Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll just say it.
The ACOG TA33 3X is about perfect. Just one teency-weency problem;
I can get 260 #6s at Whataburger for the same price. If you know the #6, you understand the dilemma. If you don't, you should.

Either way, I don't have an ACOG. (Update: I sprung for a TA33 on a sale at OP) I have a 2.5X20 scope I just love (and bought another). My bumper sticker says "Ask me about my Leupold". But the sad reality is my scope is not Wayne Gretzky slap shot proof. 260 #7s or Gretzky-proof? Its still a tough decision.

So, in the realm of magnified CQB capable optics, there aren't many champions worthy enough grace the top of my boom stick that can eat a puck or are under the 260 burger range.

I think I have seen almost everything out there unless I missed something. Lots of new tubes out there but it seems the fixed low power prisms don't have much of a float in the fixed low power parade.

Yes, I know I can lay off the burgers but thats not the point. Im just being cute.
I'm griping about the lack of low power MIL SPEC options, or at least anything new.

Here is a good article that is on target about my fixation:
https://everydaymarksman.wordpress....r-variables-vs-low-power-fixed-magnification/
#6 rules!
http://whataburger.com/food/item/double-meat-whataburger-jr

Here is the list so far:
ACOG TA44 1.5X16
ACOG TA45 1.5X24
ACOG TA47 2X20
ACOG TA50 3X24
ACOG TA33 3X30
ACOG TA11 3.5X35
ACOG TA31&TA01 4X32
LEUPOLD HAMR 4X24
ELCAN SPECTRE DR 1-4X32? (not really a variable but two fixed)
ELCAN SPECTRE 4X32
ELCAN M145 3.4X?
ELCAN SPECTRE OS 3X?
COLT M16 3X20 (MILSPEC?)
HENSOLDT ZO 4X30 (MILSPEC?)
STEINER M332 3X32
STEINER ICS 6X40 (this is $$$ and very cool)
LUCID P7 4X30 (bordering on China cheap, but I like these guys)
VORTEX SPITFIRE 3X?
PRIMARY ARMS 2.5X?
PRIMARY ARMS 3X32
PRIMARY ARMS 5X?
SIGHTMARK WOLFHOUND 3X24
ATHLON OPTICS PR41 4X34
ATHLON OPTICS PR31 3X32
TRUGLO 2X42 TG8030MB2 (China, yes. But a decent offering)

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
No idea what in the world you're speaking of. Whattaburger....huh? Ain't got them around here.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're everywhere in Texas. Some folks in Houston survived the flood floating on a #1 Whataburger bun. Really.

BTW, is anyone using the Leupold HAMR?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Given any thought to Primary Arms? They got a few 3x and 4x sights that are ~$300, way cheaper than an ACOG and they get very favorable reviews.

I've not used them but I have a few of their red dots and a $120 1-4 of theirs and I'm shocked at how good the glass is considering the cost.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Given any thought to Primary Arms?
Sure. Primary and Vortex have great scopes. But my intent, with the Lucid being the exception, is to focus on high end battle durable optics. In this criteria Primary and Vortex are way better than the likes of most sub-$300 offerings. Everybody claims to be "shock proof" these days at all price points. But since you mentioned them I will add them to the list as I originally intended to.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sure. Primary and Vortex have great scopes. But my intent, with the Lucid being the exception, is to focus on high end battle durable optics. In this criteria Primary and Vortex are way better than the likes of sub-$300 offerings. Everybody claims to be "shock proof" these days at all price points. But since you mentioned them I will add them to the list as I originally intended to.
I'm in the same boat as you, I'd LOVE to have an ACOG, but I'm not keen on the price. I plan on getting a PA 3,4 or 5x eventually but I've got a backlog of scopes sitting around waiting for a home.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to think of the optic as something I added to the rifle. But the more I learn how good many scopes are for the money, my opinion has flipped.
When I decide which optic is right for me, Ill be adding rifles to my optics.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Burris MTAC 1-4. They also have a fixed 3x and 5x if that suits your needs better.
I agree with MarkCO. I have several MTAC 1-4s and they are great and will compare with optics costing much more.
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/mtac-riflescopes-series/mtac-riflescope-1-4x24mm

As a lower priced alternative, Bushnell AR Optics has an optic similar to the Burris MTAC which I also have and find no fault with.
http://bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl

Reactions: MarkCO
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.