new guy here..HI

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gapman, Feb 27, 2009.

1. gapman

gapman New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    just wanted to say hi to everyone. i have just purchased a used p3at. it appears to be from the dreaded early J series serials. there is a very very small amount of slide peening. i am having trouble telling if the thing is blued or parkerized. it looks like both to me depending on what light i am under and ive been around guns a long time. i am off to shoot it for the first time and i will report back. it seems to not like to feed the first round when hand feeding. if you are in the atlanta, ga area and want to go shooting some time let me know. im always ready.
    john

2. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Be sure to let the slide slam shut, Jim <><

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome to KTOG Gapman! If you see signs of peening then you have a couple of options: 1) Call KT and they will replace your slide at no cost, or 2) get a nylon washer from JFB (I think) and you can fix the problem without sending part of your gun away.

Peening sucks, I know. I had one of the very few hard chrome slides that had been milled, drilled, or whatever a little too deep. KT had the problem fixed within 4 days or something like that. They even went out of their way to send me a bunch of spare parts and told me to keep all the parts from the old slide as well. Their customer service is one of the best I've ever seen. Always call the number instead of sending an email because they don't always respond to those.

If you want to go the other route and cantact JFB he is a moderator and easy to find. Through my personal dealings with him he is a grat guy and many other ktog members use his washers in their guns and swear by them.

Good luck with getting the problem fixed!

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Double +'s on the welcome.  Many have chosen to use the washer that JFB designed (and Princemoore now sells by they way, not JFB).  But don't get too excited about peening yet.  You said something about a small amount.  A small ridge is normal on P3ATs, that is not peening.  THIS is peening:

[​IMG]

I bought a handful or two of P3ATs in that range.  One I sent back for the slide to be replaced and others went forever with the washers in them.  

And there is a primer on picture postings in the first forum "Feedback and Announcements" area. Post a pic of the slide and maybe we can help with park'd v. blu'd. The easiest way to tell is look at the barrel. Blu'd slides have metal barrels that are dull but silver. Park'd slides also have park'd barrels that will be black.

-Scott

5. gapman

gapman New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    scott

thanks, i have the silver barrel so i guess that settles that. this thing shoots great. 7 yds to 15 or so i was dead on. i only had some wolf .380 and it didnt like that stuff at all. my wife's p230 double fed many many times with it today too. thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. i look forward to many great posts.
    john

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard gapman!

I've got two P3ATs, my J2Rxx has a peened slide but not as bad as the one pictured above. I didn't even realize I had the peening until I found KTOG in searching for help with my mag. drop problem. I bought some nylon washers off this site and with one shapped and installed I've not notice any advancement of the peening. This is after many hundreds of rounds. My newer P3AT, JPMxx, is without problems so having some down time while the slide goes back to Kel-Tec is not an issue, its just that when I think of sending it in it is inconvient and when its been convient I'm not thinking about returning the slide. Oh well, one of these days. :)

Take care...

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Word of advice - no wolf. Momma (Kel-Tec) says no non-brass ammo.

-Scott

8. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Hi Gapman, Welcome. I'm up the road in Dawsonville. If you check out the "ktog goes local" we had a thread for getting together with some north ga and sc folks. The gods conspired against us, then Xmass set in and we were aiming to get it up and running early spring. Maybe Enigma4you will start it up again (Hint, hint). There's a bunch of threads on what you accually carry... Gives good insite for buying rounds (if you can find any). Jump into "other guns" and show us some of your "other guns". In for a penny, in for a pound.
    Again, welcome. Lop

9. ch00sen1

ch00sen1 New Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North Florida
    Hi guys I'm new also and may be having the same issue. Sorry if I'm jacking the thread.

I've done the fluff & buff thing but with a full mag the slide will not return fully. When the count gets down to 3 it works great. It's a J1Dxx series. I've fought with it and put 200 rounds through it. A slight bump on the slide moves it back in place. I was going to send it back to KT but I can't find my receipt.
    Is there a way to fix it myself or will they fix it if I can't prove I'm the original owner?

10. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Are you talking about hand cycling or actual shooting? After 400 rounds mine still needs a bump the first couple of rounds hand cycling but during actual shooting it functions perfect.

11. ch00sen1

ch00sen1 New Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North Florida
    Are you talking about hand cycling or actual shooting? After 400 rounds mine still needs a bump the first couple of rounds hand cycling but during actual shooting it functions perfect.[/quote]

Either way. I wouldn't worry about it if it was only hand cycling. If I ever needed that 2nd-3rd shoot fast I'd be screwed.