New guy with range report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DaveyDug, Jul 21, 2008.

1. DaveyDug

DaveyDug New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Let me first say HELLO to all you fellow KT enthusiasts!  I am the proud owner of two KT's, a G17 Sub-2000 and now a black/blued P3AT.  I've lurked here for some time, and gotten quite a bit of useful information.  I finally got a chance to take my new P3AT out and felt compelled to post a report.  

Prior to this range session, I did a basic field strip, just like I would on any other new pistol.  Cleaned well, and gave it a light oiling.  I've read a bit about the fluff and buff, and honestly thought that this trial run would be disappointing, and that I'd have to eventually break down and perform the F&B.  I bought the gun about a month ago, and cleaned it right away.  Since then, I have been carrying it (pretty much every day) unloaded to break in my new pocket holster.  Yesterday, I had some free time and it wasn't raining, so I headed out to the woods.

My plan was as follows:
    1. Break-in with 50 rounds of any ammo.
    2. Disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble.
    3. Shoot 50 rounds of brand "A", jot down amounts of FTF's and FTE's,
    4. Disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble
    5. Repeat this process up to about 200 or 250 rounds (4 or 5 different ammo brands) to compare reliability.

Here's how it actually went:
    1.  Aguila 95 gr FMJ: shot 50 rounds, had 3 FTF's (all in the first 25 rounds), and no FTE's.
    2.  At this point, I decided things were going pretty well, and decided not to clean the gun.  Ran 50 rounds of Remington UMC 95 gr FMJ's.  0 FTF's, and 0 FTE's.
    3.  Again, didn't clean the gun.  Ran 50 more flawless rounds of S&B 92 gr FMJ's.
    4.  Didn't clean the gun.  50 rounds of Speer Lawman 95 gr TMJ's were next.  Had 1 FTF, which may have been my fault.  The slide didn't go all the way into battery, but all it took was a bump with the heel of my hand to move the slide all the way forward.  No FTE's.
    5.  Ran 24 rounds of Magtech 95 gr FMJ's with no malfunctions.
    6.  Ran 20 rounds of Cor Bon 90 gr JHP's, again with no malfunctions.  

At that point, I had to leave the woods because I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos.  But I had seen enough!
    To sum it up, I fired roughly 250 rounds through a brand new P3AT that had been riding around in my pocket for a month, never cleaned it during the test, and had NO failures to eject, and only 4 failures to feed, 3 of which were in the first 25 rounds!  Needless to say I am EXTREMELY pleased with this little pistol!  

A few comments:
    1.  My hand is sore today.   ;) No biggie.
    2.  Those Cor Bon rounds are quite impressive.  Substantially more muzzle flash and perceived recoil than the practice ammo, as well as significantly more damage downrange.  :cool:
    3.  The recoil overall is pretty stout, but not uncomfortable.  I will admit that I have a hard time maintaining a correct grip when shooting with one hand.

Overall, I can't say enough about this gun.  Thanks, Kel Tec!

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Welcome to KTOG and You da man!  250 rounds is way more than I want to shoot a P3AT in one session, let alone on its maiden voyage.  Anyway, you broke it in and tested carry rounds all in one session.  It would have taken me 3 trips to do all that. I think you have established pretty good reliabiliy. Clean... lube... shoot... repeat... You are good to go. :cool: 

3. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    WOW! :eek: Welcome. That's an awesome report and a he** of a "break-in". Congratulations!

Were you using grip extensions?

Thanks

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
     :) Some grip pads, a grip sleeve and mag. extension then we wouldn't have to hear you whinning about a sore hand after only 250 rounds  :)

Welcome aboard!

5. tat2

tat2 New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    right on!!!! i 2 am suprised on how great these guns do. so far i have only put a 100rds though mine. i have been telling the guys at work about how i fell about the kel-tec and the easy of carring it and a few of them are going to try them out. i have totally forgot about the p3at copy cat ruger lcp. cant say enough about my gun.i find my self looking at it all the time.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Good job! Must have been some desperate mosquitoes to hang around in all that flying lead and smoke.

I'm pretty sure 100 rounds is the most I've put through my little gun in one session.

7. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Only thing I can add is that a pinkie extension will help with that single handed shooting.

I ran mine thru about the same round count when I got it back from the mothership. I had two other people helping me tho.

You're tough!

8. DaveyDug

DaveyDug New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.  No grip or mag extensions yet.  The only things I've added so far were one extra magazine and my High Noon Holsters "Pocket Reload" (which, incidently, I am quite fond of).  

Speaking of whining, I think my hand is actually more sore today...  :-[
    LOL!  I had the same thought.  ;D

9. WOW--- 250 rounds from a 3AT in one outing??? That is a lot of abuse for one afternon!

Congrats on the gun and thanks for the report!

One thing you might consider is a clean up of the rough plastic edges inside the trigger guard and on the trigger itself.

As TX said... at this point it is:

Clean
    Lube
    Shoot
    REPEAT!

10. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report!

Since you've already tried several different FMJs I'd like to hear what kind of results you get with some other JHPs. I'm hoping to carry Gold Dots in mine.

Again, welcome to the forum and keep up the good work.

11. DaveyDug

DaveyDug New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Honestly, I don't think I'll probably ever put that many rounds through this gun at one time again.  But, I do feel that it's well broken in, and I'm comfortable that I have plenty of options for practice ammo.  I may in the future do a comparison of defensive ammos, but frankly I'm happy with the CorBon's performance so far.  That, combined with the price of good ammo these days  :'( means it might not happen anytime soon.

For now, I feel pretty good carrying the P3AT as my backup/hot weather gun.  

12. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think Magtec specifically says not to shoot these rounds in a Kel-Tec.

13. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    I think you are confusing Magtec with Mag Safe.

Billy

14. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
  15. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007

Ahhh yes, you are correct. I always get the two mixed up.

16. Sassi

Sassi New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Which is it mag safe or mag tec, and why should they not be used in a 380 like this?

17. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    MagSafe should be called MagNOTSAFE.  Magtech ammo is safe to be fired in our Kel-Tec's.

18. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    MagSafe produces too much pressure for the P-3AT, MagTech is just fine.

Bobo