New Guy, got a 3AT from Gander Mountain

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hipp, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Hipp

Hipp New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Hi Folks,

I finally did it, after carrying a Bersa 380 around for a year, I decided to go with smaller gun.  I was going to wait and see what the Ruger LCP's were like, but one of my best friends has carried Kel-Tecs for as long as I can remember, and he loves them.  And after spending the weekend reading these boards, it certainly appears that you folks like them too!

Right now, its in pieces in the box, little too tired to fluff and buff tonight, I'll do that tomorrow.

I now know why GM put the price up to $329.  It was so they could have a big sale for $269, that is what I bought it at.  I also had a $20 off $100 purchase that I used, so I got this little gal for $249 plus the governors cut.

Can't wait to get to the range, I have some winchester, remington, and my handloaded 380s to shoot.  Hopefully it will fire the corbons I was carrying in the Bersa.  Thanks for all the help, even though you didn't know I was listening, I was here ghosting around!

Thanks!  I'll keep you posted on the progress and results of the range trips.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG and congrates on the P3AT. Sure hope you can get all the pieces back together ;)

3. Hipp

Hipp New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm a little worried now. I feild stripped the gun, cleaned and lightly oiled it, and reassembled it. It seems like there is a bit of a gap between the front of the slide and the frame. And the slide seems to be just a bit loose. Did I do something wrong?

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    There will be a slight gap there so no, you did nothing wrong. Good job on the purchase and welcome!

5. boatnsc

boatnsc New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Congratulations on your new purchase, welcome to the KT forum, lots of info here but keepan eye on the little ejector part , it disappears very easily ,some folks put a little dab of silicone on it to hold it in place. It will really smooth out after about 200rds. especially with a little F@B  see TecWorks. l hope you never need to send it back, but if you do, KelTec has great service. BTW did you get blue,HC , or Parkerized. Great bunch of problem solvers on the forum too... :)

6. Hipp

Hipp New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    The only one they had was the blue, I would have gotten the parkerized if it had been available.

That little ejector fell out 3 times while I had it apart! First time it happened I panicked thinking a bunch of things fell out. But, atleast I'm getting good at putting it back in the slot. I like your idea about a dab of silicone, I'll try that next time.

7. Glad to have you here Hipp.

A gap between grip and slide is normal.

This photo shows what is a normal gap for the 3AT.
    [​IMG]

If you are like me, you may not like the idea of a dab a silicone in your gun. I use the same grease I use to lube my 3AT to hold in that ejector.

8. Chuck-Baby

Chuck-Baby New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    The first time I took my P3AT apart, the little ejector fell out and I thought I had broken something. Then like always, if everything else fails, read the instructions, and I found that it was suppose to look like that. Funny how that works. It is just a male thing I have had all my life.

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I don't know how many times I've stripped a P3AT.  I can still never put the ejector back in right the first time.  It's like some freakin' puzzle piece or something. Never did much care for puzzles.  :-[

10. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    A while back, after a good range day with my p3at, I stripped it down to clean and saw that I had left the ejector out the last time I had cleaned it( found ejector on floor under workbench). Never malfunctioned! I use the lube trick and double check before I put it back together no. Kinda embarrasing. :-[

11. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Usually, the gun will run fine without it.  The upcoming round will knock out the empty so sometimes the last round will not eject well, but usually that is not even a problem.  I too use a dab of grease on mine. I lost one a few years back so I keep a spare around these days, just in case. ;)

12. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Here is my "trick". All pieces are machined with a purpose, ....that little curve in it is to guide the rim towards the barrel. thus to the inside, pointing towards front ;)

trying to figure out the tonuge and groove was to tuff :-[

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Curve?  There's a curve?  Dang I need new glasses!  ;D

14. My guess is glasses would not help TX... Knowing JFB... he probably found the curve using 3 or 4 finely tuned micro calibration devices! ;D

15. Hipp

Hipp New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    That gap in the picture looks about what the one on my gun looks like. My gun doesn't look as pretty as that one though!

Now I just need to find some time, and some decent weather, to get to the range. Work, school, wife, kids, dogs, house, cars, and nasty rain and snow have been conspiring against me getting to the range.

Hmm, i guess I could put my BSA laser on it and hit the range some time at night after we get the kids to bed, and house is picked up, and homework is done, and bills are paid, and snow is shovelled.

Dang, I just need about 2 more hours in the day and I could own guns and shoot them too.

16. Zell

Zell New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I had that little jigsaw puzzle piece fall out on me the last time I cleaned it. I couldn't believe it and thought I'd broken something off the gun but nothing on the edges of the tiny piece looked jagged or broken. Finally I found the place it was suppose to go and felt relieved.