Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Paid $289.00 locally for a "J" serial'd P-3AT, when I brought it home I completely disassembled it for a F&B, much to my surprise it needed very little in the way of cleanup, there were a few sharp edges but it appears the hard chroming really provides a smoother finish to the parts than parkerized or matte blue does. I have a Kahr-PM9 that really needed a clean-up, I digress..

I bought some Cor-Bon Power Ball, Cor-Bon DPX and 2 boxes of Remington and 2 of the WWB for break-in. I have yet to have one FTF, FTE with this little gun, it barks like a little pit bull for sure. I fired the 200 rounds of Remington and Winchester with nary a problem. I cleaned it at the range and tried some of the Cor-Bon, by then my trigger finger was a little tender but by alternating hands I was able to pump almost 300 rounds through the little tiger in a couple of hours. A little glove would have helpful for this extended range day with a snapper like this one! The sights while not really fast to acquire work very well and the gun was accurate to point of aim. From 15-21 feet using the dirty bird targets I could put 2 full clips into about an inch and a half, by the end of the session I was shooting smiley faces on the head with no problem, this is one accurate little pocket pistol. So far I am quite pleased with everything about the little gun and now I see what all the fuss is about. I normally carry a J-Frame .38 or Kahr PM-9 in my front pocket or IWB but for summertime and traveling light I think the little Kel-Tec has found a new home! I very much like the little gun and with the right ammo I would not feel under gunned even after carrying .38's and 9MM's.

I am going to make it a habit to practice two rapid controlled shots to COM and one between the eyes with the little .380, then re-assess the situation, you probably will not need any more to the BG than this but I am of the belief that if you do it right the first time there is substantially less chance of something going wrong. If clothing of the day allows I prefer to have my Model 35 Glock with the .357 SIG barrel in my Comp-Tac IWB holster but I am a big guy and can get away with it comfortably under a light jacket or vest, heavy but sometimes my work takes me to or through some questionable neighborhoods, I love the caliber and the versatility of .40/.357 conversion. I would really like to see a Kel-Tec in the .32 NAA caliber, is there any talk of this?

The little gun is fun to shoot, very accurate, mine appears totally reliable with anything I have fed it so far and all but disappears in my front pocket. My wife likes it too! There may be another in the near future for the Ms. as a "Walking the Dog" companion. She currently carries a Walther PPK that Novak worked over some 10 years ago and she can shoot that little thing like nobody's business! I bet she has put 5000 rounds though it over the years. I dont think the little Kel-Tec will have any problems being shot a lot, its quite a piece of engineering, now I see what everyone has been raving about! I carry it in a "Don Hume" pocket holster that the shop had on the shelf when I got the little gun. So far I am happy with the way the gun fits the holster and presentation from the strong side front pocket has been easily accomplished with a little practice, one note on holstering it , I have found that putting my thumb on the back of the slide when inserting it into the holster keeps it from coming slightly out of battery, this is probably a good habit to get into even though the holster has broken in enough now that it does not appear to be a problem anymore. I have enjoyed reading the many interesting posts on the this site, FWIW I am a contributer on Glock Talk and have met many nice people there also that share our passion for plastic handguns.

Here is a pic of my range day and what I was shooting, P-3AT, PM-9, Mod 35, Mod 21, I have big hands so I build up the grip on the Glocks with Tennis Racket tape

Best Regards,

Jerry

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Welcome Jerry. That was quite a workout. FWIW, these are ultralight pocket guns. They won't stand up to the torture test that a Glock can handle. Kel-tec rates the life of the gun a around 6000 rounds, but their lifetime warranty means just that. Their customer service is great. They'll generally send out parts free for a phone call.

Several years back, one of the smiths at Kel-tec did make up a batch of 32NAA barrels for the 1st gen P3AT. A few of us here have them. We haven't been able to get them interested in making more. I think they are just very busy.
Here's my parked P32NAA.

P.S. Welcome to KTOG! 8)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Very nice report!

Best wishes for a long and happy relationship with your P-3AT! ;D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TXCajun,

Thanks for the great photo and the notes on the .32 NAA caliber P3, awesome! The main reason for the 300 round enduro was to give it a good break-in and see if any problems came up, happily everything ran like clockwork, I am confident that I know how and more importantly where it shoots when I aim it.

I just finished giving it a good cleaning and inspection. It will likely get a semi-annual re-qualification shoot with my carry ammo, I like the Gold Dot's and the DPX rounds. Seems like a great bunch of people on here with plenty of knowledge and experience to draw on. I am spending time reading old posts and catching up on the idiosyncrasies of the P3. Thanks for taking time to reply.

http://www.fred08.com/

Anyone who cares about preserving our right to keep and bear arms needs to encourage Fred Thompson for President

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
rjhauser said:
the 32naa is definitely a RARE find.

8)

i consider it the prize of my virtual collection.
I'm kind of proud of mine too. I got it from RJ Hedley who had it freshly parked by Marty (Bloodwalker) before sending it to me. I haven't shot it very much as I hate to mess up the pretty finish. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.