new .380 owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TCox, Dec 16, 2008.

1. TCox

TCox New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Wanted to say hello to all members, looks like you all have a good group here. I purchased a new P3AT this morning (after hunting for one for a couple months) and can't wait to shoot it. From reading on your forum already, looks like some great info. on the Kel Tecs.

2. CH

CH New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Welcome. Hope you enjoy that P3AT. I'm new to this also but I can tell you that if you have any questions they can be answered here.

3. CH

CH New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    If you haven't read- first page KTOG under important topics - FAQs & VIPs (Very Important Posts). This really offers some good tips.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

clean, LUBE, shoot ;)

5. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    TC, Welcome to KTOG

Have fun with the p3at, and give us your thoughts after you make it to the range.

CK

6. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Welcome, and remember to grip it tight!

Uh, that sounds wrong, haha.

7. TCox

TCox New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome. I will be sure to post a review once I get to the range with it (unfortunately for me that will not be until after Christmas, just too busy right now). Looking forward to shooting it though.

I already put the rubber grip over the factory grips. Those seem like they would really be uncomfortable after a few mags. Used to my Walther grips I guess.

How do you all feel about the mag extensions, just the finger extensions, not the +1? Any pros or cons? I might add one and see how I like it. Those that have them, does it help you grip the pistol?

Really like the feel of this little gun, look forward to carrying it on a daily basis once I have it broken in. Just excited to finally get one, it was hard for me to find a shop that actually had one. And when I did find one, they would have the prices greatly inflated. But finally found a good deal, so I am thrilled.

8. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    TCOX,
    Welcome to KTOG. We look forward to your range report.

As far as the extended grip, I favor the +1 grip extension. (see pic below) With the small grip, it adds enough to be comfortable, as well as giving you an additional round. Shot it with standard grip. I prefer the extension.

[​IMG]

Enjoy your new little friend.

tr

9. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Ditto on that last reply, I have finger extensions, and +1, and much prefer the +1, advantage 1 more rd. and makes more room for the Crimson Trace Laser button. Jim <><

10. JB

JB Guest

I don't have any mags with the +1 extension but I have finger grip extensions on both of my mags and will be putting them on any subsequent mags that I purchase.  For me, without an extension, I can barely even get a small part of my ring finger on the grip, meaning I am pretty much holding the grip with only my middle finger.  The finger extension lets me grip with both the middle and ring finger of my strong (right) hand and the ones I have make it comfortable to place my right pinky (which still won't fit on the grip, at all) under the extension.  In my case, this greatly stabilizes my grip and noticebly improves stability and accuracy.  In fact, I am now planning to get finger extensions for my P11 because I now shoot the P3AT better than the P11.  My extension did not come from Kel Tec and I don't believe they are a Kel Tec product (no Kel Tec logo, etc.) - I bought them at a local GS and honestly am not sure of the brand (the label just said that they were mag extensions for the Kel Tec .32 and .380 and Bersa .380.)

11. TCox

TCox New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I ordered a couple more mags and three +0 extensions from able ammo. I want to eventually carry this gun when I feel comfortable with its reliability, and when I cannot carry my G26. I may eventually try the +1. Can't wait to get to the range with this little gun.

12. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome to KTOG. I'm sure you will like the P3 after getting to the range. As JFB said remember clean, LUBE, and shoot..Lube is extremely important to these little guns...

John

13. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Welcome aboard!

What they said.... Clean, lube, shoot, repeat!

Let us know how it goes!

14. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Hey TCox,
    Welcome. It stinks waiting to use a new toy doesn't it? There is a post 'round here somewhere that shows how to girp this little pup. If you put your ring and middle finger slanting up the grip it improved my shooting. Feels weird, but works well. This is a funny gun, you mentioned running lots o' rounds thru it and how it might impact comfort. This, in most peoples minds, is not the best range gun. It is my least favorite gun to shoot. I Live in Georgia and it is just plum to hot to carry concealed in the summer. I figured I'd carry the p3 in the summer, sig in the cooler months. When it got cooler and the sleeves got longer I was glad to get my 9mm back on the hip, but I did not put away the p3. I asked my self "what is the advantage of this being in the safe?" None. In cooler weather it backs up my 9mm, In the living room it supplies me with cover to get me to the safe, In my dad's home it keeps me armed with out freaking the old guy out (I'm from a non-gun generation/family). Alot of people here shoot this gun enough to know the gun, keep proficient, keep confident with it. There are things I would change for comfort over the long haul that I don't to keep the printing in the pocket to the mimimal. You have some days before the range, have you bought or made a holster yet? figured front or back pocket carry? Done a fluff and buff? You picked a good gun and a great bunch o' guys to hang with. Enjoy and be safe.
    Lop

15. JB

JB Guest

My maternal grandfather and step-grandmother live on Lookout Mountain (nope, not the wealthy side) in Cloudland (Walker County), Georgia.  My late paternal grandparents lived about a mile from them (in fact, I was born in LaFayette - we didn't move to TN until I was 3.)  Anyhow, I'll be down that way this weekend for my grandfather's birthday party and, since GA recognizes TNs permits, I'll be carrying.  There is no requirement for absolute concealment in GA, is there?  Unless I am mistaken, deer season is open there, right now, so I might stop by Wal-Mart on the way, pick up a one-day license and do a little hunting on Saturday morning (if I am reading the GA regs right, it is legal to take either sex for the entire season in Walker County, but I'll have to double-check that.)  I will probably carry the Rossi .357 to act as a backup when hunting, too.  Anyhow, don't know what part of GA you live in, but if you see a heavy-set guy with reddish hair with a .357 snubbie on his right hip and a P3AT plus pocket holster sized lump in his left pocket, stop and say, 'Howdy."

16. TCox

TCox New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Thanks again for the welcome.

Lop - you are right, it is tough to wait. you said you lived in Georgia, I am in southern Louisiana. Not from here, I am a transplant. I know what you mean about the hot months (what is that like 10 or 11 months out of the year ;D) To be able to really conceal the G26 it is best to have more than a t-shirt on. So this little .380 kel tec seems like a good alternative to "better something, than nothing".

I don't know about running a ton of rounds through it, but enough to get it broke in a little. It sure is no range gun, I have not even shot it and can tell that is probably a handful, and will take some getting used to. I have not done the fluff and buff yet, I want to see how she goes without doing that first.

I will front pocket carry, I don't like the idea of carrying in back pocket. I don't want to have to sit on it. And I think front pocket allows much easier access. But I will see as I am able to fire it and practice. TC