new guy with load deve report in 380ACP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by beone, Jul 6, 2010.

1. beone

beone New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi, Dave here. I'm in western North Carolina and have had my P3AT since Jan 10.  Great little gun that i enjoy shooting.  I also like to reload and am looking for a light range load that is enjoyable and that my wife may like to fire. I have been loading with the Lee 102 gr 1r boolit in front of 2.6 grains of Bullseye.  Loaded 10 rounds of each of the following, all with the 102 and BE:

2.2 Be  nice recoil and looks to be most accurate--better than the 2.6gr
    2.0 BE  Nice recoil-less accurate
    1.8 BE  easy recoil less accurate
    1.5 BE  easy recoil   8 out of 10 FTE!!

For me it looks like the sweet spot is going to be around 2.2 gr BE.  I'll be doing more testing.  
    Note: this test was all about recoil and function, now I start on accuracy
    Hope this helps.  YMMV

(EDIT) The current load (Sept-10) is 2.3 of BE.  This gives solid performance not only in my 3AT but also in my wife's Walther PK380.  Several hundred rounds with no problems

Dave

2. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I'm toying with the idea of reloading. Saves soooo much money. :eek:

3. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I'm currently using 100 Grain Berry's plated bullets over 2.8 grains of Unique and Winchester Small Pistol Primers. I just figured it out and it's $6.07/box of 50, so that's quite a savings.

4. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

The joys of reloading, its lots of fun. It's my experience that the best loads are not the ones loaded to to the max but about 10% below max.

Best Wishes:

5. beone

beone New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Reloading is also a lot of fun. I use Lee equipment-Challenger press- and am very satisfied. I do recommend carbide dies.

I now have loaded:
    100 rds 2.6 BE for baseline
    50 rds 2.2 BE
    50 rds 2.1 BE
    Hope to get to the range Tues and will post my results.
    Dave :)

6. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Thanks Beone,

Welcome to the KTOG P3AT BB. Its nice you are sharing the info with us. I would have to agree that carbide dies are the way to go for reloading straight walled pistol cases. You might want to check out Red Dot if you like Bullseye. Red Dot os almost as fast as Bullseye but much more bulky(lowers chance of double charges.)

Best Wishes:

7. nashvillemike

nashvillemike New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    This is great info, fellas. I've got a Lyman 2nd edtion reloading book that lists Win231 as one of their favorites. It is also on a few of their pics as most potentially accurate loads. I've got about 3/4 of a can of 231, and am going to get some dies for the .380 soon, anyone have any experience with it?

8. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Nashvillemike,

I reload with 231 I use 3.2gr with 95gr cast bullet and CCi small pistol. That load works well for me and my P3AT. I also load 90gr XTPs with 3.5 gr of 231, same primer, (as always, start charges 10% low and work up.)

9. beone

beone New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Got out to the range last week, just now getting to report. Shot 50 at 2.6BE , 50 at 2.2BE and 50 at 2.1 BE. 2.2 and 2.1 are definantly more accurate than 2.6 and much more plesant to shoot. I can keep it within 6 in at 10 yards. I think this is going to be my standard load. I do want to try some 231 or unique as they are said to be cleaner. but the BE is an inexpensive load. Loaded 200 rounds last night watching tv.
    If you don't load, think about it. 380 is about $20 a box around here and I can load that box for about $5.

10. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Hello to a fellow Tarheel. I'm probably not too far from you, near Shelby.

I've been reloading everything else for 30 years but haven't got into loading the 380 yet. I'd like to start but if I do I'd like to use my Dillon 550. I haven't used it for anything as small as the 380 and don't know how accurate it will be throwing such a small powder charge. Have you tried any slower powders as to fill the case more so an overcharge will show up easier?
    Are you using a progressive reloader?

Thanks

11. beone

beone New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    houser 52,
    I live over in hickory. I dont have a progressive, I use a lee challanger single stage for 380, 45acp and 32-20wcf. I'm thinking about a progressive, been looking at the Lee 1000, or Load all, dont know if i will do anything soon. Any good ranges down that way? I get installed in our outdoor club this thursday so i should have abetter, more relaxing, place to shoot soon. I currently shoot at an indoor range which is nice but not very relaxing.
    Dave (Beone)

12. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010

Shooters Express in Mt. Holly is the only range I know of that's close and it's indoor only. I've been there to shoot 1 time and didn't like it. Like you say it wasn't very relaxing.
    Guess I'm kinda lucky to have my own range and live out in the country with no neighbors close enough for me to bother. I used my tractor to construct my berms which are about 7' high on 2 sides. It works really well for handgun practice and sighting in deer rifles.
    No long range shooting but out to 150 yards I'm good to go.

13. SingleAction

SingleAction New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Hi,

I haven't been here in several years, and forgot my user name/password!

First off I've been reloading for about 6 yrs using a Dillon 550.

I have a first generation P3AT, which I love, and is my summer carry.

Reading all the posts about reloading .380 to use in the P3AT doesn't make sense to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the little Kel-Tec is a close range(7 yards at most) for self defense.
    It is not a target pistol, and IMO not pleasent to shoot for prolonged periods of time, especially with self defense ammo, like what I use when I carry( Remington Golden Saber 102gr .380).

When I do go to the range to practice with it, I use the same ammo as what I carry.

What is the sense of spending money on conversion kit, dies, etc, to load wimpy light loads, that will not make you proficient with the gun when you need it, and don't be using your reloads, if you do have to defend yourself.

Lastly, I don't think the polymer/alloy receiver, is designed for large volume of rounds through it.

Do what my wife and I do, get yourself a Browning Buckmark 5.5" bbl 22lr. it's cheaper to shoot, no reloading and more enjoyable.

Leave your reloading to serious target guns, like Colt Gold Cup .45acp, S&W 686 6"bbl .38/.357, etc

14. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Last two years you couldn't buy .380 ammo anywhere.

If I hadn't been reloading it, I couldn't shoot it at all.

I agree it makes no sense to convert a Dillon Mass-Quantities-O-Matic press.
    That's true of a lot of low-volume calibers.

But a set of .380 dies for a single stage press cost less then one box of .380 ammo!

rc

15. SingleAction

SingleAction New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    This is a very good point about the .380 shortage!

When I bought the Kel-Tec new(05), I broke it in with various defense ammo, and picked the brand that ran the best.

That was the Golden Sabers, even back then over $20 bucks for 20 rounds!

I maybe anal, but I stock piled them up for practice and carry, but thanks for making me understand the current situation of why it would be prudent to want to reload!

16. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010

I guess you're saying you haven't tried any slower burning powder?

17. SingleAction

SingleAction New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    I don't understand what slower burning powder has to do with my post!

Do you care to elaborate?

18. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    The topic of the thread was load development and not why you wouldn't use a Dillon to reload or the Kel Tec as a range gun.
    Therefore you are correct. Slower burning powder had nothing to do with your post just as your post had nothing to do with load development.

I was just trying to steer the discussion back on course.

19. SingleAction

SingleAction New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    First off, I'm entitled to my opinion!

Thank you  for being such a great spokesperson for steering the discussion back on course!

While we are talking about the Dillon 550, it seems to me that in one of your previous posts you mention  that you would like to use this press

"I've been reloading everything else for 30 years but haven't got into loading the 380 yet. I'd like to start but if I do I'd like to use my Dillon 550. I haven't used it for anything as small as the 380 and don't know how accurate it will be throwing such a small powder charge. Have you tried any slower powders as to fill the case more so an overcharge will show up easier?
    Are you using a progressive reloader?"

So it's OK for you to ask about using the 550, but I'm not allowed to mention, in so many words, that it's a waste of money, and time!

I think you have to much time on your hands! Once again, thank you for steering the discussion back on course!

20. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    locked....