New guy with a new gun

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Poppers_2-4, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    After waiting months for a P-3AT, I finally found one. At the shop I noticed it was hard to rack. I have quite a few semi's (M&P, Beretta's, Bulgarian Mak, PM9...) , and this seemed to be the hardest. First thing I did was field strip it sand with 400 sandpaper, then buff it out with a dremel and Flitz polish just like the directions show. I oiled it up real good and it's still a bear to rack. Is this common with a new gun? A little piece fell out of the frame when I turned it upside down, but it looks like there's only one way to put it in.
    Any help appreciated!!!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Congrates on the P3AT and welcome to KTOG.

YOU are one lucky person :eek:
    That little piece, the ejector, has a tendancy to run away. apperantly you were able to capture it before it could ;D

A lot of folks complain about racking the slide, I guess since it is kind of hard to grasp.

I would recomend grease on the hammer face, and besure the hammer face and the slides center where it slides is smooth.

another thing is to be sure the recoil springs get seated in the slide when you put them in. I give mine a little twist (left handed) to "screw" them in

3. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Thanks for the tips. I stripped it down again and made sure all the shavings/grit were cleaned off and oiled moderately. In a couple more hours I'll run 50 or so and see what happens!

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Poppers,

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to reading your range report.

As to the slide stiffness I can say that my older P3AT racks more easily than my newer P3AT. I've a newer still Glock 26 that I can compare to and report back here - assuming I can remember to do so  :)

Good luck with your new P3AT...

5. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    welcome aboard....the more you use it the easier it will become....

6. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Well, it was in the 90's with the humidity in the high 80's when I took the blue to the club. I was the only one shooting so I set up 4 targets and began the test run. NOT a single problem using WWB. I dumped a box of shells in my pocket and shot 6, loaded 6 more. I was going to quit after 50 but figured what the hell and dumped 50 more in my pocket. Shot the last 25 one handed at 10 yards (shot them all in about 20 minutes) and I can't tell you how much I like this gun. I was going to get the Ruger LCP for myself for Fathers Day, but I think I'll go lighter and leave my requests for a hard chrome with the dealers. This gun is great and the "Alley Cat" and 642 can take a break for the rest of the summer!!!. ;D ;D ;D