Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry to question vomit on my first post, but, well, you know how it goes.

1.) I'm loving the muzzle brake options, but are there any muzzle brakes that both reduce recoil significantly (ie - Hi-Tech's howitzer brake) and allows you to put in some chokes? Part of the joy of having a shotgun are choke options, after all. Is there something that makes a brake & chokes mutually exclusive?
2.) I bought my KSG PPT (private transfer, fully background checked because I live in CA... I know, I know...) so it's not exactly mint out of the box. I'm still eligible for KelTech's warranties, etc., right? How do I go about registering for those, etc.?
3.) The right tube magazine of my KSG's follower is a little.. out? As in, to switch from right magazine to left magazine, I have to push the follower or shell in the right magazine down a little for the selector switch to switch over, because it sticks a little too far out for a smooth switch. Pursuant to #2 above, is that something I should contact KelTech about, or is this something I can fix with the first time I disassemble for a proper cleaning?
4.) I haven't fed any live shells through it yet (not enough time): I've been dry fire practicing with dummy shells to keep from damaging the firing pin, etc. That's ok, right? I figure I should do that, first, to get a feel for the rhythm of the shotgun, to get a better feel for it, etc.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm sorry to question vomit on my first post, but, well, you know how it goes.

1.) I'm loving the muzzle brake options, but are there any muzzle brakes that both reduce recoil significantly (ie - Hi-Tech's howitzer brake) and allows you to put in some chokes? Part of the joy of having a shotgun are choke options, after all. Is there something that makes a brake & chokes mutually exclusive?
2.) I bought my KSG PPT (private transfer, fully background checked because I live in CA... I know, I know...) so it's not exactly mint out of the box. I'm still eligible for KelTech's warranties, etc., right? How do I go about registering for those, etc.?
3.) The right tube magazine of my KSG's follower is a little.. out? As in, to switch from right magazine to left magazine, I have to push the follower or shell in the right magazine down a little for the selector switch to switch over, because it sticks a little too far out for a smooth switch. Pursuant to #2 above, is that something I should contact KelTech about, or is this something I can fix with the first time I disassemble for a proper cleaning?
4.) I haven't fed any live shells through it yet (not enough time): I've been dry fire practicing with dummy shells to keep from damaging the firing pin, etc. That's ok, right? I figure I should do that, first, to get a feel for the rhythm of the shotgun, to get a better feel for it, etc.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Before you do anything take it out a shoot the dang thing. It may function fine with real shells. As to a muzzle brake....you do realize one of the things a actual brake will do is increase the noise at your ear? Personally I would rather get a bruised shoulder, although I found the KSG to not be abusiveif pulled firmly into the shoulder, than subject my ears to anymore abuse than necessary. Bruises heal, tinnitus is forever.
Kel Tec warranty is only for the original purchaser.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

And yes, I realize muzzle brakes increase the noise in the immediate area: that's what ear protection is for, too.

If I can go without either hearing loss or a bruised shoulder, why not?

And I'm not immediately jumping into a muzzle brake: right now, that question is more a matter of background research.

I will absolutely take the gun out for shooting, first, before I make any modifications/changes to the gun. I'd just like to know the next couple of steps before I take them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My KSG didn’t play well with the dummy shells I tried, but did much better with real ammo. Hopefully the issue you see will not occur with live ammo.
good luck

·
Registered
834 Posts
Allow your shoulder to toughen up and you won't need to fiddle with all that BS. And it costs absolutely nothing and adds no weight or length. And it pays dividends down the road should you ever want to shoot other guns that kick.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Muzzle brakes on shotguns are of little value, however directing gas upward does help with muzzle lift, to a degree.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If someone else bought your gun at an FFL, he's the original owner and you don't qualify for the warranty.
If Kel-Tec asks for a copy of the bill of sale from the FFL you'll be out of luck on a warranty repair since Kel-Tec only gives a warranty to the original owner.
With that said, if the gun has an honest factory defect I suspect they'll take care of it.

For a choke/compensator, I'm not up on what may be available today. These days most manufacturers have gon to screw-in choke tubes, not adjustable chokes, although they may still be made.
Years past there were products like the Cutt's Compensator for shotguns that were both adjustable chokes and muzzle brakes.
These had to be brazed to the muzzle.
Since Kel-Tec seems to use a proprietary barrel thread, I suspect that only a muzzle device specifically made for the Kel-Tec's would work short of having a device brazed on or having a machine shop custom build you an adapter that would have threads to fit the Kel-Tec barrel and threads to accept a choke/compensator device.

Your magazine problem is commonly found when using snap caps.
Snap caps are just that, not true dummy shells.

Another very common problem is that the LOADED length of shotgun shells can vary quite a bit.
A 2 3/4 inch shells is 2 3/4 inches long WHEN FIRED.
How long an UNFIRED shell is, is determined by what type of slug or pellets the load is, and how the manufacturer crimped it.
Unfired shells can be shorter or longer depending on these factors, so one brand/type of shell may be just enough longer that you can't quite get the last shell in the magazine, or the selector is hard to switch to the other side.

About all you can do is try a different brand/type of shell to find one that will allow a full load and easier switching.

Last, operating a gun with snap caps, and even real dummy rounds is not a good substitute for actually SHOOTING the gun.
Before starting to trouble shoot any problems just take the gun out and shoot a box or two of ammo.
You can still find birdshot loads in most stores, but defense ammo can be a problem to find.
Just shoot what you can get to find out if you actually have issues with the gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The challenge I'm facing re: the right side tube is that the follower sticks out a bit even when unloaded. Half a millimeter or so, but it's noticeable if I look carefully.

I'll see how it works on the range, of course, but this might need a little work. Them's the breaks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Compare the two followers, especially if they're after market replacements.
They should be the same length.
Even though one sticks out of the magazine tube slightly more, that shouldn't have any effect unless one is longer and takes up more room in the magazine tube.

Checking them is a problem in the KSG because you have to remove the magazine caps, and that requires a wrench and light heat to melt the Loctite.
There are two types of cap wrenches recommended to insure no damage to the gun and an easy job. Other methods and tools can cause real grief..........

The factory followers are white plastic, and for no really good reason owners replace them with after market accessory parts.
In a number of cases replacement followers have caused problems in Kel-Tec shotguns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been happy with the Hi Tech Custom Concepts Defender choke adapter. It's heavy enough that I'd say it helps with muzzle lift. Getting the barrel nut off pretty much requires a impact wrench unless you're okay marring up your shotgun. The followers were a lil tough to replace, but it is doable. If you plan on putting a muzzle brake/adapter on, I HIGHLY recommend doing the followers at the same time. You have to remove the muzzle device to get into the magazine tubes. Don't be like me and rocksett your brake and then have to get that off to do the followers.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I can't remember whose choke adapter I have. All I know is it's parkerized in steel and takes Remchokes, not Winchokes. I put it on the front of the KSG as a little bit of finger insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my KSG from a late relative who put aftermarket tacticool parts on it that made it not function. Wouldn't chamber rounds. I called Kel Tec and said I would pay for it to get repaired and to put on whatever OEM parts they had to. They said it just send it in with a letter stating what's wrong, contact information, and a return label. They said it would be a flat $40 charge for repair plus cost of parts and they would call me for payment when they figured what parts needed to be replaced. Apparently though, it was a quick fix and they didn't charge me anything. So you might get lucky like I did, or at worst, you're paying $40 plus parts even if you're not the original owner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts