New Guy

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RadRacer, Jan 8, 2011.

1. RadRacer

RadRacer Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Florida
    Never owned a gun before, but numerous friends have them. I shot for the first time today at the range; a p3at, glock 9mm, Taurus 9mm, and a hipoint c9 9mm. I was wanting something tiny, but still good for home defense. I don't have my ccw license yet, but am looking to in the near future. Everyone keeps telling me to get a 9mm, and after seeing ammo prices, so am I. But, that p3at just sticks in my mind. I'm sure out guys are probably a little biased, but I'm debating bewteen a new Hipoint C9 ($180) or a used p3at($225). The KT has an extended grip and a belt clip. Its the green color (not my favorite :p) and I love the size of it. Only downside is I was not accurate at all with it, it kept releasing the magazine, and the ammo isn't cheap :p. What do you guys suggest? I'm not looking for a glock, but a nice small gun that I could future ccw if I wanted. I don't plan on going to the range every week or anything like that, just looking for a little more peace of mind mostly while at home. The wife wants me to get one, that she could fire if need be, just since we live in a shady kinda neighborhood. Its mostly a home defense weapon.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

I think you are going to be surprised by the answers.

I would NOT recommend a P3AT or P32 for a first gun or for home defense. get something heavier

HOWEVER, you stated you were able to shot the P3AT and it function properly with you, so you must be a natural shooter ;)

3. RadRacer

RadRacer Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Florida
    Well, good to hear this isn't a KelTec or die site :p. As far as operation, everything went smoothly for the most part. Only time it jammed was when the clip dropped, so I have a feeling it was a feeding while dropping kinda issue. Handling wise, the gun felt great. Actually, I preferred the feel of it over the Taurus and hipoint 9mm (both of which are subcompacts).

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hmm...  So many guns - so little time.  Well, this is a Kel-tec site and pretty much nothing is easier to carry than a P3AT.  If you are planning to carry frequently, it is a very good choice, especially, depending on climate, if you don't want to wear a cover garment all the time as often needed to conceal a bigger gun.  The P3AT can easily be slipped into a pocket holster and it can also do duty for home defense.

The Hi Point would not be my choice in a concealed carry weapon.  For starters it is relatively large and heavy.  Secondly, I don't want to carry a single action pistol with just some cheesy little safety between me and an acidental discharge.  I prefer double action pistols for concealed carry.  I'm not dissing the Hi Point.  They are cheap, solid and generally reliable guns with a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service, and like Kel-tec, they are American made.  They are simply not concealed carry guns.

Finally, $225 is no bargain for a used P3AT.  Brand new ones range from $200 - $300, depending on the finish and local market.  A blued can even be found as low as $200 in some times and places.  FWIW, I much prefer the hard chrome finish - well worth the few extra $, IMHO.

If you are considering 9mm, you won't find a smaller, lighter one than the PF9.  It too can be pocket carried although I personally find it just a bit much to pocket carry for extended periods.  However, many here do so.  Compared to most 9mm guns, it is easily concealed/carried in a inside the waistband holster.  It would also make a better home defense weapon than the P3AT.  Frankly, eventually, you need both.   :)

As JFB said, neither of these guns are often highly recommended here as a first gun.  The power to weight/size ratio is such that they are not the easiest guns to shoot.  The relatively long, double action trigger also serves as the safety and it requires some practice to shoot well. The short sight radius and rudimentary sights, especially on the P3AT also ups the skill level to shoot well.  Typically for a new shooter, I like to recommend a revolver, but is sounds like you had no trouble with the P3AT you shot, except that you probably hit the mag release inadvertenly.  A slight adjustment in grip and some practice generally solves that.  The mag catch can also be filed down a bit.

5. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Here is the best of both worlds. P3At in your pocket during the day and a Rem 870 12 ga pump with 00 buck and slugs next to the bed. The last thing a bad guy wants to hear is the sound of a 12ga cycling.

6. dakotagear

dakotagear New Member

Dec 30, 2010
    I suggest going with what feels best to you. My very first handgun was the PF9. A lot of people advise against them as a starter gun, but I really liked the narrow feel of the grip so I bought it instead of a heavier Glock. It was a learning curve coming from long guns, but with a good bit of range time my groups are tight. To this day, no matter how many times I shoot my friends Glock, I just cannot get it to feel as natural to me as the PF9.

7. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas

My P3AT is my summer wardrobe gun. I carry it in an Uncle Mikes number 2 pocket holster. My P11 is my winter wardrobe gun. I carry it IWB with the belt cllip. The difference in my summer and winter wardrobe is a T shirt under my slip on polo type shirt in the winter with my suspenders over the T. In the summer my suspenders are over the polo, and the polo is tucked into my jeans. I like both pistols. I am not a great shot with either one, but up close, I am dangerous with both.

