Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Norma has some interesting new 22LR ammo to try. It is similar to the 100% copper bullets CCI "makes" - I have never seen them on shelves anywhere or online. They advertise 24gr 1700 FPS but I am assuming that is out of a 16" barrel. Looks like it also has a flat profile which I have seen people comment works well on theirs. Mine did not really like the federal punch ammo, but my magazines are getting old and dirty from some really cheap blazer brass I bought that was covered in gritty residue. Might order some to give them a try.

·
Registered
962 Posts
From their text: "It has been developed for single shot, bolt action and semi-auto rifles. " . They didn't state barrel length that I saw. But the shortest common barrel for a rifle due to federal rules is 16" (SBRs excluded). So I would assume you're correct.

Please let us know how they work for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
$15 For 50! I heard ammo prices are expensive in the US but wow! I pay $41 CAD ($33 US) for 500 Thunderbolt and had a 99% success rate with them. I thought 40gr was recommended for the CP33? I tried 36gr CCi Mini Mags but couldn't get them to feed reliably.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Sounds similar in performance to Aguila's SuperMaximum's (these have been around for a long time)

Norma: 24gr, 1706fps, 155ft-lbs, copper coated zinc, $14.99/50
Aguila: 30gr, 1700fps, 193ft-lbs, copper coated lead, $9.99/50

The pros of each: The Aguila has more punch and is cheaper, the Norma is lead-free (maybe a pro in some places/situations, but a "don't care" for me)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
$15/50 is because it is exotic. Normal .22 is $5/50 or so currently. You can't compare this stuff to thunderbolts.

also most mags can be taken apart and cleaned easily.

copper bullets are not the way to go; copper is too valuable for that. Bismuth perhaps, melts lower than lead and weighs very close to the same, fairly cheap per pound.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
My current paid price for .22LR is around $9/50 (actually bought by the brick for $90/500). Used to be $60/500 two years ago, but those days are gone now. This price is for SK Standard Plus, my GoTo target ammo. You can find much more expensive target ammo, but I find it only marginally better (or no better at all) at 100 yards, my normal .22LR shooting distance. At 200 yards some of the more expensive ammo starts to shine a little brighter.

But I'm comparing apples and oranges here. 24gr/1700fps .22LR ammo is not target ammo. I'm not sure what it would be used for. Longer range .22LR small varmint control possibly? Would it be better than .22mag?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts