New 3At test fired today.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rasj, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rasj

rasj New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Hi,
    I purchased a new 3AT a few weeks ago. Serial # JKDxx, $259.00 at the local gun shop. I decided to put a few down the pipe today to see how she handled. Before firing, I disassembled it, gave it a good cleaning, polished the feed ramp, greased the rails and lubed everything else. I also took the time to smooth out all of the sharp edges and "mould marks" on the ploy lower and magazine base plate. So today I set up a couple of water bottles at about 20-25ft and I must say that I was very impressed with the accuracy of this little semi-auto. I had no problem hitting the water bottles at that range. I missed the first shot, but after that The only time I missed (4 times total) is when I "jerked" in anticipation of the recoil. Not that the recoil was bad, but it "bit" my finger a few times and my hands were starting to hurt a little from the checkered grips. I only shot 28 rounds through it, but experienced no failures of any kind. I did have a hard time finding the brass afterwards though! ;D

I was very impressed with the performance today, but I admit that I will have to sacrifice a couple hundred more rounds before I can make my mind up on if this will be a carry weapon or not. The grip pads and cover are on order, along with the "pinky" extension. Hopefully the addition of those will make for a much more user friendly firearm.

Although 28 rounds probably isn't enough to report on, I thought I would share my initial enthusiasm for the little big gun with everyone Hopefully things will continue to go well because I would love to carry this thing both as a backup in the winter, and as the primary during the summer.

:cool:

2. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    I don't think you'll be disappointed in the performance. I agree continue breaking it in and you'll be happy.

Unless you insist on finding all of your brass, who knows where some of it ends up. ;D

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG and congrates on your P3AT

4. rasj

rasj New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    It's been a while since I first bought my 3AT, so I thought it was time for an update. Since my last post, I have installed the Hogue grip sleeve and the foam strips from AGLaser. What a difference! I've put 500+ rounds through it so far, and I have yet to experience any failures. Most people post that the have a hard time getting the first round to chamber, but I believe that is due to how they try to chamber the round. If you pull the slide back and let it go in one motion, it will chamber perfectly. If you pull the slide back and hold it, and gently let it go, the round might hang up for a second, but that is just improper chambering anyway, IMO. Rack it like you mean it!

I have also not had any problems with the grip sleeve slipping, which I admit I was worried about. As for ammo, I have used Winchester white box FMJ, Remington JHP, and Monarch JHP (the Academy sports stuff) and the gun ate them all with no problems. I am happy to report that my little 3AT just keeps getting better and better with every round. I am confident in it's ability to go bang if needed, I would (and do) bet my life on it. In fact, it began as a BUG, but is actually my primary (and only) carry piece in many situations. You forget it's even there most times!

On a side note, my girlfriend loves to stand behind me with a bag and catch the casings while I shoot. ;D

5. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    It just keeps getting better as time goes on. The grip sleeve and strips really do make the difference, another thing you might want to try, to help expedite your target acquisition, is to get some Testors model paint (I use orange for the front and green for the back) and while using a round toothpick paint the back of the front sight blade and the back of the rear sight aperture, for me it helps me quickly get sight alignment on my target when I use the sights. :)

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Sprinters recoil absorbing strips and slip-on grip make a huge difference while adding very little thickness or weight to the pistol. IMO, they are an excellent choice. :cool:

http://www.aglaser.com/grips/

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Brass? What brass? The P3AT extracts and ejects the brass? Mine makes the brass magically disappear never to be found again.  ;D

[Seriously though, I manage, over time, to recover most all my brass. My bow shooting lane crosses my firearms shooting lane so back and forth pulling arrows I’m looking for my .380 brass.]

IMHO the addition of grip pads and sleeve and mag. finger extension (I use a Bersa) actually makes a shooting session with the  P3AT fun and enjoyable.

Take care …  

8. rasj

rasj New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Another 250 rounds through it since my last post, and have yet to experience any failures and I have been shooting the cheapest, dirtiest ammo that I can find. Not one single hiccup and I'm over 750 rounds down the pipe. [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

I was thinking about getting an extra mag, but instead, I am going to just buy another 3AT (or LCP... we'll see) and just carry them both. [smiley=thumbup.gif]