New Fobus holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by torrent, Jul 27, 2009.

1. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I just got one of these after a long wait and even though the paper says it will fit the P3at I'm not convinced. The holster seems too tight and the area around the trigger guard spreads out when I push the pistol in. It may fit the P32 well enough and says so on the package, but I'm not sure it's suitable for the P3at. Here it is:http://www.fobusholster.com/products/KEL_TEC_32_380_P3AT_PADDLE_HOLSTER-267-16.html
    Have any of you guys tried this particular holster out and do you have an comments about it?

2. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I picked up a Fobus holster marked "KTP ND" for my P3AT. If I recall aright, the packaging said it was for the LCP and P3AT. It fits my pistol very well, and has an adjustable "clamping screw" (for want of better terminology) to vary the retention force.

Looking at the Fobus website shows that the holster is their model KT2G. It is what they term a "second generation paddle holster."

I like the holster, and it conceals reasonably well. I'll continue using it until I find something I like better.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The P32 and P3AT do have different dimensions.  With a tight fitting kydex holster, they are not really interchagable.  I see that Fobus does try to make do with one holster for both guns in some of their models.  IMO, that's wrong.  It is just not likely to fit both guns well. You may be able to apply some heat with a heat gun or blow dryer and stretch it a little for a better fit. :-/

4. krustymc223

krustymc223 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Ohio
    . . I've been using this Fobus holster for a few years. It fits my 1st gen great!

5. torrent

Dec 18, 2006
    I thought about the heat gun idea but wasn't sure if that would work with the gun in the holster.  I'm afraid too much heat may warp the grip or something on the inside.  My gut is telling me to take this one back.

6. torrent

Dec 18, 2006
    Is it the same holster I posted the link to and does it bulge around the trigger guard?

7. krustymc223

krustymc223 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Ohio
    .. torrent.. It bulges out about 1/8" but the P3 locks in tight

8. krustymc223

krustymc223 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Ohio
    .. and yes it's the same holster.

9. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I have a Fobus paddle holster for the large Glock 20, so, really, not in the same league as the P-3AT. I might have sold it, but I don't use it. I prefer the Uncle Mike's paddle holster. It fits perfectly, and the retention is just right IMO. Unfortunately, I didn't see any P-3AT holsters from Uncle Mike's on MidwayUSA.com. Maybe Uncle Mike's figures that anyone carrying a P-3AT wants a pocket holster or maybe an IWB holster and if they're going to open carry OWB, they'll have a bigger pistol.

I saw a YouTube video complaining about paddle holsters being so weak that they can be broken at the pivot if someone grabs your gun. It seemed to be a criticism of Fobus in particular. If so, that may be the reason for the Fobus Generation 2 paddle holsters.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ[/ame]

I'm convinced that my Unkle Mike's paddle holster is secure. I tried the technique shown in the video and weapon retention was not a problem.

The Blackhawk SERPA holsters look nice too. The one I was looking at had a positive pushbutton release, although the retention using the molded fit on my Uncle Mike's paddle holster seems very good to me.

I agree with TxCajun. Fit is very important on a Kydex holster, especially one that uses the molded fit to retain the weapon instead of having a pushbutton release. I'd want a holster molded for that exact pistol and not designed to fit anything about the same size.

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Due to the totally different shape of the slide, the 1st gen guns should take an entirely different Fobus holster.  IIRC, they stock for both 1st and 2nd gen pistols.  I do see where one supposedly fits both generations of the P3AT and the P32.  That stinks.   

Torrent.  Before sending it back, I might call Fobus and complain.  Let them know that the dimensions are different on the two pistols and see what they have to say.  Maybe they have a suggestion for making it fit.   :-/

Or, maybe exchange it.  I see they do have a Fobus Evolution specifically for the 2nd gen P3AT. It's the first one listed here:
    http://www.fobusholster.com/index.p...=all&search_str=kel-tec&x=28&y=11

11. torrent

Dec 18, 2006
    Alright, since L4E is the second person to wonder why I want to carry a wimpy little gun OWB I'm going to reconsider my options. :p I believe Fobus made an error when they designed this holster, and in fact, it should be a little bigger. BM400 says I can let the gun sit in the holster for a couple of days and it will stretch to fit, or sand off some high points. Tomorrow I'll call the customer service number that came with the holster and report the problem and see what they recommend. There is a good chance they will tell me to send it back in exchange for another or my money back.

12. krustymc223

krustymc223 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Ohio
    .. torrent As stated before, my P3 1st gen fits the Fobus KT32. 2nd gen fits the Fobus KT2G Evolution holster.

13. torrent

Dec 18, 2006
    Ok, after sleeping on it I decided the best thing to do was return the holster since it wasn't an exact fit and exchange it for one for my P11. It will also fit the P40 if I ever get lucky enough to run into one of those somewhere. I'm much happier this way.

14. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The P40 has a longer slide than the P11. They may or may not both fit the smae Kydex holster. If it was open ended on the bottom they'd be more likely to fit since the slide could stick out of the bottom. Anyway, the P11 may be a better candidate for OWB.

15. Goldtanker

Goldtanker New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    I have one of these holsters (must be an older model as there is no adjustment).  It fits tightly on the trigger guard of my '03 model P3AT and makes withdrawal difficult.  As a result, I don't use it much.  On the plus side, there is no danger that the pistol will fall out of the holster.

16. JB

JB Guest

My P3AT is a first gen.  My LGS only had FOBUS for the second gen and they let me try one out.  Works great with my 1st gen and I bought it.  There is a retention screw on mine that I think I remember loosening a little for a better fit.

Yes, I carry a little P3AT OWB in a Fobus.  Yes, I thought about it and I am doing it on purpose.  See, I really dislike pocket carry - it is too slow, for me, if I ever needed the gun.  In fact, the more I pocket carry the more I hate it.  Now, if the P3AT is playing BUG, then pocket carry in the offhand pocket is fine.  When it is primary, not so much.

IWB carry of a P3AT does not work with my build.  I've tried it.

In a FOBUS OWB holster, my P11 can hide fairly well underneath a longish, unbuttoned and untucked Hawaiian shirt.  So can my .357 snubbie in the leather OWB holster I made for it.  However, this means wearing a tucked-in T-shirt with a cover shirt - which I don't like to do in the hottest/most humid part of East Tennessee summers unless my assessment of the likely threat level overrides my desire not to sweat like a pig all day.  The P3AT is small enough that, even OWB in a FOBUS, it completely disappears under an untucked t-shirt but is much more accessible and much quicker to deploy than pocket carry - especially when I am sitting down.  In fact, depending upon how I am dressed, I actually think that (with my build) OWB in a Fobus is less noticeable than pocket carry - both to observers and to me.  The retention is great so I have no worries about it falling out.

17. jlm741

jlm741 New Member

May 20, 2009
    Goldtanker.. Same design holster for P-11. I would almost rip my pants off trying to draw. I put a clip on my gun and the screws that held it on spread the holster just enough that it holds great but it is much easier to draw. You might try replacing your front frame pin with a clip holding screw or there's a post here somewhere, where you could get the same results from a pin replacement purchased from Ace Hardware. Not sure if it will work on the P-3AT though.

18. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    If it's model KTP11 then they both will work in it.