocket.
Jack

#14 ·
Jkwas said:
Thanks for all the feedback.  Someone mentioned using a bicycle inner tube for a slip-grip.  My roadbike tubes are way too small.  What size works best?  I was also thinking about the +1 mag extension.  Is it really helpful?
I got a few different sizes free from a bike shop's rubbish barrel (I asked them of course). The one that fit best was a 20 x 1.75 - 2.125. I actually put on two layers of bike tube, then a Hogue Jr. over that partially because I like the finger grooves.

#17 ·
Range Report:

I did the Bicycle Tube modification to the grip, Bought 100 rounds of S&B FMJ, a couple of small body targets and had at it. Didn't even use the sights. First mag I shot two handed. All the rest one handed. All hits were within the oval at 10 and 20 feet, just point shooting. I went thru 75 rounds without one problem. Not one. The gun shot better than I thought it would, with about the same recoil as my snub with 38+p. I looked at both the 32 and .380. The .380 just fit my hand better. And even better after wrapping the grip with the tube. My hand is a little skinned at the top of the thumb, and my trigger finger got a little banged up by the trigger guard, but nothing compared to shooting a 357 snub. This is going to be my pocket carry gun of choice. I can't see using anything else.

#21 ·
nativeTXshooter said:
interesting training tartget...is this for real?

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetRightHanded.pdf
Yes. it's for real. It's not actually a target to shoot at, it is a training aid that gives an indication of what the problem might be if your shots are consistently off. i.e., if your shots are consistently going up and to the right it could be due to "heeling". It assumes that the gun is mechanically zeroed and that the problem is in the shooter.

BTW, this aid is for right-handed shooters, if you are a lefty it would be a mirror image.

Bobo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.