New Fiber Optic Pics

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HOUSER52, Sep 17, 2010.

1. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I finally installed my fiber optic front sight today. Now I'm waiting on the loctite to dry before shooting it, then I'll post the results.
    The pics make it look bigger than it actually is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KelTex78

KelTex78 Active Member

Jan 10, 2009

3. glove

glove Active Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Ohio
    Looks good where did you get it? What size tap did you use to fit it to the slide?
    Dave Z

4. jimls

jimls New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Can't wait to hear how it works, and yes I'd like to the tap size and source. A tritium would be nice alternative.

Jim

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

6. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    It looks cool and not trying to rain on your parade but wont it shoot low and worse snag on draw? I like to just point and shoot. No aiming or laser.

7. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010
    The parade is not a wash out yet and I'm trying to be optimistic about the experiment. ;)
    It will probably impact lower than with the factory sight but I won't know how much until I shoot it then I'll just correct for the difference. I've already tried drawing from my Bear Creek wallet holster and I can tell no difference in the draw or snagging. I guess if I had the gun concealed in panty hose it might catch on the way out.
    I can still just point and shoot it if I need/want to but now I have usable sights that I can see if I need/want them.

Who knows, I may hate the sight but until I take it to the range and put it to the test I'll never know for sure. Since the slide is now threaded I can always try another fiber optic or plain bead if this one doesn't pan out.

I got everything from Brownells. They sell a kit with the correct size drill bit, 6-48 tap and 2 beads in the kit. I just read the sight specs and picked the smallest ones they had. They also had tritium beads but they were bigger so I didn't get them.

8. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Good luck and have fun!

9. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010

You bet. Thanks.

10. Jimbo_47

Jimbo_47 New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I like it! Just the fact that you now have it drilled and tapped for a sight, leaves you with a lot of options should that sight not work!

Pay attention KT!

11. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

If worse came to worse and the sight is shooting too low Houser could always carefully needle file, or turn the bottom of the sight block reducing the sights height and raising the point of impact. Its a thought.

Best Regards:

12. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I put the .130" threaded brass bead on the gun today to see how it would look. I can see it just as well as the fiber optic and it makes for a cleaner installation.

[​IMG]

13. LuckyGunner

LuckyGunner New Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I like the brass bead. Have you taken it out to shoot yet?

14. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I shot it about a dozen times using the bead before it got too dark.
    With the larger bead sight it shot lower than the factory sight but I had no problems making quick center mass hits out to 7 yards. Aiming at the upper chest it was impacting just above the sternum. When making slow head shots on an IDPA style target I aimed at the forehead and was impacting between where the upper jaw and chin would be.

I'll shoot it enough to learn the best sight picture for a precision shot. It's now a lot more fun to shoot with a sight I can see.

15. Jimbo_47

Jimbo_47 New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I like the bead better than the fiber optic one you had before. It looks sturdier like it belongs on a daily carry gun, and also appears to inhance the purpose of what the gun is intended for, and that is a self defense weapon, which I think was your intention anyway.

The fiber optics being plastic, probably should be used on a range pistol only!

16. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    It's a brass bead. You can file the tip down a bit and bring your POA up to be more in line with your POI.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010

duh, why didn't i think of that?  ::)
    Sometimes the simplest things are staring you in the face and you don't see it.

Thanks!

18. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I like the brass bead. It got me wondering if there is enough width at the rear of the slide to drill and tap for two rear beads. That would take care of the POA/POI issue. The stock "crown" would have to be ground down, I'm sure. Just thinking...

19. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 Active Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Filed off about half of the bead and it's still very easy to see.
    I'll shoot it to check the POI this evening at the range.

[​IMG]