Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, technically it’s not new, but it’s definitely improved.

I was having my cerakote/polish/plating/engraving guy do some polishing and Titanium Nitride coating of several parts for various guns and builds of mine and I wanted to improve on the RDB’s BCG. Specifically, I hate cleaning it. I’m left-handed, so I use Cryptic Coatings BCGs in all of my LH ARs because they offer the best premium LH BCG by a long shot. After being spoiled by cleaning my BCGs with only paper towels and qtips, I lamented on how nice it would be to have my rough and ugly RDB BCG be like the Cryptic ones. So I had the dude polish it up. He didn’t want to mess around with the lugs and bolt face too much and make it like he did everything else because he didn’t want to risk weakening it, which I agreed with. That’s why they look a little darker. The rest of it looks and feels like a cylinder used in hydraulic actuators or motorcycle suspensions, massive improvement. I just picked it up an hour ago so I haven’t shot it dirty and cleaned it yet, but I’m thinking it should be so much less time-consuming to clean. I’m also anticipating it cycling much smoother and with less resistance, although that is just theoretical at this point.

Anyway, I just wanted to share something that may be new and different with everyone. Although I will say that I’m not on here very much, so for all I know several people have done this and found it makes no difference or makes it worse, I dunno. If anyone is interested, I can follow back up once I have some time with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,053 Posts
It may not shoot better, but it sure is purdy. You'll probably need to close the gas port a couple of clicks. :)

Thanks for sharing. Please do report back once you've shot it and cleaned it. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be interested.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It may not shoot better, but it sure is purdy.
Then it’s just like me! I mean, minus the fact that I’m not aesthetically pleasing, but that’s like just small details and stuff 😂

I’ll make sure I revisit the subject once I’ve had enough time to get it dirty and clean again, thanks for the kind words.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
I like the idea but I would want my action spring tube blued or unpolished so it doesn't stand out

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the idea but I would want my action spring tube blued or unpolished so it doesn't stand out
If you’re potentially going to be using your RDB as a combat weapon, you’re not wrong for saying that. It’s shiny like a hydraulic cylinder piston or the piston from a motorcycle fork/shock absorber. The pic I’m posting here isn’t representative of how shiny it actually is, but it will give an idea of how much shows. If you were outside in bright sunlight and you were unfortunate enough to have the sun in the perfect position in the sky and your weapon at the perfect orientation and angle, it could potentially give a reflection that would give away your location if you were hiding.

Fortunately I won’t ever be using this gun in that type of situation. If by some highly improbable series of very unfortunate events I were to have to use it for combat, it would only be selected for vehicle-based combat and indoor CQB, where hiding and camouflaging weren’t really at play.

If it ever did get that bad and go that way, I’d just rattle can that shiny part of the BCG while I was rattle-canning the entire gun, because a black gun sticks out like a sore pecker on a blind man anyway.

(For the record, I don’t really understand that saying but it’s a nod to my old man who always used to say it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts