Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a used first generation P3At in trade and I got it out to the range today. This gun is in honest excellent condition. It came with a pocket clip installed.

I bought one hundred rounds of magtech 380 fmj and ran the target out to 7 yards. The first 40 rounds were flawless with two hands or one hand hold and the target was taking a good perforating. As I neared the end of that box of ammo, I started having severe failures...at least one or two rounds per mag. And these were the bad failures; the ones where the extractor slips off the case head and leaves the spent brass halfway out of the chamber with the next round down in the mag jammed against the bottom of it. I was frustrated to say the least. There was no rhyme or reason to which round jammed. It was sometimes the first up from the mag, sometimes the last and everything in between.

I then noted about 20 hit and miss rounds into the next box of ammo that the belt clip was very loose. I happened to have the right tool there and snugged that clip screw up good and tight and continued to fire. I had no troubles in the next thrity rounds at all- again single and double-hand hold.

Anyone ever heard of this? Do you think it was chance that the problem went away when I snugged the clip screw or can having that screw loose cause a problem of  this type? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The tolerances on these little pistols is quite tight. After shooting close to 50 rounds there is very little lubrication on the slide and it's dirty as heck. Consequently, I don't shoot more than 40-50 rounds at a time without cleaning and lubricating.

It is NOT a Gluck! ;D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a bit more work on the barrel hood and went back to the range. I guess I left some sandpaper grit in the chamber because I had a failure to extract on the 6th round which left the brass in the chamber and jammed atop the next round down.

After that, 150 rounds fired smooth and trouble free. The gun is running smoother now on the rails and I think it's breaking in a bit. I now consider it good enough to carry as my "no-gun" gun. I called Kel-Tec yesterday for the upgraded extractor so when it get's here, I may well install that too although I think the hood mod solved the problem.

Now, if only the gun didn't shoot 3" right at 7 yards... ::)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Hi, powerkicker. Welcome to KTOG! You might want to order a new ejector also. You may have the old "tall" ejector that was replaced by the "flat" part #115.

Three inches is a LOT of variance at that close range. I would wonder if it was the gun--or your shooting technique. A trigger stop and snap cap practice might prevent the muzzle from wandering right.

http://1bad69.com/keltec/accuracy.htm

Easy trigger stop for P-11, PF-9 and P3AT:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=101;action=display;num=1152892678

Packer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome TPP. I will admit to having a tough time with the G1 sights but I think I had the triangle perched pretty good up front. I think this gun just spits them a bit right with magtech. I'll try another brand of ammo one of these days. Seven yards is the longest shot I'd be taking with this gun in real life and knowing it shoots 3" right allows me to make center hits on-target at longer ranges as needed.

But heck...It really may be just my eyes. That does happen. :)

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
The P-site works well but only fits 1st generation guns.
I see that is what you have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.