Need some help with a new P3AT...couple issues...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by treedog, Dec 17, 2009.

1. treedog

treedog New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Hey guys,

I signed up on the forum a few months ago and have been doing research for my upcoming concealed carry gun (recently took the class and am applying for the permit) I was originally torn between the PF9 and P3At but recently decided to go with the P3AT as living in Miami with the heat + shorts all the time I feel that overall size is the more important factor to me.

Anyways...a good friend of mine was waiting to see what I decided to go with and on my recommendation  he went with a P3AT. We have taken it to the range 3 times now with very disappointing results. The first time we shot 100 rounds of winchester .380 and we had a TON of light strikes (small dimple on the back of the cartridge but no shot) and no strikes (NO dimple on the back of the cartridge and no shot). I lost count at about 10 or so of each randomly as we took turns firing the gun (basically he would shoot 2 mags then I would shoot two mags...etc).

After that trip we took the gun apart cleaned it lubed it and put it back together. About a week later we got our hands on another 100 winchester .380 and hit the range again. This time it was a little better with something like 5 light strikes and 0 no strikes. Obviously we were still not happy with that...so took apart again cleaned etc..

We then picked up 150 rounds of PMC .380 and went to the range again today hoping that after 200 rounds we would finally be at 100% today. NOPE! It started off fine with about 2 mags straight through but on the third mag we started with intermittent no strikes ( no more light strikes just NO dimple at all on the cartridge and no shot fired). By the time we got to the second box of 50 we had again over 5 or so no strikes and if you pulled the trigger repeatedly on the 2nd or third pull it would fire. By the time we got to the third box of 50 it was worse than ever with a bunch of no strikes.

At this point we are pretty darn disappointed. We paid about $75 twice for the winchester .380 ammo and $75 for the 150 rounds of PMC ammo that's $225 in ammo to break in a gun that we picked up brand new for $250 out the door (additionally purchased the spare mag, 2 pinky extensions, and a belt clip). So, where do we go from here? Is it common for them to require over 300 rounds to break in??

Have you guys seen a problem like this before? is there anything we can try to correct this? How long do you think it will take them to fix it? We both LOVE how the gun shoots and how it carries really well with the belt clip so we want it to work just looking for some guidance :)

I just visited the Kel Tec website to find out about the warranty service and i see they are closed until after New Years.

I really appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks in advance! :)

PS...the serial number on the gun is K4Y.. Not sure what version this is but it was purchased brand new from a local dealer.

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Re: Need some help with a new P3AT...couple issues

I'll jump in. I assume the slide is going all the way forward and locking up. Sounds like a firing pin problem. I'd disassemble and check for any crud, etc. in the firing pin channel. I suppose if someone has messed with the hammer spring it could have been stretched to the point of being unusable.

3. treedog

treedog New Member

Jul 20, 2009

Thanks for the reply. We have taken it apart and looked for any obvious problems, dirt, distortions, etc and everything looks fine. The slide operates fine as far as I can see. The gun will shoot a mag straight through with no issues then it will mess up on a random shot in the next mag. Then run another 1 or two mags right through perfectly then have problems again. I assume Kel Tec will make it right just wanted to see if there was anything else we could try while we wait till they come back from the holidays.

4. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008

i'd be calling keltec....
    i've had mine for over a year now with no problems.
    probably over 500 rounds thru it and not one misfire or anything.
    I just cleaned it good and started shooting it.
    I've used all kinds of ammo and never had a problem.

Just bought a PF-9 yesterday...cleaned it good...took it out today and fired several mags thru it without one problem.

5. marshall

marshall New Member

Dec 8, 2004

You can't do that with a p3at. You can get repeat strikes with a P-11, but not with a P-3AT. If you can do repeat strikes on the same cartridge, something is very wrong. Better ship it home right away.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

there are two trigger configerations from KT

for the first, the trigger had to be released all the way forward.  as you released the trigger, you can hear and feel a click and those get the false impression that the trigger had reset.  If the trigger was pulled after this first click, the hammer would not be drawed back, but would merely fall foward with out enough force to ignite a primer.  Now the trigger is dead and the slide must be racked (at least a 1/4") to reset the hammer.  Pulling from the first click is referred to as short stroking the trigger

the second trigger still has to be released all the way to reset.  However, (I have heard) if you pull the trigger from the first click, the trigger should lockup.  then you can fully release and the trigger would reset and fire.  I'm not sure if you try to pull after the first click and put a lot of force on the trigger what will give.  this trigger is reffered to as the anti short stroking. from your s# being K4, it should be this type

7. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

Could happen with the new hammer blocks if the 1st (and or 2nd ) pull was not a full pull but a snap off the block/short stroke (new hammer block allows a full return to front and a repull to shoot- old hammer block required a slide movement to reset)

JFB and me was a thinking and typing the same thing,just came out w/ different words, but it took me longer with fewer words :-?  :D

8. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN

did you do the f&b? how wel did you clean the upper/slide/fireing pin area? is the gun clean? oil or grease on the rails?? the f&b will make things better. if all else fails, send back to kel tec with a details of the problems. they will fix it.

9. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

It realy sounds to me like you guys are short stroking the trigger. You can do that with a Glock (so I've heard) but with the P3AT you'll just get a lot of light strikes and a lot of frustration.

10. justintendo

justintendo New Member

Dec 16, 2009

this is what mine does....i have no light strikes, but sometimes no firing pin contact at all...im trained mostly with a revolver, i know im releasing the trigger the whole way...
    its fired on the 3, 4th pull sometimes. mine only has about 50 rounds thru it...i m gonna look at the firing pin, but if needs torn down more, its going back after the break.

11. treedog

treedog New Member

Jul 20, 2009

Thank you VERY MUCH for all the input guys...I do really appreciate it very much.

Based on what you guys are saying maybe we were not pulling the trigger all the way through I was not really paying close attention to that...I will say that on many of the mags that went right through flawlessly I believe we were pretty much both doing the same thing every time BUT I will make sure we pay attention next time.

I swear guys that it would sometimes fire on the 2nd or 3rd trigger pull for both of us. I was unaware that you needed to rack the slide to reset... I thought it was revolver like in that sense also that you could just pull the trigger again if you had a bad primer...Is this not the case? and you must rack the slide whenever you have a failure to fire???

Personally my own experience with hand guns (besides this P3AT) is pretty much only with my H&K USP 45 Fullsize and that bad boy goes bang no matter what I throw at it so I really have not had to pay attention to how I pull the trigger. I know the P3AT is a totally different animal and part of that whole extended trigger pull is required as a safety so I will try and adjust to that.

Thanks again! :)

12. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

I know you stated that you've cleaned it but did you remove the firing pin and clean it and the FP channel? Some people have light strikes due to junk in the firing pin channel. Make sure you use the right sized allen wrench (2mm?) so the extractor bolt doesn't get stripped. Try an spray cleaner like Break free powder blast or use compressed air to get it clean. When you reinstall the FP make sure the flat part faces the bolt and the FB moves properly when your done. Use some blue Locktite on the bolt, it doesn't have to be over tight.

CJ

13. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009

Just curious if you figured out the problem yet.? I've only had one light strike on over 75 rounds but it was the first round out of the mag and I think I just went a little light racking the slide.

14. treedog

treedog New Member

Jul 20, 2009

We pulled the gun apart again today and everything pretty much looks good...no obvious problems. Before blowing another 100 rounds we are going to just send the gun back to Kel Tec and have them look at it after they come back from vacation on the 4th. I will update here.

15. zuma

zuma New Member

Dec 6, 2009

I had this issue as I had posted on this site with one brand of ammo, neither of what you mentioned. The pin could not penetrate the primer on the Hungary ammo. But all other ammo is fine. Brass, Am eagle, Aguila. No other issues. About 500 rounds through it.

16. David_S

David_S New Member

Dec 7, 2009

Probably a good idea. I didn't realize how quickly the $$ can be ejected with a fun semiauto till I got mine. Went shooting and then did the math and thought sheesh this could be an expensive hobby since I like to shoot not just CC with the gun.

17. Robert357

Robert357 New Member

May 11, 2009
    WA, the State

This sounds very familiar to some threads on the PF-9 forum about light strikes.  The discussion there focused short stroking, Winchester Ammo, limp wristing (not allowing full cycling of the slide to lock-up), brass shavings in the firing pin channel, small metal burs in the firing pin channel, small burs on the breach face or extractor, misshaped firing pin or firing pin channel not being centered properly during manufacture.

I have had the problem with the PF-9 only with certain ammo.  I have found brass shavings in the firing pin channel.  I may have done some limp wristing and/or short stroking.  What I have done to remedy the problem is focus on fully releasing the trigger (and putting the handgun down between shots at the range), better wrist control and firearm grip during firing, trying lots of different ammo and staying with what works, cleanning the hell out of the firing pin channel, and using a rubbing compound on the firing pin channel and firing pin to smooth everything down.

Good luck and let us know what KelTec says and does.

PS- I haven't had this problem with my P3-AT

18. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007

+1 on the firing pin channel :) Also grease the slide and where the hammer rides against the bottom of the slide. I'd try all this before sending the gun back and waiting at least 8 weeks to get it back. :'(

19. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009

Here's an easy, yet crude, little test you can try

- Empty gun
    - put it into firing position
    - stick a full size #2 pencil in the barrel eraser side in
    - aim the gun straight up
    - pull the trigger and check the travel of the pencil

The pencil should clear the gun by 4-6" and shoot out easily if your firing mechanism is working OK. If not, work backwards. Check the pin, the channel, the spring, the striker mechanism, etc. Good luck.