New 3AT owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by anon45, Jul 4, 2010.

1. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    picked up a new 3At today. I wasn't really planning to, but the price was too good to passup. I ended up with the green color which looks more brown than green to me. I really wanted grey but Black and Green seem to be the only things available.

I ended up paying 257 with tax and background check and everything including the 3% surcharge for not using cash. Original price started at 229 if I paid cash before tax and everything else. thought that was a good deal.

One question, when I first got the gun out of the box, the trigger just pulls real easily, now its normal pressure, is there anyway to go back to the trigger pulling easily? I know it won't normally be like that, but just wondering if its possible or why it was like that to begin with.

now I just gotta get some snapcaps so I can play with the thing a little bit, unfortunately they didn't seem to be in good supply where I was.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

If the trigger was easy to pull, It had been dried fired. while occasional dry firing is "OK", it is NOT recomended.

(a Snap cap is recomended)

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I see no way there could have been any real change in the trigger pull out of the box vs when you got it home.  KT lists the trigger pull at 5 pounds.  It should improve a little (smoother) with rounds fired.  The other way to improve it is to polish and lubricate the trigger bar, but that won't really lighten the pull very much, just mostly smooth it up.  The trigger weight is largely a factor of the hammer spring and going to a lighter spring would result in light strikes.  

The DOA trigger is the only safety on the gun.  You wouldn't want it too light.  5 pounds is pretty good.  The PF9 trigger is about 6 pounds while the P11 is 10.  The NAA Guardian pistols also have a 10 pound trigger and yes, there are DA pistols and revolvers with even heavier trigger pulls.  Enjoy your new pocket rocket.  :cool:

4. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    it definately wasn't dry fired, the box was sealed, this was right out of the box. once we pulled back on the slide, then the trigger went to normal. I guess thats just how the trigger is right out of the box?

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    :-/

once you get a snap cap, see if that wasn't the way the trigger responded "out of the box"

6. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Congrats! I just love love love my 3AT. :-*

Hey, take it out and just shoot it. Prolly hard to tell anything without some shots going off.

And yes, get some snap caps if you want to dry fire it.

And dang, man, post some picks or you will be banned from this site forever! ;)

7. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    yea snap caps are next, i couldn't find any at the show, so i'll have to wait for next show, its kinda tough when your wife won't let you have a gun. I have to hide it so far and figure out a way to tell her.

8. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    You are gonna be sooooo busted. :p

9. darts

darts New Member

May 2, 2010
    You are gonna be sooooo busted.  :p[/quote]
    I wish you the best of luck, my man!

Told the gf about mine, and she almost killed me! But anyway, enjoy your new P3AT!

10. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Just kidding about this.

11. rgrmax

rgrmax New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    West Texas
    Tell her you won it in after you entered a contest in a gun magazine. It's the first gun thats the hardest to get into an non-gun loving home. My wife does not like guns at all. The only good thing about this is that she does not pay too much attention to guns I bring home. She thinks the xd sc I purchased a while back is also my xd tactical and my new pf9 (it has an od green grip, and my xd's are both all black!) The only new handgun she thinks I purchased recently is my sp101; because it's stainless and the "shiny one." I am going to be in trouble when I finally convince her to go to the range and get her into shooting. "I don't know where all these guns came from!"
    Good Luck!
    rgrmax

12. olddoc

olddoc New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    I've had pretty good luck with wives, at least as far as guns go. My first wife's father was a target shooter, so she grew up around guns. My second wife has no history of exposure to them but tolerates my passion for them, which includes all the gun mags lying around the house. I have many firearms after more than 40 years of buying them. None of them are off brand or cheap guns. Having said that, I love my P3AT. It is the only gun I don't worry about getting scratched up. It is my glove box gun and my pocket gun when I carry. It has never failed to go BANG , when I want it to. Totally reliable and not expected to win any beauty contests. All it has to do is save my bacon, if, God forbid, it is ever called upon. Because it is so cute and toy-like and because I keep a round in the chamber, I have placed plastic tape labels on either side of the slide that announce "LOADED" to help prevent someone from mistaking it for a toy. Last week I was at the range going through a box of shells in a Browning Hi-Power. Before leaving, I decided to get the KelTec from the console in my car and empty the magazine at an empty paint thinner can I had in the car and tossed on the ground. I had taken my ear protection off and didn't think about replacing them. I was impressed with 1. How easy it was to hit the can. 2. The size of the holes in the can and 3. The amount of noise generated by the .380 round. A larger round would be even scarier to both me and the bad guy. I'm about to order a CT laser sight for it. All in all, my hats off to the folks at KelTec for an excellent product

13. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    My wife has never cared for gums eigther. I did have a legitiment reason though, my shop was the only one in a 3 shop strip mall and the other two stores ended up being empty for about 10 months befor someone else moved in. I knew ahead of time that this was going to happen, and had my carry permit way ahead of time. She didn"t know for over a year that I had the weapon and I even to it to Florida for 10 days and she did not know nor did any of the people we visited. Great carry gun. Good Luck, Tom :)

14. So just how many guns did you get for you last wife???   :D

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Heck, for my 3rd wife, I got a stainless Ruger Mini 14 from her dad just for taking her off his hands.  However, 5 years was all I could take.  I cut her loose and returned the rifle.  It wasn't that great a gun.  ;D

16. mcinil

mcinil New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    To explain to her you could do like I did. I bought her one for valentines day and just hapen to buy myself one the next day. :)

MC.

17. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    my wife is a 50+ y.o. heat packin holy roller preacher.we do get strange looks at the range but who cares.she borrowed my p3at and i have not seen it since.she believes that ALL women should own ,practice and carry a gun.i love this gal.

18. nashvillemike

nashvillemike New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    MrBunky,

You, sir, are blessed indeed. My wife is not an anti, she likes to shoot and is good at it. It's just not a priority with her. She doesn't carry, mostly because her work will not allow it, but we keep two loaded guns in the bedroom not counting whatever I've carried that day. I pray for you folks with "anti" spouses, it's got to be difficult.

19. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

If you do a complete fluff and buff on the P3AT that includes the internals, and install a Hammer spring pin with a "U" bend in it the trigger pull smooths and reduces somewhat. I've set up some friends pistols and was told not to reduce the trigger pull out of safety concerns. You can only reduce the trigger pull so much though before reliablity is affected though (primer ignition, and slide speed)

Best Regards:

20. anon45

anon45 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    took the gun to the range today. First time experience. Did 50 rounds. Well 49 as one rolled down the lane and I wasn't going after it. Gun shot fine although I had a hard time hitting the target. At 25 feet, I think I hit it twice in 18 rounds. Then I moved it to around 10 feet and that wasn't too bad. Definately not the most accurate gun and as other people have said, not a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

Had one failed feed and not other problems. Course that one failed feed would probably happen again when I need it to save my life so I'm hoping that will not be the norm.