Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a Walther PK380 and online searches revealed that it had a fair number of problems when it was first introduced. A lot of returns for repair. However most of the blog comments and YouTube videos appear to be from the early 2009 or 10, up to about 2014 or 15. I found few reports from 2015/16 on. I would like to use current info in my decision making. If you own, or used to own a PK380 manufactured in 2016 or 17. What has your experience been. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

·
Administrator
32,080 Posts
You may do better asking here:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/

Just in case you didn't know there was a Walther forum, you'd probably be well served to do some reading there.

Reactions: Toakey45036

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
A friend has one, bought a few months ago. I've put maybe two dozen rounds through it. No problems. I shot well with it and liked the feel in my hand. Friend reports zero problems with it, other than it didn't particularly like Fiocchi hollowpoints, but liked everything else.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I considered one, but the workmanship was mediocre. Also, I had trouble with the mag release. For some reason, it always worked well for me on HK and real Walthers, but Umarex somehow screwed it up on PK380. In the end, I found Browning 1911-380 more to my liking, if we talk a cheap .380 for plinking. That gun has its own slight problems (I have the infamous ejector set too far forward on mine). Really, if I were out for something in the class, I'd look for Sphinx AT. But that's unobtanium and costs thousands.

·
Registered
368 Posts
CZ-83 is not recoil operated. There's a number of fine blowbacks in 380 caliber: Colt 1903 is the gun that inaugurated the cartridge, Beretta 84 FS is the modern Cheetah, SIG P232 is a better PPK than PPK itself. CZ-83 easily finds its place among them. But I figured Mr. Toakey didn't want to deal with any of those. Perhaps he has arthritis.

This is why I suggested Browning 1911-380. Of course, Glock 42 is soft-shooting, but it's not primarily a range gun, even with extended magazines. And it's not as soft as PK380 and 1911-380. The trigger is a typical Glock on it, too.

Same critique applies to P238 and Kimber Micro.

Also, I figured he didn't want to deal with the quirky antique, Remington 51. Its recoil is also strange.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts