Need the "Real" Info. New P3AT,..

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by twyacht, May 19, 2008.

1. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    Hello, I am a new P3AT .380 owner, own many other pistols, M+P, Kimber, S&W, Ruger, etc,.. Have A CCW permit, and an NRA member. Read many reviews and decided on a brand new in the box P3AT, over the bugs in the LCP. My Walther PPK/S is a wee bit heavy in summer here in NC.

Question, What is the real deal on break-in, the so called fluff and buff, 200 round break in? Polish this, sand the trigger guard, take a emery board to this?

For a brand new firearm, I should expect reliability and consistency, yes? I have not shot it yet, and would like to hear the real deal before I do.

Also, those extension mags, good, bad, ugly?

Thank you for the chance to introduce myself. As this is my first "really small" pistol, I would like to have a well rounded base of knowledge from those who know the most about this specific pistol.

Thanks again, I look forward to many years of reliable performance from my P3AT, and any tips are greatly appreciated.

Tom W.

2. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    fluff and buff  makes a good thing better and besides it gives you a chance to bond with your new member of your family....welcome to ktog and just look around any question you may have the answers are here.......

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

Just think of a F&B as a detail initial cleaning and lube.

all you have to do is a field strip, look at all the sliding surfaces, and if they need a little polishing, do it, if not, at least you looked.

For this little guns, proper lube makes a big different.

4. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    These days, I would just check to see if the feed ramp needs a bit of polishing and check the slide rails and hammer slide. If all looks good, then shoot away. Some need a bit of break in so I wouldn't get overly concerned with a few jams in the first 150 or so rounds. They generally need to be kept clean and well-lubed as they aren't designed for extensive shooting in one session. Might try 2 types of decent practice ammo initially and save carry ammo testing till it's broken in.

5. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    I wouldn't do without one personally, it gives you a better grip on it. Try it first without one to see how you like it.

6. The real deal IMHO, and speaking as the owner of 3 P3AT's and 1 LCP....

The F&B should be done......and lube the snot out of the lil guns, and during the 200-300 round break in, keep round count to 50 MAX before complete clean and lube.

After break in and gun proves reliable.....I only shoot maybe 3 mags per trip, and always clean and lube after each session.

SHOOT...CLEAN...LUBE.... REPEAT

7. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    +1 on what Alamo wrote...as for myself, I did the following things to my faithful companion...

1. simply racked the slide several times

2. used 400 grit sandpaper to "shine up" the barrel (I have a blued/grey P3AT, therefore, the barrel is bare steel and a bit dull from the factory).

3. noticed that I liked the feel of the gun when I shot it after about 100 rounds (I guess about 100 rds was the "break-in" period for my gun)

4. I used the 400 grit sandpaper to polish up the feed ramp (most suggest 600 - 800 grit sandpaper - found @ Wal-Mart in the automotive section).

5. I added Sprinter's grip pads and grip cover (click here for more reading; click here to simply go ahead and order this great accessory!)

6. clean regularly, even when not shooting (I know...I know...but being obsessive compulsive about a clean gun can't hurt, can it!)

7. added a Bersa finger extension click here to order, but check your local gun shop before you pay $7.00 shipping for a $7.00 product)

Hope this helps,
    GoVols

P.S. If you want to read details about the "fluff & buff", then click here.

8. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I wouldn't do without one personally, it gives you a better grip on it. Try it first without one to see how you like it.[/quote]
    The +1 mag extension seemed a little junky when I was first putting it together but it works flawlessly. The pinky extension (or ringy extension in my case) looks a bit more "stylish" and actually provides a bit better grip if you have large hands. Either way, they both work as advertised.

9. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Grips are a must for comfortable extensive shooting.

Please learn from my mistake and do NOT drive the magazine home. Push in the magazine release and then push the magazine all the way in. Driving it in, only a few times, will cause premature wear of the mag catch. I did it only a few times and the magazine(s) would drop with every shot.

I noticed significant wear on he old catch when compared to the replacement mag catch. I was surprised as I only drove the magazine home a few times. Maybe the man behind the counter or would be buyers helped to wear it out for me?

Please follow the lubrication guide on the golden loki site. My gun was very brand specific. After a proper lubrication it'll eat a few more brands; although it remains picky.

Enjoy!

10. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    This is the one I use and +1 on checking at a gun shop or gun show first. Once a bunch of KT owners started buying these, the price just shot up. They used to be a dollar or two.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm really not a negative person but... 60 + years of life has taught me that very often the "dream is better than the reallity". I would'nt buy a gun like the P3AT or the newer LCP without understanding that I just might have to deal with some issues before getting the gun running 100%.

My first P3AT had extraction failures, out of the box, that were fixed by replacing the extractor. Next problem was that my mag. started to drop out while shooting the gun (NEVER slammed the mag. home!) - metal mag catch fixed that problem. Thirdly my slide has peening (Ser. # J2Rxx) but that appears to have been arrested by adding the nylon washer. Gun is 100% now but slide will be going back to Kel-Tec sometime soon.

My second HC/Gray P3AT (JPMxx) has been flawless!

Both guns have nylon guide rod washers, rubber grips with recoil pads and mag. pinky extensions (one Bersa the newer from Kel-Tec). I've grown to really admire these little guns, I hope you'll also feel likewise about yours.

Take care...

12. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    [​IMG] [/img]

Thank you for all the advice and support. It seems the F & B on a nice afternoon will enhance the performance.

Just a personal adjustment to a brand new pistol; to "tweak" it. The only thing I had to do to my M+P and Walther was load it and go.

Bought and installed the P3AT-313 1 Round Mag Extension. for both mags, the "pointy" other extensions may work for some, just not my style yet.

Went to the GoldenLoki link. Very helpful.

I will post other questions and reports with pics as well soon. Thanks again. Hope the pic posted. I like blue.

Tom W

13. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    [​IMG]

Maybe this will work. Sorry.

14. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Pretty ! Looks like the twin to my Katie but with out the pinky extension.
    No problems with mine , So far.

Welcome aboard , Mate. [ Presuming by your handle you are a fellow boater. ]

15. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    Thank you finnfur, I have been told to sand the seam on the inside of the triggerguard (a little prominent), the action feels smooth Ser# JQU**.

Don't know if this good or not as far as #'s go. Will do the fluff and buff before my initial range time this weekend.

As far as boating, I am an ABYC certified Marine Electrician with multiple certs. in marine electronics, and put the bells and whistles on yachts I cannot afford. Also known as a "sparky".

But I fish on my little boat here in NC, and enjoy it.

Thanks again to you and this forum for the tips and advice to make this little pistol better.

I will post pics and range reports. Have a great and safe Memorial Day to all.

16. jerry-s.

jerry-s. Guest

my p3at has worked well thus far.

the only issue it has had is with American Eagle ammo which gave me "smiley" jams about every 3rd round or so.....

17. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Bought two about 3-4 months ago.
    Both suffered from failure to eject brass from the barrel at a fairly high rate after only an initial cleaning.
    Cleaned again, tried a high tech lightweight lube and they were better.
    Did a little F & B and the first one was fine but the second was still having problems. Total rounds through each now about 200. Different brands and types of ammo.
    I sent it in. I am not sure what all they did but I have run another 100 rounds through each with only one jam.
    Worth the trouble to me for a true light weight pocket gun.