need point shooting advice

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, Sep 26, 2009.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I'm interested in learning to point shoot.  They do have classes on the subject in my parts but they're not free.  After 35 years of shooting handguns using the sights I've decided to teach myself to point shoot.  I think it would be especially practical with my P3AT. Any proficient point shooters have tips or techniques they'd like to pass along?  The knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gordon

2. longbeard48

longbeard48 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    This is how I was taught: Stand in front of a mirror with your unloaded gun. Quickly raise it and point it at your own reflection, center mass. Now, without moving the gun, move your head behind it so that you can see where the sights point. Concentrate on correct grip. The idea is to build good habits.
    Repeat this exercise 25 or so times a day. After several days you should be able to see improvement and build confidence.

3. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Same here. It is all about knowing the feel of your pistol as well as if it were a part of you. You can look at a target, close your eyes, point your finger at it, and when you open your eyes you are going to be pointing right at it. That's where you want to be with point shooting. Lots of range practice helps. Start with a paper plate at one yard, then gradually back it away as your accuracy improves. Begin with the pistol at your side, or from a holstered position. That will train you from zero.

4. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    I highly reccomend the book "Bulleyes Don't Shoot Back: The Complete Text of Point Shooting for Close Quarters Battle" by Col. Rex Applegate. Available from Paladin Press.

5. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I agree with streetprowler. Start close and when you can empty a magazine into a pie plate size area,
    move the traget back a foot. Fire from the hip upto the center of your body (somewhere between your navel and your solar plexus. Being right handed, I use a two handed grip with my right thumb on top.
    Both hands come together as I'm drawing, my vision stays on the target, and I point my thumbs at the target. Arms are slightly extended, with elbows slightly out.
    A laser is also a great training aid. I can control mine pressure on the grip. I train both ways (on/off).
    Hope this helps & is not too confusing.
    Norton

6. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    :) :)
    Thanks for all of the advice.  All of it's helpful and easy to understand.  I knew my fellow ktog'rs would help!

7. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Check out my first on-line book in my signature.

There's also some good stuff on threatfocused.com forums

8. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    I started reading Riverkeeper's online book. Looks like good stuff. River, you might want to put that into the counter for wider reading. The font is a little hard to read, but the writting is good.

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Take it to the range, point it at the target & pull the trigger. Don't squeeeeze, don't jerk just pull thru. You may be surprised just how close you get. These little guys, in fact all the KT pistols, naturally point shoot quite well.

10. ericire12

ericire12 Guest

If you get a chance to practice with a gun that is fitted with a laser it is of great help.... also just play around with the ones on the display counter at the local gun shop

11. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Get some big sheets o' cardboard, like refrigerator boxes or sumpfin. If you shoot at a target and miss, you don't know much, if you put a big back stop up, you have somthing to work with. Heck, even newspaper would work.

BTW, in that article about point shooting, cutting the finger guard off a gun sounds somewhere between dangerous and dumb to me.

12. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    +2
    I  don't recommend point shooting using your index finger to point with and pulling the trigger with the middel finger.
    [​IMG]That would leave your 2 weakest fingers to hold the grip and that seems dangerous too...

13. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    +1 on the Laser [got one on my older P3AT].

Wish they made a P3AT gas blowback Airsoft pistol, I do a lot of practice with my Glock 26 Airsoft in place of my real Glock 26.

Take care...

14. chiefjason

chiefjason New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Great info! Just not sure the indoor range I use would like shooting up from the hip. There is a gas station above them. ;D Need to find a range where I can practice more than just accuracy and round count.

15. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Range under a gas station... that could get interesting.
    I wish I'd taken time to learn during the last 16 years when I lived way out in the sticks. I used to shoot to my heart's content. Now that I'm back in the burbs I'm back to the indoor ranges. The one I frequent the most won't have a problem with point shooting or drawing from the hip but I've been to some that are pretty strict. Went to one not long ago where double-taps were forbidden - go figure.
    I can't wait to get back to the range to try some of the tips.
    Riverkeeper, I do plan to read your book.