Life is short, be happy

8. Mike_OD

Mike_OD New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    We (wife and I) each have a P-3AT for CCW and we have a Hi-Point C9 for range shooting and home defense. You should be able to purchase a new P-3AT (not green) for no more than $240 to $250 and a new C9 for around $140.  Check local gun shows in your area.  

While many people dislike the C9, it is a very accurate gun, especially at SD distances, and a lot of fun to shoot.  Don't be discouraged that you were not that accurate with the P-3AT -- it is harder to shoot accurately compared to the other guns that you were trying.  With practice and at appropriate distances (15-20 feet) for the use of the P-3AT, you will improve your accuracy.

The 380 ammo cost is a litle overstated on many forums.  Do your shopping and you will find 380 ammo at the same price or maybe just a little more than 9 mm Luger.  Look online and again at local gun shows.  I recently bought 10 boxes of S&B 380 ammo for less than $12 a box at a local gun show.  I thought that to be a good price, and we have had very good results with that brand.

9. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    We're new to firearms and our main purpose is defense. I didn't want to spend a lot on a bunch of guns - just wanted to get something we could use for defense and carry easily. Didn't want to mess with different calibers - wanted to keep it simple and have a couple of identical guns so there's no issues with ever getting the wrong magazine or ammo. We settled on the P3AT - our first (and only) firearm - and love it. Its a small enough package my wife and I can both carry the same gun. If it was JUST ME, I might get a PF9, but that's just too big (and kicks too much) for my wife (even though ammo is cheaper).

Cheapest ammo I find is generally Cabelas or Wideners (http://wideners.com/). We settled on PPU for range ammo.

10. RadRacer

RadRacer Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Florida
    I know there's a seperate forum for it, but what about a pf9? Nice small 9mm. Or do you guys still not recommend it due to the power-weght ratio? (Althought I like big things in tiny packages :p) I'm hoping to get by the range again this weekend, and have my fingers crossed that they have one I can rent. How much do they run new?

As for ammo, the cheapest at Walmart is $17/box. But, after searching online, yes I can get it for about the same as 9mm

Keep the suggestions/comments coming. I don't even own a gun, but I already love this site :p

11. sr5mike

sr5mike New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Is there a cabelas near you?

12. jtbinvalrico

jtbinvalrico New Member

Jan 8, 2011
    +1 on fitting a shotgun into your arsenal for primary home defense sometime in the future....

Also, no matter what gun you choose, make absolutely certain that you are comfortable with it and certain of its function....you'll only get one chance to test this in real life.

13. RadRacer

RadRacer Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Florida
    No.

And I plan on making sure I like the feel, weight, etc before purchasing, hence me hoping they have a pf9 at my local range

14. RadRacer

RadRacer Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Florida
    Well, no go on a local one. But, how bad is the trigger on the pf9? I'm thinking of buying one anyways, just cause I keep hearing its like a larger p3at, which I liked shooting :p

15. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Rad:
    You might consider the Bersa Thunder 380. It is very reliable and easy to shoot. Well made with lifetime warranty. It is one of my favorite handguns because it fits the hand so well and turns out to be very accurate. I own the PF-9 and P3AT and think that they are great guns but the Bersa is easier to shoot and is small enough to be carried if you like. The Bersa sub compact Thunder 380 just might a better first choice.

Later you could get a P3AT which is really a wonderful little micro. Both the Bersa Thunder 380 and the Kel Tec 380 are amazing little pistols.

16. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    You're wrong about the smaller part and correct about the lighter part.  The PM9 has a length that is 0.53" shorter, it's 0.3" shorter in height but it does weigh 1.3 oz.  more than the PF9.

PM9
    Length O/A: 5.3"
    Height: 4.0"
    Slide Width: .90"
    Weight: Pistol 14 ounces

PF9
    Length: 5.85"
    Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.                                      
    Height: 4.3"                                  
    Width: 0.88"
    Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I am aware of the stats on both guns and my statement was correct.  "You will not find a smaller, lighter 9mm," (that means both smaller and lighter).  While the 3-times-the-price-Kahr is very slightly smaller in 2 dimensions, it is not smaller and lighter.  The same could be said for the 4-times-the-price Rohrbaugh R-9, although it does beat the Kahr in all the numbers.  ;)

Rohrbaugh R-9
    Caliber:9mm
    Barrel:2.9in
    Length:5.2in
    Height:3.7in
    Weight:13.5oz
    Magazine Capacity:6 Rounds
    http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

18. RadRacer

RadRacer Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Florida
    Well guys, thanks for all the help, but I pick up my c9 tomorrow :p. Don't plan on carrying it, but atleast it'll be a fun range gun and good for home defense