Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Visited the local Cabela's today for some more carry ammo. I noticed a different box design for Corbon .32ACP and noticed the bullet was different from their usual JHP. It looks like a Gold Dot bullet. I know from seeing various gel tests and from my own experience with ammo tests that Corbon JHP tends to expand well, but has limited penetration and tends to shed its jacket. I also know Gold Dots in .32 often don't expand well (if at all) possibly due to Speer's factory loadings being slower than Corbon's. If Corbon has teamed up with Speer and loads the Gold Dots at their typically hot loadings, this may be a fairly decent JHP cartridge for the P-32. A 60gr. Gold Dot moving at or near 1000fps should be fast enough to achieve some level of expansion and maintain reasonable penetration depths. They had 2 boxes available and I went home with both. I had plans to either make some gel blocks or purchase some Sim-Test for a range visit in the near future.

New Corbon box design (at least new to me):

The cases have "Corbon" stamped on them:

Definitely looks like a Gold Dot bullet crimped in a Corbon case:

Corbon cartridge standing next to my usual carry ammo - Buffalo Bore 75gr. HCFN:

·
Registered
220 Posts
That sure is a new HP from the previous dark blue box version. I'd love to dump a couple into a SIM-TEST block and see of they can better the 7.5" of penetration I got with the old HP design. Unfortunately, our Cabelas doesn't open until later this summer.

·
Administrator
31,990 Posts
60 grain is light, their are heavier loads in 70-72 grain available.
Those are FMJ weights for 32 cal. JHPs are typically 60 grain.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
What about the corbon Pow'rball ammo?
Feeds and sized like a FMJ (no rimlock), anyone tested how it expands from a p-32?
Hi,

The 32 ACP Powerball expansion can be iffy from a P-32. The round is a reliable expander from 3.25" (FN 1910/Walther PPK) or 3.75" (Colt 1903/Walther PPK) length barrel. The rounds that didn't expand tests had the same pentration as the expanded rounds but flattened sideways, and violently tumbled. The 60 grain bullets are too short to fully seat out to full length and maintain enough bearing area to prevent round setback. i hope the info helps.

Best Wishes::)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ljutic, I saw your ammo test on your blog and I think you have a really neat website going. I ordered a few boxes of the Fiocchi XTP Extrema based upon your results as that loading seems to offer the best balance of expansion and penetration, in my opinion. While I do not carry any of my hand loads in my concealed pistols, I have always been tempted to supercharge a factory load by pulling the bullets and saving the powder from 50 or so rounds and then working up a custom load by loading up some sample rounds with slightly higher powder charges (like a couple tenths of a grain more) and then doing chronograph and gel tests. Just seeing how much faster the Cobon and European ammo is leads me to the conclusion that most US made JHP ammo is underdeveloped for this caliber. I would be happy to get a Hydra-Shock bullet out of a P32 around 1000 fps. My concern with the little 60-65gr. JHP bullets is the expansion/penetration paradox. Say one is able to roll a hot load using the XTP bullet and drive it to 1100 fps. I would hypothesize it would exhibit more expansion, but would said expansion reduce penetration depth to something closer to the tested Corbon bullet? I suppose that is something to be examined in the near future. I recall having read some of Picatinny Pete's heavy JHP ammo tests in the past and those were very interesting. Unfortunately, none of the ammo companies have read it and we are still stuck with 73 gr. FMJ and 60-65gr. JHP ammo driven at mostly anemic velocities. I am hoping this new Corbon load will fill a performance gap in this caliber - moderate expansion with a penetration depth close to 12". I know it can be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts