New Chrome P3AT- How much fluff & buff? FTF issue

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by voigts, Oct 11, 2008.

1. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I got my new chrome P3AT and Armalaser in last night in time to take them today to the range at the gun safety class that is required for a carry permit here in TN. I put it together last night, and followed the fluff and buff routine just gently using 500 grit sandpaper. I also lubed everything properly. Today at the range out of 50 shots, I had 3 misfeeds, all of them the 3rd or 4th round out of 6 with Remington 95g FMJ rounds. I've shot M16s at the range for 19 years, but am relatively new to handguns.

The instructor is a police sniper, and he said my hold is fine. I'm not going to rule out some kind of hold issue as this little bugger is kind of hard to hold on to even with the pinky extension added, but I am wondering if the gun just needs more buffing. My question is, how much do you actually sand? Being that the gun is chromed, the last thing I want to do is sand too much off.

Today when I got back, I took a look and using a dremel and some light rubbing compound buffed the spots that showed wear marks. I particularly paid attention to the feed ramp, but how do you know how much sanding/buffing to do without damaging the chrome finish?

I must say that I am very pleased with the accuracy of this little gun. At 50ft, I had no problem keeping the rounds within a few inches of dead center without using the laser. But as others have said, it sure does a number on your wrist/hand.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: New Chrome P3AT- How much fluff & buff? FTF is

I shouldn't "need" more polishing. Make sure it is properly lubed and maybe try a couple of different rounds. Don't be offended, but if you are inexperienced with this type of pistol (small and light with a steep power to weight ratio), you may have limpwristed it a couple of times. Also, any such issues that you may have will generally be during break-in. Polish if you like but clean, lube and shoot some more.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/keltec.htm

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206210540

3. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008

I've read and used the info at the goldenloki site for the fluff & buff and lube, and I've read the thread you linked to about limpwristing. They both have a lot of useful info.I don't take offense as I've never shot a gun so small. My other gun is a Taurus PT140 Millenium Pro, and it shoots nothing like this one as the P3AT has a much snappier recoil.

I'll probably go shooting with it again in week or two and see how it goes. Maybe the gun just needs more breaking in as you suggest.

4. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007

I would try a different ammo and take the advice given in the previous threads about proper grip. I have a HC model as well, and have only polished the feed ramp. The only problems I've had have been user error.

On another note...assuming the qualifier is still the same in TN, how did you do on the 15 yrd shots with your new little pal? Is it still 35 of 48 have to hit the target? I can't remember how many shots from 15 yrds either.

5. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008

You shoot 18 rounds from 10ft, 25ft, and 50ft for a total of 48 (we fired the last 2 rounds of 50 as head shots to empty a full box). You have to get 33 within the blue silhouette, which sure isn't hard to do. One lady in our class has never even fired a gun and she still qualified with a rental. All of my shots were within the 9 and 10 point circles. Specifically on the 50ft shots, I got all of mine within the 9 point circle, mostly all together just underneath center mass. I figured being such a small gun that it might fire just a bit low at 50ft just using the sights. I really am impressed however at its accuracy for its size. Being able to hit about center mass consistently at 50ft with this little gun is pretty good.