New CMR, need a muzzle break and forend handle

Discussion in 'CMR-30' started by Texas Ranger, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Texas Ranger

Texas Ranger Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I have a CMR coming in a few days. I currently have a PMR.
    For the CMR does anyone know where I can get a muzzle brake and what is the ‘norm’ forend handle people on here are using?
    And any other basic advice/input on anything CMR?
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    It doesn't really need a muzzle break. Shoot it and decide for yourself. If it was me, and I wanted an AFG, I would just get the factory one.

3. Texas Ranger

Texas Ranger Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I'm looking for one not because of recoil since there is next to none. Just looks ; )
  4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of the CMR-30. I put a red dot on mine and it's a real hoot to shoot, although it's accurate enough with open sights, particularly for those with younger eyes. I know better, but I keep thinking of 22 WMR as basically 22 LR, and of course it isn't. It's a good midpoint compromise between 22LR and 223. 22 WMR is a hot little round coming out of the 16" barrel. It's fun in the PMR, but there's a big difference in the energy when shot from a longer rifle barrel... and it's very nice that 30 of those rounds fits in a pistol grip magazine.

Light weight. Collapsible stock. Good intermediate cartridge. It's just a great little carbine.

Depending on how you think you'll use it, I'd recommend a small red dot sight or small scope (maybe a fixed power 4X32 or one of the 1-4X24 or 1-6X24 scopes although many of them have .223 bullet drop reticles). Maybe delay the optics purchase until your CMR-30 is in hand and you can check out the sight elevation. A forend grip if you like although I found the factory forend easy to shoot and it'd be even more comfortable with a flexible ladder rail cover. I added a Mapgul VFG and it's very comfortable and easy to shoot.

As 850sub said, it doesn't need a muzzle device to tame recoil or muzzle flip. Follow up shots are fast, but you could add a muzzle device if that appeals to your aesthetic sense.

At this point, I should probably get a roll top waterproof stuff sack with an improvised padded insert cut to fit the CMR-30 and a few spare mags and ammo, although that probably caters more to my imagined philosophy of use. Sadly, the actual POU is underappreciated fun gun that I should shoot a lot more than I do.
    850sub and curtmini14 like this.
  5. Texas Ranger

Texas Ranger Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Thanks for all the input! Got me excited to shoot!
    I will be adding pretty much what you have.
    I have a spare Vortex red dot I’ll add....and either the handle you have or another lower profile rail grip.
    I love my PMR handgun.....can’t wait to get this CMR this week.
    Will go plinking out on some average next weekend.
    Thanks again!