New guy here...extremely pleased with new P3AT!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by drg-racr, Jul 29, 2009.

1. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I have been waiting for a Kahr P380 I have on order for a while now and I figured in the meantime I would pick up a P3AT so I would not be without a pocket pistol.  My local gunshop had a blued one for 269.00 so I picked it up all the while wondering if I would regret this purchase.  I took it home and disassembled it to check things out and clean and lube,  I was pleased to find a nicely polished feedramp.  I figured before I did any smoothing and polishing anywhere I would shoot it to see how it was out of the box.  I shot 5 different types of hollow point and FMJ ammo that I had with zero problems!  I shot 2 clips of each ammo for a total of 60 shots Monday night.  I figured I'd have a few jams since I was breaking it in but it ate everything,  even the Aguila H.P. with the large sharp hollow point.  Function wise it was excellent.  The only issue's I had were the common ones-sharp ridges on the front and back of the grip chewing my hand up and smileys.  I took care of the sharp grip areas with some fine sandpaper, I also smoothed all of the parting lines and edges at the clip mating area.  You cant even tell by looking at it that I touched it with sandpaper...once you finish it with a real fine paper everything blends together as you can see in the pictures.  It has no sharp areas now.  I did some lower feedramp work to give the nose of the bullets some more clearance and almost have the smiley situation under control.  Very light smileys now and only .003 setback of the bullets compared to .013 when the gun was out of the box with WWB flat nose 95gr ammo.  From what I understand there is no way to completely get rid of the smileys...just lessen them.  So I've had the P3AT for 3 days and I have done "out of the box" testing...feedramp mods and more testing and now today I fully polished all the internals that benefit from it. It is pure joy to rack the slide now!  It operates so smooth and is such a nice little gun.  Very impressed with it out of the box.  I was going to sell it once I got my Kahr P380 but I think I am going to have to keep this one.....  
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Re: New guy here...extremely pleased with new P3AT

DRG, Congrats on your new P3. Mine is my fav carry piece. Decent price too. Welcome to KTOG! Ask any questions you have. We are here to help each other and learn from one another.

Enjoy your new little friend.

tr

3. krunchnik

krunchnik New Member

Jul 28, 2009

I bought one within this last week also,just waiting to try it at the range,congrats on a good shooter,I am happy to be reading good reports on most the new ones.

4. Cincy_Ron

Cincy_Ron New Member

Jun 7, 2009

Is it just me or does the mag release look exceptionally large on his gun?!?

5. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

Must be you, looks just like mine.

Rick

6. frankalm

frankalm New Member

May 29, 2009

Congratulations!! Great range report, you can never have too many guns......keep it , you won't regret the purchase.

7. Walkers

Walkers New Member

Jun 20, 2009

Great gun huh? Thanks for the report, I love mine that I purchased a few months ago.

8. drg-racr

drg-racr New Member

Jul 29, 2009

I did a little more shooting last night and ended up having two that didn't eject out of about 25 shots. What normally is the cause of this? The extracter? The emptys were about 80% out of the chamber with the round below it pushing up on it. I haven't taken it down for cleaning yet...just wondering if there is anything I can look for when I do.

9. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

Welcome and congrats. on the new 3at. It seems the more recent production one's tend to be a little better out of the box.
    It's been awhile since I have seen that much .380 ammo at once, ;D.

10. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009

Congrats on the new gun!

11. JKMprof

JKMprof New Member

Jul 27, 2009

nice-looks good.
    I was able to completely eliminate the smileys. Of course, I got kind of aggressive on the ramp, but have had no issues.

12. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

It's usually dirt, especially on a new gun. As they break in it becomes less of an issue. Gotta keep 'em clean and lubed!

Bobo