New Guy Here

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ODA_CDR, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ODA_CDR

ODA_CDR New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Well not new to shooting though. I am a retired Special Forces Detachment Commander. Been shooting .45 and 9mm for years. I have to say that my eyes and abilities are quickly falling. I picked up a used P-3AT and love carrying it all day now. The weapon looked to be well carried but not fired. Today, my first full day with it, I put the Crimson Trace laser on it and use the Desantis holster in my front pocket. I took it to the range today and fired 15 rds of Federal 90 grain Hydra Shock JHP, which did well. Then I fired 10 rounds of PMC Bronze 90 Grain FMJ, had 3 FTF and some FTE. Then fired 25 rds of Browning Short MFS? had a 3 primer struck misfires and some FTE. Got tired of pulling immediate action and fired my other guns the rest of the day.

Not once did the slide lock to the rear on an empty mag. I've never had that happen on any other gun. Is that normal for the P-3AT?

I did start with an extremely clean and lubed gun. I'm not sure of the guns round count before I got it.

Great site. Thanks for all your comments, I've learned quite a bit about this little beauty in short time here.

2. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    One of the unique qualities of the P-3AT is that the slide does NOT "lock to the rear" upon emptying a magazing - it's designed that way intentionally.

3. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    +1 on the no lock back after the last round. You'll have to count your shots.

Some of these guns are particular about the ammo that they like. :( Mine does not like American Eagle or Lawman but shoots just about everything else. I've had no problems with any JHP rounds. The Lawman may have been a bit over length on some of the rounds. Did a side by side comparison and there was a noticable difference.

Try cleaning the firing pin channel and also after you put the pin back in, locktite the extractor screw. If it is just a "little" loose you will get inconsistent ejection.

Good luck!

4. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Welcome. Enjoy your new gun. :)

5. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    WElcome and Thank You for Your Service. I have a couple of CC pistols but the P3AT goes 95% of the time is so easy to conceal no matter what you are wearing.

6. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Look into the Fluff and Buff information on this site. That process will go a LONG way in helping the guy work more reliably. These guns also frequently require a break in period, so give it a good cleaning, then put some more rounds through it, and see how it does then. You will probably find that the more you shoot it, the better it works. Also, be sure you're not limp wristing, that can cause failure to eject. I hope you get the gun smoothed out. Welcome to the site.

7. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Hey ODA_CDR: Welcome to site. Hope all you ever do is practice and carry. My first question when I read your post was "where did you find all that ammunition?". Many post about lack of 380 ammunition but you seem to not only have some but have a bit of everything.

8. ODA_CDR

ODA_CDR New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome all. No problem finding ammo, but paying up to $29 for 50, not used to that. The public range I go to sells a max of one box, The gunshop I bought the gun from had plenty, I got some for carrying and some for familiarization. I plan to go back out next week and fire some more. I did do the ramp buff and shined the rails somewhat. A little a time, have to see what I've done so far to see if more is needed. I did find the JHP works better than the FMJ, I guess thats a good thing. Have to work on that grip. Thanks again.