New Gen II trigger issue

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by bcrow, Feb 9, 2018.

1. bcrow

bcrow Member

Oct 2, 2016
    Just picked up a brand new Gen II Beretta version Sub2K the other day. The issue I have is that the trigger contacts the trigger guard right before the break. Having shot a gen I sub2k I was expecting a less than stellar trigger but this kind of annoys me. It definitely negatively impacts the trigger pull and I would think Keltec would have caught this and not designed it to do this.
    My questions are:
    1. How are people fixing this (I assume Dremel)
    2: How widespread is this issue (I noted people had referenced this issue in the recent "trigger creep" thread).
    3: Do aftermarket triggers (MCarbo) have this same clearance issue?

2. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    My OEM trigger impacts the trigger guard but only after sear-break so it has no influence on trigger weight. Regardless I'm fitting the M-Carbo trigger before my next shooting session.

Mine is the Multi-Mag version using Beretta magazines so we have different grip assemblies which may have different trigger/sear pivot geometry.

-- Chuck

3. Shoothemoon

Shoothemoon Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Mexico, Missouri
    Get the M*CARBO Trigger, trigger guard & spring kit. When you have it apart polish the contact points on the hammer and sear. This will make a big difference. Aluminum trigger and trigger guard fit perfectly.
    Good luck.

4. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I installed the M*CARBO trigger kit and their other internal upgrades yesterday afternoon. No need to polish the hammer/sear contacts in my view and too many firearms triggers have been buggered by improper polishing -- tread lightly if you do this. Completed job yielded a very nice trigger -- yet to be test fired.

Reassembly of the grip on this carbine is tedious and not something I want to repeat unless necessary so I put in the trigger guard, extended magazine catch, etc. (literally every M*CARBO product). If you have the MultiMag version find the correct Allen wrench to swap out the actual mag catch before disassembly! I recall it's 1.5mm. I had the proper size in my small tools but without it the carbine will sit open on your bench until you find one. Recommend blue LockTite on these screws and those securing the hinge and latch.

BTW there was no/zero/nada adhesive securing the collar at the rear of the grip. Came off without tools. The M*CARBO wrench wasn't necessary but is a handy tool.

-- Chuck

5. Shoothemoon

Dec 24, 2017
    Mexico, Missouri
    Chuck ...... I am curious. How did triggers get BUGGERED up by polishing?

6. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Too aggressive polishing can radically change the sear angles and make the trigger subject to bumps, etc. as the sear and trigger slide apart on their own. Use of the dreaded Dremel tool should be avoided. A Q-tip and polish is less likely to bugger the sear angles if you think necessary. My sample of one (1) Sub2000 indicates a very nice trigger can be obtained without this risk.

-- Chuck

3wbdriver likes this.
  7. bcrow

bcrow Member

Oct 2, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback- I have the same: Multimag running Beretta (soon to be sig226). Mine definitely contacts before the break. Infact, if I hold the trigger guard in its fully closed position with my off hand while pulling the trigger, I can barely get it to fire- takes quite a bit of force! Looks like I will dremel for now and Mcarbo will be getting my money in the near future.

8. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    You should be able to shorten the trigger with hand tools using a rod or wedge to place the trigger guard out of the way.

It appears possible to change the magazine catch without disassembling the grips if you have long enough fingers or something else that can press the specific latch against the magazine catch shell while you start the lil' Allen screws. Easy to accomplish with the grips apart and the M*Carbo video is priceless with lots of use of the pause key. There's a JPG of all the different latches someone posted recently. They're all very different so orientation of the latch in the shell is important.

-- Chuck

9. bcrow

bcrow Member

Oct 2, 2016
    Thanks for the advice. Got the trigger shortened today and it made quite a difference! Now I am just hoping the grittiness on take up works itself out as I break it in.
    I pulled the mag catch and replaced it a couple times today (to measure and see if I could simply flip the Beretta catch so it catches higher for sig mags- would prob have worked but it moved it ~.2" too high for the sig mags). Just balanced it on my finger and lined up the holes.

10. Shoothemoon

Dec 24, 2017
    Mexico, Missouri
    POLISHING will fix that grittiness.

11. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Agreed but that requires opening the grips and messing with all the internals. If one is going to do that the M*Carbo trigger kit and trigger guard will solve just about everything.

-- Chuck

12. Shoothemoon

Dec 24, 2017
    Mexico, Missouri
    Not true. I installed the trigger spring kit, trigger and trigger guard. All from M*CARBO. I put it back together and still had that gritty two-stage trigger feel. I took it apart again and polished the hammer and sear. I now have a near perfect trigger pull.

13. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    No true for your sample it seems... :) Mine is very nice. We're both dealing with sample of one (1).

Cracking the grips just to polish the sear area is a hassle and makes little sense (to me). May as well do some internal upgrades at the same time.

-- Chuck