New grip available?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by swatz, Nov 28, 2008.

1. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Can't seem to find the answer to this ? using the search..can I order a new OD grip for my 1st gen P#AT from Kel-tec? I have a black grip now, but would like to have the option of changing things up...how difficult would it be to make the switch?
    Best, Steve

2. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    The switch is fairly easy. You can order one with the mag catch and hammer block installed, which makes it a 5-10 minute operation for about $25. You might want them to send you the model with the hammer block, and ask for the new style one that just came out and will reset after a short stroked trigger.

You need to let them know in no uncertain terms you need a First Gen grip. Availability may or may not be an issue - let us know what you find out in that regard.

3. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Thanks Pocketgun! I will give them a call Monday, and report back..Steve

4. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Perfect! When you get the grip, follow THESE instructions to take the old one off and put the new one on.

5. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Whoa! I hope I can figure this out lol! Thanks so much for the link, I will read it a dozen times or so and see if I think I can handle it! This is one of the best gun forums I have been part of by the way..
    Best, Steve

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Best of luck with it.  FWIW it is pretty easy for most people to figure out.  Thank yzguy for the website, posting links is easy.

7. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008

i was under the impression that the new block DOES NOT RESET after a short forward stroke...
    but only prevents short storking the trigger.  the trigger still has to come to a complete forward position
    to RESET. am i wrong?

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    i was under the impression that the new block DOES NOT RESET after a short forward stroke...
    but only prevents short storking the trigger.  the trigger still has to come to a complete forward position
    to RESET. am i wrong?[/quote]

No, you are correct.  But so is PG.  

With the older style trigger if you short stroked it would lock up and you would have to actually rack the slide (at least partially) before you could get a reset.  With the newer style block if you short stroke it nothing will happen (including firing) but you can then fully release the trigger to get a reset without having to rack the slide.

-Scott

9. WhyNotFab

WhyNotFab New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    FL
    How much would a new 2nd gen grip cost?

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    IIRC about $35 with the internals installed. Shipping from momma is a flat rate at about $7 (again, IIRC) so order a few things at the same time!

-Scott

11. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    to RESET. am i wrong?[/quote]

No, you are correct.  But so is PG.  

With the older style trigger if you short stroked it would lock up and you would have to actually rack the slide (at least partially) before you could get a reset.  With the newer style block if you short stroke it nothing will happen (including firing) but you can then fully release the trigger to get a reset without having to rack the slide.

-Scott[/quote]

damit i misread PG's post he did say AFTER a "short stroked trigger"
    i misread it thinking it said it would reset after "a short stroke OF the trigger"

my bad.... :-[

12. swatz

swatz New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    So I just called...no 1st gen OD grips left...crap! waited too long I guess, story of my life! lol Thanks for the help though guys..
    Best, Steve