Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New for 2022, Savage Arms introduces their competitor to the Kel Tec PF9, Ruger LC9s, and the Glock 43.

This single-column 9mm pistol has an MSRP of $479 to $561 depending on model and options. Round-count at 7, 8, or 10 depending on flush-fit, extendomag or +1 baseplates.

You need a pic:

Here's their official link on the website:

Just my opinion here, but I think that this is hitting the market 7 years too late. They should have popped this no later than the Glock 43. Now that the market is dominated by double-stack guns in the same size, holding 10+ rounds I think that this gun, no matter how well designed, is going to languish in obscurity. Maybe if they'd been able to ship in 2020, during the COVID buying panic, they would have been able to make back R&D, but this is WAY too late to the market. Maybe they've got a double-stack waiting in the wings to announce at SHOT or something. Otherwise Savage has just screwed the pooch with this. ...which makes me sad.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. A lot of places (with high populations, whatever its worth) limit round count so double stack is extra width for nothing. It may do fine, there will be some brand recognition lift as well. Wonder what that blip in the trigger guard is (some kind of safety, sure, but ?). Not a follower of savage... is that their first pistol? Maybe its just that ... their first crack at it...
I also feel the market is flooded with similar pistols, but that seems to not be having a lot of effect.

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe, maybe not. A lot of places (with high populations, whatever its worth) limit round count so double stack is extra width for nothing. It may do fine, there will be some brand recognition lift as well.
Maybe. For Savage's sake, I hope so.

Wonder what that blip in the trigger guard is (some kind of safety, sure, but ?).
I figured it for an over-travel stop.

Not a follower of savage... is that their first pistol? Maybe its just that ... their first crack at it...
I think it's their first one in decades.

I also feel the market is flooded with similar pistols, but that seems to not be having a lot of effect.
I guess we'll see. I really want to be wrong about this.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: FLT

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think there is a market for 7 or 8 round slim light 9s right now as pocket carries. I wish I had my Taurus 709 slim back, but I gave it to my youngest son. I don't want a Ruger because of the lack of a manual safety. List price seems kind of high, though.

·
Premium Member
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there is a market for 7 or 8 round slim light 9s right now as pocket carries. I wish I had my Taurus 709 slim back, but I gave it to my youngest son. I don't want a Ruger because of the lack of a manual safety. List price seems kind of high, though.
I still have my PF9. It is (without putting calipers on it) almost exactly the same width as my new Mossy MC2Sc.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
if that is a stop, its a nice short pull. I don't think the safety would be optional in that case.
I would not buy it either, safety is too hard to use: its only on one side (anti-lefty).

·
Registered
905 Posts
I would not buy it regardless of price since I won't carry anything with an external safety.
On their web page, the external safety is an option. I just don't want to pocket carry without a safety. I like my 'nads (or at least used too).

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I would not buy it regardless of price since I won't carry anything with an external safety.
As tiny as that little nub of a safety lever is, you could easily treat it the same as countless others have done with the S&W M&P Shield with a manual safety: turn it off and fugeddaboutit. On the Shield, that thing absolutely WILL NOT get accidentally actuated into a Safe position because, even with deliberate effort, it's kinda tough to click on or off due to its tiny size and stiffness. If this Savage pistol is similar, then it could also just as easily be disregarded. They also might do as Ruger and S&W have done by offering versions with or without manual safeties.

As Kirk stated above, this thing is nearly a decade late to the game and isn't really bringing anything significant to the table. Heck, even the MSRP is pretty steep for what little it is. Single stack, no optic mounting cutout, no barrel porting, factory tritium sights aren't standard (merely optional), no accessory rail, no barrel porting or compensator ... just ... I don't get it. Why so pricey? What does this little thing have going for it? There's multiple options by other companies that offer more features for less money.

It's pretty much likely to just be another "me too!" entry in the subcompact single-stack 9mm category. Doesn't look bad, but also doesn't have a lot going for it. Yawn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As tiny as that little nub of a safety lever is, you could easily treat it the same as countless others have done with the S&W M&P Shield with a manual safety: turn it off and fugeddaboutit. On the Shield, that thing absolutely WILL NOT get accidentally actuated into a Safe position because, even with deliberate effort, it's kinda tough to click on or off due to its tiny size and stiffness. If this Savage pistol is similar, then it could also just as easily be disregarded. They also might do as Ruger and S&W have done by offering versions with or without manual safeties.

As Kirk stated above, this thing is nearly a decade late to the game and isn't really bringing anything significant to the table. Heck, even the MSRP is pretty steep for what little it is. Single stack, no optic mounting cutout, no barrel porting, factory tritium sights aren't standard (merely optional), no accessory rail, no barrel porting or compensator ... just ... I don't get it. Why so pricey? What does this little thing have going for it? There's multiple options by other companies that offer more features for less money.

It's pretty much likely to just be another "me too!" entry in the subcompact single-stack 9mm category. Doesn't look bad, but also doesn't have a lot going for it. Yawn.
I disagree. It's ugly.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Trends swing. Twenty years ago double stack CC guns were all the rage because they were new. Then the single stacks stole the crown. Now we're going back to thhe doubles again for more firepower. These guys employ some marketing geniuses lol

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Double-stacks were popular for a long time because the only alternative were big single-stacks like the 1911 until the Browning Hi-Power and CZ75 came along, and even then they were big ol' heavy boat anchors. If you wanted a little gun back then, it would pretty much only be a single-stack .380 or .32 ACP thing, otherwise you were looking at revolvers (usually six rounds at most). When Glock popularized polymer-framed handguns and came out with smaller ones like the G19 and G26, which brought double-stack capacity in a smaller but still very thick package. Then polymer-framed single-stacks got to be a big thing because they were MUCH thinner and lighter by comparison, so that's what folks went to for a long time because that was the best available. Then Kel-Tec came out with the P11, which brought double-stack capacity with a short single-stack size, and for a LONG time that was as good as you could get. Manufacturers took their time with bringing bigger-gun features - like adjustable sights (or just better sights, in general), slide locks, good triggers, less unpleasant recoil, more durability, etc. - to the smaller subcompact/micro-compact segment because it took awhile for the technology to get there. Eventually, we wound up with guns that were the size of the P11, which had good capacity in a tiny package, but offered a lot more features that are appealing to shooters (reliability, durability, and shootability being among the biggest), and from multiple companies.

THAT is why people are starting to flock to micro-compact double-stacks. It's not because folks are waffling back and forth on the issue; it's because, up until the past couple of years, double-stack micro-compacts essentially DIDN'T EXIST (again, except for the now-discontinued P11). Eventually, someone will figure out a better way to set up a handgun so that it's small, light, reliable, comfortable and accurate to shoot, and for tens of thousands of rounds, but in some novel new way that I imagine would have to be drastically different in its design. Either some new cartridge will have to come out that surpasses 9mm and similar calibers in terms of ballistics and whatnot, and/or someone will have to come up with a better magazine and/or semi-automatic design than the typical single- or double-stack box magazine with John Moses Browning's short recoil system that we've been stuck on for almost a century. Something weird like a helical magazine, like the Calico guns of the 80's, or something even weirder, probably.

Until then ... these are the guns we've got available. Take your pick and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
if that is a stop, its a nice short pull. I don't think the safety would be optional in that case.
I would not buy it either, safety is too hard to use: its only on one side (anti-lefty).
The nub inside the trigger guard is an overtravel stop. You can get it with or without a manual safety, and it's fully ambi-friendly for us lefties.
Tire Wheel Helmet Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Up close, that texture looks a bit overkill, a-la Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 texture (aka 60 grit sandpaper). Not very comfy against the skin.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Up close, that texture looks a bit overkill, a-la Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 texture (aka 60 grit sandpaper). Not very comfy against the skin.
I know what you mean, and it's very uncomfortable to carry. My 9mm 2.0 now wears Talon Grip stickon grips and they are very nice. Not slick, but won't leave you feeling like you're wearing sandpaper against your skin either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Just my opinion here, but I think that this is hitting the market 7 years too late. They should have popped this no later than the Glock 43. Now that the market is dominated by double-stack guns in the same size, holding 10+ rounds..."

Seconded. Nice looking pistol, but it's like entering your '57 Chevy in the Daytona 500. Too little, too late.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Not a follower of savage... is that their first pistol? Maybe its just that ... their first crack at it..."
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

They made a line of pistols in the early 1900s that sort of superficially resembled the old Spanish Astras. Most were .32 acp, although they even made some in .45 acp for the 1911 trials that settled on the 1911 Colt for the military.

They were pretty good little pistols. My great grandfather owed and carried one in .32. he used it once to drop a wild cow that was charging him. He was a Florida cowboy in the early 1900s, and part of the duties was rounding up cattle from the Florida scrub. Those cows could be as mean as buffalo. Personally, I would have picked something larger, but his worked.

·
Registered
603 Posts
As a Savage fan I am interested. I like the single stack, no trigger dongle, low profile safety. If it is the same size as a PF9 I would considered it. If it's the same size as my gen 1 Shield it would have to be pretty special to make me switch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone who wants a tiny single stack 9mm should consider the Diamondback DB9. It's very thin, looks a lot like a glock, disassembles like one, and, from my experience, is a cracker jack to shoot. If you can do it, it will put them where you want. I will admit that some people have experienced trouble with feeding, but I haven't, and I've read others saying you must grip the gun tightly, no limp-wristing, which is true of most semis. No manual safety, either.

Oh, they're pretty inexpensive, too.

As for pocket-carrying without a safety, I've carried a pocket model Kahr .45 with one in the spout fot the better part of 20 years, since right after they were available. No leg holes from it, yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"Just my opinion here, but I think that this is hitting the market 7 years too late. They should have popped this no later than the Glock 43. Now that the market is dominated by double-stack guns in the same size, holding 10+ rounds..."

Seconded. Nice looking pistol, but it's like entering your '57 Chevy in the Daytona 500. Too little, too late.
I disagree, it's at least 14 years too late. In 2003 it would be cutting edge, now it's stupid and under-featured. No cut for a red dot? U-notch sites? This thing is an antiquated turkey in the current age of double stack micros with slide cuts.

When the first thing mentioned under features is 3 colors, then that should tell you to move on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts