Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Not the cliff notes, more like a novel

Here is a start

Cliff Notes

The recoil springs come out the muzzle of the slide.

Prior to this, the hole for the recoil guide begins to show raised metal (peening) and the clearance around the rod increases

most common cause is the depth of the 1/4" hole in the inside of the slide was drilled too deep and left only a knife edge of metal to support the guide rod. failure almost imediate

failures after several hundred rounds also possible

·
Registered
89 Posts
please note that it appears to be a recent batch of slides...many...no most do not have the defective slides...

has anyone identified which serial numbers this problem started showing itself ???

HT3xx no problamo... ;D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I guess I have the problem.  I have a raised ridge that goes halfway around the outside circumference of the rod hole . I've shot approx. 200 rounds.

What is the next step? Send back parts to Kel Tec or get one of those spacers?

Blued Serial # J6EXX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also have a J6EXX serial number. About 150 rounds through the gun. Faintest hint of a raised area around the top half of the guide rod hole. Nothing that is even close to needing a replacement but I thought I would make a note of it here.

Should be noted that when I did my fluff n' buff just recently the guide rod was rough as a rat-tail file but is now silky smooth.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
ZeSpectre said:
Also have a J6EXX serial number.  About 150 rounds through the gun.  Faintest hint of a raised area around the top half of the guide rod hole.  Nothing that is even close to needing a replacement but I thought I would make a note of it here.

Should be noted that when I did my fluff n' buff just recently the guide rod was rough as a rat-tail file but is now silky smooth.
ZS - I am not convinced that ALL P3AT's end up with that little ridge if you look hard enough. I think the question is does it ever grow large enough to let the spring out?

In other words, I hope we are not screaming "movie" in a crowded fire house [sic] and causing everyone to get out the magnifying glass or straight edge and then thinking what they see is really a problem.

-Scott

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
adamsesq said:
...that ALL P3AT's end up with that little ridge if you look hard enough...everyone to get out the magnifying glass or straight edge..
I guess a 10X loupe and a precission ground piece of cutting colbalt steel qualifies as being paranold ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Even though my first slide did not let the springs out it was def pushing out the front evenly around the hole, visible by plain sight. My second slide is as well but not nearly as bad as the first.....yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My earlier post from a different thread:

RL said:
My P3AT, purchased Jan. 23rd, Serial # J6Hxx has had its slide sent back to Kel-Tec for replacement.

While I didn't lose my recoil springs, there was a definite wearing of the guide rod hole; the thickness of the slide was extremely thin and varied around the edge of the hole itself.  Peening was also readily apparent.   150 rds. through the pistol.

I was directed to simply return the slide with a note.  Kel-Tec received my shipment on Feb. 6.  Purpose of this posting is to provide Serial # info.  I'm waiting for this all to resolve before chiming in on other threads.
Maybe we've nailed it on the J6 run...?

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
adamsesq said:
ZS - I am not convinced that ALL P3AT's end up with that little ridge if you look hard enough.  I think the question is does it ever grow large enough to let the spring out?  

In other words, I hope we are not screaming "movie" in a crowded fire house [sic] and causing everyone to get out the magnifying glass or straight edge and then thinking what they see is really a problem.  

-Scott
Scot makes a valid point here. If the recoil rod has ANY texture from the machining operation it WILL raise metal at the hole and predominately the top of the hole. This is a different issue from the peening problem.

The peening should be a larger raised area and also all the way around the hole. I don't see the "filing" issue as a "problem", more of a F&B issue.

My recoil rod looked and felt smooth to the touch, but when I ran my fingernail along it I could feel the texture. When I looked real close I could see the machining marks from the last pass of the cutting tool. Now why they turn this part on a lathe instead of cold heading it from a piece of rod stock is a whole 'nother question.

Moral of this story is that a few passes lengthwise on the recoil rod with some fine sandpaper is highly recomended on a new recoil rod.

The "filing" action may not be a real problem long term but it does look bad and MAY be mistaken for the "peening" problem which appears to be due to too deep a spring pocket in the slide.

G

·
Have a 380 kt with over 5000 rounds through it . It is over 16 months old and it shows zero signs of any peening or anything. Also just sent back a high blued slide that kt replaced for me about 4 plus months ago (3rd slide replaced by the way but the other two were not for peeing) Anyway this slide has alittle over 2000 flawless rounds through it and it is starting to peen-bigtime. I do not attribugte that to the recoil rod causing the problem. Waiting on a new slide-hopefully a "good" slide to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I wasn't trying to "cry wolf" but if we are trying to narrow down an issue then all information is helpful. For example we may have two issues ("filing" and a too thin slide) to track. Or one of them may show up but be a non-issue in terms of longevity. I suspect it is probably important to track all of them then we can firmly say "oh this is no problem"

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote author=RL link=board=104;num=1172102977;start=0#9 date=02/22/07 at 07:53:18]My earlier post from a different thread:

Maybe we've nailed it on the J6 run...?[/quote]

My P-3AT is serial number J3--- and its original slide had the peening problem. So did the replacement slide. It is at KT right now for another try. Most of the people posting with peening troubles are J5--- and J6--- serial numbers. I think mine is the only J3--- that has been posted but I might have missed one.

Paul

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
My HV has the tapered hold but seems to be thick enough to not have the peening issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.