new 3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jcp, Aug 7, 2008.

1. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Hi everyone.

My new 3AT has an extraction issue. I found the extractor spring to be hung up on the slide in the front where it should have been working with the ejector. Found some other issues when I dissasembled it to file the profile of the spring so it could work in it's slot. I was bummed out to have to send it in for work, since I was excited to finally have it.
    I hope the customer service proves to be as good as they sound like they are around here. If this first purchase works out as well as I hope it does, I may have to start a collection. Actually I'm almost tempted to start my collection now, and get another one to play with while my first one is getting fixed. Guess I better wait, and see how the first one works out first though.

2. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I am checking on P3AT's for I want one. If you don't mind me asking, what are they going for in your area. Here in eastern NC, they seem to be really high. But I am not sure for I don't know what others are paying for. I found one today, used (about 100 rounds through it) for $225. But I am not keen on buying a used firearm from a dealer who has taken it in on consignment and I don't know anything about either.

Bo Bryant

3. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    CDNN Sports sells them for $219. They will put you on the list and call when available. They say they get them about every two or three weeks.

$249 in north east Goergia.

Billy

4. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Thanks Billy

I found one in Raleigh for $259. However they are out. They will notify me when they come in. I will pay that for a NIB. Hope you enjoy yours.

Bo Bryant

5. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Mine is great! I have about 250 rounds through it with zero problems. It has never failed and it goes with me almost without exception. I paid $260 for mine which is gray/parkerized. The local shop had blued in stock for $250 a few days ago.

Billy

6. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    If you haven't already sent the gun back go to your local hardware store and pick up a set of mini files in a small pouch. They usaully run around $14. GENTLY file away the excess metal that is causing the spring to catch (I'm assuming you meant it caught on the slide). File away some of the metal and reassemble and repeat as needed.
    Those mini files are great for removing any flashing that is still on the grip from where it was put together and can also file down the mag release button if you plan on carrying IWB. This makes the gun more comfortable and reduces the chance of it getting depressed inside the holster.

What kind of issues? BTW, welcome to ktog!

7. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    The other issues I found were all related to each other. I decide to remove the spring, and file the proile exactly like you suggested. The back of the spring did not fit the pocket properly either. The threads on the BHCS were flat, and shiny where it was forced through the clearence hole even though it did not line up with the threaded hole. I went ahead and filed the profile of the spring, so it would seat properly in the pocket, and so the holes would line up.
    The threads on the BHCS got progrssively worse towards the top, probably because at the original assembly the screw got more bound as it tried to draw the spring into position. Anyway I ran the screw in first without the spring in (or the firing pin), and found that it stopped slightly higher than the thickness of the spring, so even though I had already filed the spring to work, I knew it wasn't going to do any good without a new screw. Also the edge of the BHCS hit the edge of the spring pocket enough that there was actually a ding in the slide.
    The fact that the spring didn't fit the pocket, and that the head of the BHCS dinged the edge of the pocket leads me to believe the pocket in the slide may be out of tolerance, and may be the root cause of the other problems.
    I really beleive that it should have been caught at assembly. I guess it's possible, even though it's a small screw, maybe they are just slamming them together with power tools, and didn't notice.
    I probably could have gotten a new screw, and with the massaged spring it probably would have worked. I just wouldn't have felt right accepting a NIB product with that many issues compounded together, so I did have to send it in for warranty work. I'm pretty sure a new slide, spring, and screw are what would be required to bring it up to par. At least that's what I'm expecting to see to make me a 100% satisfied customer.
    I did strip the rest of the gun at the same time to clean, lube, and inspect it. Other than the spring issue the rest of the fit and finish was nice, and was pretty clean and lubed for "factory". I'm really anxious to get it back, I think it's a really cool gun, and it will "fill the bill" nicely.
    I'm ready to be a big Kel Tec fan (SU16, PF9.....), but out of principle I can't purchase another one until they take care of me on the first one. I'm plenty optimistic (anxious, but optimistic) they are going to take care of me, and I'll be able to get the collection going.

BTW- Thanks for the welcome, this is a great forum, and I'm happy to be here.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Just curious... Did you ever shoot it? They DO test fire them off the line, ya know. W/o pics, I'm not real sure what you were even talking about. :-/

9. enigma4you

enigma4you New Member

Bo PM sent

10. jcp

jcp New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Just curious...  Did you ever shoot it?  They DO test fire them off the line, ya know.  W/o pics, I'm not real sure what you were even talking about.  :-/
    [/quote]

Yes, I shot it, 36 times. 24 before I broke it down, 12 after. Out of those 36 I had to drop the mag, and clear the spent case 32 times.
    I gave a pretty detailed description of exactly what I found after the post you quoted. I'm sure with the detail I provided, and your familiarity with the firearm, you can "picture" what I described. ;)
    I'm just passing along my out of the box experience. I expect it will come back fixed, and working great. I'll happily report that when it does.