Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my first range trip with my brand new g17 Sub2K (took a yr of looking but finally got one). 100 trouble free rounds of Speer Lawman 115 gr FMJ later and I'm a happy camper. The carbine was very accurate. My first group at 10 yds had 9 out of the 10 through the same hole. I'm new to rifle shooting, so I was quite impressed with that considering my newbness.

I've had a horrible PF9 experience in the past year and almost swore off KT products because of it, but I've always wanted one of these, just made too much sense with it taking glock mags. I was a little nervous about using 115gr ammo to break it in, but it shot flawelessly.

The only issue I has was with the stock extension, it fell off on my last mag. The rentention spring came loose. I tightened it up with an allen wrench after getting home, so hopefully that will work. Overall very impressed with it.

Now I just need to decide if I want to mod it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be gettting the rail that KT sales to add a light/laser to the bottom part of the fore-end. I may buy the quad rail if it ever comes back into stock, and I know I want to add a fore-grip. Might add a red-dot at some point, but for now I'm digging the stock version.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A belated congrats on your new purchase. Glad you had a positive experience. What I've noticed about these is you can leave it as-factory-issued, or use subtle mods, or go all out and it will still be a great carbine regardless of how far you did or did not go. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats Arrt I personally would suggest 147gr during break in but if it does ok with the 115gr by all means have at it. The only mods I have done to my .40 Glock model are the Tacticool products I highly reccommend them. The Sub2K is a fun shooter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats Arrt I personally would suggest 147gr during break in but if it does ok with the 115gr by all means have at it. The only mods I have done to my .40 Glock model are the Tacticool products I highly reccommend them. The Sub2K is a fun shooter.
one reason i didn't actively search for 124gr or higher was the fact that Speer markets their lawman line as a load that's pretty close to actual duty quality ammo, so I figured it should be ok. That and the fact I bought a case of the 115gr stuff a few months ago, so I've got a decent supply.

I do, however, plan on testing out some 147gr hps eventually. I carry 147gr winchester rangers in my kahr cm9 now and really like the round. I'd imagine the 16" barrel velocity boost paired with the 147gr jhp would be nassty...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Replace the nut on your extension with one of those nylon locking nuts. It worked great for me. Get them at ACE for $0.20.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
one reason i didn't actively search for 124gr or higher was the fact that Speer markets their lawman line as a load that's pretty close to actual duty quality ammo, so I figured it should be ok. That and the fact I bought a case of the 115gr stuff a few months ago, so I've got a decent supply.

I do, however, plan on testing out some 147gr hps eventually. I carry 147gr winchester rangers in my kahr cm9 now and really like the round. I'd imagine the 16" barrel velocity boost paired with the 147gr jhp would be nassty...
If it shoots the 115gr with no problems I wouldn't worry about it. We ONLY raise that issue as something to bear in mind IF you have problems during break in with 115gr bullets.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yep...if you're having no problems, no worries!
Ive got a big stash of the 115gr lawman too....good ammo, seems hotter than average.

Regarding your stock extension...yep, that's a common problem. If you add a spring/lock washer, the problem will be solved...they really ought to include one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts