New guy with a question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by John_E_Davies, Apr 3, 2008.

1. John_E_Davies

John_E_Davies New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Spokane, WA USA
    Hi... First post!

I have a new blue "2nd Gen" P-3AT that I fluff and buffed before firing. I polished the feed ramp and upper part of the chamber to a mirror shine, cleaned up the breech face (a little - it sure is ugly under 10x magnification) and lubed the action and rails with Brownell's Action Lube Plus. I installed the gel pads and slip-on grip cover from http://www.ktaddons.com/, and it feels great without a significant increase in thickness..

Today I broke it in with 100 rds of FMJ (Blazer brass and sumpin else?) and had no problems except.... the first round into the chamber would usually hang, sometimes I even had to nudge the slide to get it to snap forward. Once shooting there were no chambering problems. Afterwards, the ramp looked fine with slight wear marks, but no roughness anywhere.

The rangemaster took a look at the slide and suggested rounding the sharp bottom point off the extractor. Will this help with the feeding?

Is this a problem or just characteristic of the gun?

I also shot 40 rounds of Corbon DPX (80 gr Barnes)and 12 rounds of DoubleTap (90 gr Gold Dot). Both shot very well with no problems. The DPX is a joy - mild recoil and excellent bullet performance from what I have read. The DoubleTap load hurts! It is very stout with an advertised 1000 fps out of this pistol. I'll burn up the DT stuff another day. The extra box of DPX is now my daily carry ammo. Even at US$25 per box of 20 it's a great choice for this little BUG.

I plan to carry this as a backup for my Glock 23. Now that I know I like it and it shoots, I need to order a spare mag, belt clip and a decent pocket holster.

Thanks for any help or info about the feed issue. I bet it's here someplace but I am not much good at searching....

John Davies
    Spokane WA

2. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Welcome,

DON'T touch the extractor! If you round that you will have eject problems. The First round is common and you need to not be gentle when releasing the slide to rack it. It will improve as you fire more rounds.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to ktog.

in case you missed sprinter's comment

Don't round the extractor.

It might get better loading the first round as things get slicker (or you pull back farther and release quicker ;))

I just have a habit of bumping the slide to verify full battery ::)

4. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    LOL, maybe I was a bit strong on that ;D But Don't round the ejector ;)

5. John_E_Davies

John_E_Davies New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Spokane, WA USA
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Let me make sure I have this right: do NOT round the extractor!!!!

;D

John Davies
    Spokane WA

6. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    +1, don't mess with the extractor (except to make sure the screw is tight).

Your first round hang up is normal. You really have to let the slide utilize it's full travel under spring pressure to get that first round in. As long as it functions fine while firing that hang on the first round is a non issue.

After doing a F&B with full polish job on the ramp I test one of these by purposely making the first round hang up & then see if touching the rear of the slide makes it go into battery. Slight nudge, good to go. Harder push, polish some more.

This does seem to be more of an issue with JHPs.

Sounds like your P3 is working fine. Have fun & shoot it some more.

7. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome!
    Don't touch the... I think you get the hint by now. Enjoy!

8. keltec-NK

keltec-NK New Member

May 23, 2007
    oh go ahead and touch it!! ;)just don't fondle it. :-*