Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last time I was at the range my p3at worked great. So, I've been carrying it for about 4 months. I took it to the range today and had some trouble. Right from the get go the gun would hardly fire. I'd pull the trigger back all the way till it touched the frame and it wouldn't fire unless I pulled ridicuoulslly hard. So anyway I took it apart farther than I shold have and I'm trying to get the "hammer block back into the frame with the spring. Appreciate any advice. I found a post about how to do it, but no luck making it work.
thanks,

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
No T.D., he took hammer block (272,273,270)out of the grip along with the spring & pin. I think... I can't help, that would give me a headache .... KT has a tool to help em...,, but it can be done at home.

I know how to put frame back in grip and get hammer block in under hammer, but,,,, .. pistolpete35, someone will be here soon to rescue because we were talking about this 2 weeks ago...I know spring has to have correct tension on it coiled up...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i have take many out on a p3at and pf9. it is not hard to get back in. i use a plastic coffee straw. cut the straw about the same size as the pin. put the spring and hammer block on straw and set in place. push pin in side of straw, then cut/pull straw out/away. just work with it and it will work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PITA, but I got the hammer block, and spring in the right way and reassembled the gun. So, back to the problem that led me to take it apart in the first place.
I can pull the trigger back till it touches the inside of the trigger guard and it will not fire. I figured there was some type of debree lodged in it, that's why I took it apart. But it was clean. The hammer just will not drop when it's supposed to. If I pull it really hard into the frame it will fire.
Again, this is right out of the blue. Pistol was great the last time I shot it, and has never shown this problem before.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Don't take me wrong!! But the gun has a lifetime warranty. Let Kel Tec worry about fixing it.

If you don't have another mouse gun pick up a used JA-22. They are far better guns than people think.

At this moment if I had to choose a mouse gun to take one shot that will save my life, I would choose my JA-22 for that shot. The JA-22 has fired well over 5000 shots without a problem.

My Kel Tec has fired less than 100 shots in a row without a problem (just my last plinking session) of 300 total shots. I hope the Kel Tec grows on me soon.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ok then, pistolpete,,, were back to toney's post! He'll come back!

your trigger bar and trigger bar spring has to be rechecked.., mainly the spring turned counterclockwise and top of spring stuck back in the lil' slot in bottom front of trigger bar.

tiny slot in lower front area of trigger bar.

rotate spring back around with finger, make sure it in slot. and make sure part 272(hammer block) is in correct location under hammer when you re-install frame into grip.

Others will help ya!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So this morning I was dry firing it with the slide off. ( I was letting the hammer hit my pinky so it didn't hurt anything...ouch) and it will fire, but not until the trigger touches the inside of the frame. I'll stay tuned for any recommendations about the trigger bar. I'm going to call kel tec today and see what they say.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a hold of kel tec and the cs person said it could be hammer block or something else so I should just send it to them. I asked him about shipping and he said that I could send the shipping reciept and they might reimburse me, but that was up to the gunsmith. I asked him if I should just send it fed-ex next day air because it's a firearm he told me to just field strip it and since it is now not a functioning firearm to send it as "machine parts" . That would save me a lot of money, but that doesn't sound like good legal advice. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Is it? I know people do it all the time I just wondered what you guys thought?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If that is what they said to do then I would do it, they know what they are talking about when it comes to shipping.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I was fiddleing with it and the trigger spring popped out somehow. Reinstalled it, but didn't thing to install it so there would be tension on the trigger bar...duh. Ended up wrecking spring removing it, so I ordered one from keltec.
I should just send it to kel-tec, but I want to figure it out myself if possible.
One thing I always noticed about my p3at (maybe there are all like this) but the trigger broke when it was pretty far back right from the get go. When it gave me trouble the last time out it would still fire, but you had to pull the trigger into the frame real hard.
What actually trips the hammer on a p3at? Is it the part of the trigger bar that sticks out at a right angle to the rest of the bar? Cause I could see that causing the trouble it it was bent at two much of an angle.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I got a hold of kel tec and the cs person said it could be hammer block or something else so I should just send it to them. I asked him about shipping and he said that I could send the shipping reciept and they might reimburse me, but that was up to the gunsmith. I asked him if I should just send it fed-ex next day air because it's a firearm he told me to just field strip it and since it is now not a functioning firearm to send it as "machine parts" . That would save me a lot of money, but that doesn't sound like good legal advice. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Is it? I know people do it all the time I just wondered what you guys thought?
That's pretty bad advice from the Kel Tec tech. Just because you disassemble the firearm does not make it a "non-firearm. The frame itself (the serial numbered piece, in whatever condition) is considered the "firearm" under federal law and must be shipped in accordance with the law. A non FFL can only ship a handgun via a "common carrier", which means either UPS or Fedex. Federal law does not require overnight shipping, but both UPS and Fedex will require overnight shipping as a matter of company policy. Only an FFL can ship a handgun via USPS.

Yes, there are those who ship a handgun, labeled as machine parts, and apparently get away with it, but if caught, it is a federal felony. Just not worth the risk of a federal conviction and all loss of firearms rights. So my advice is to either bite the bullet and pay the costs of proper, legal shipping, or try to find an FFL in your area who will ship it for you. That usually costs a lot less, since the FFL can use USPS and does not have to overnight it. Even if shipped via an FFL, Kel Tec can still return it directly to you. It does not have to come back via the FFL.

Jim R

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
So I was fiddleing with it and the trigger spring popped out somehow. Reinstalled it, but didn't thing to install it so there would be tension on the trigger bar...duh. Ended up wrecking spring removing it, so I ordered one from keltec.
I should just send it to kel-tec, but I want to figure it out myself if possible.
One thing I always noticed about my p3at (maybe there are all like this) but the trigger broke when it was pretty far back right from the get go. When it gave me trouble the last time out it would still fire, but you had to pull the trigger into the frame real hard.
What actually trips the hammer on a p3at? Is it the part of the trigger bar that sticks out at a right angle to the rest of the bar? Cause I could see that causing the trouble it it was bent at two much of an angle.
The trigger bar moves the hammer block (which actually is also the sear which interacts with the hammer sear) out of the way (yes, this is part that makes the right angle). The hammer bar can wear or even get a slight kink or bend which can then prevent it from fully moving the hammer block. In your case, I would simply replace both the spring and the trigger bar to see if that would then allow the hammer block to move properly and release the hammer. I have seen this exact problem in a couple of PF-9s, and theproblem was, in both cases, a a slightly kinked or bent trigger bar. When the bar was replaced, both functioned perfectly again.

Jim R

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks jim. I probably should have ordered a trigger bar when I ordered the spring. After I get my other parts I'll order a spring. To install trigger spring do you just put it in so 1/2 turn puts it under tension when installed under the trigger bar?
my reading of the law was that federal law required that I notify ups or fedex that it was a firearm. So, I'm convinced it would have to be sent overnight and would be a big hassle. I'll call the shop I bought it from and see if they will send usps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got my bag of parts from kel-tec. Great prices and fast shipping. I put the trigger spring in and I noticed the new spring put more tension on the trigger part than the old one that I had broke. Put gun together and it works ok now. Trigger still breaks father back than I'd like, but it always did. I figure maybe the older trigger spring wasn't holding the trigger bar up like it should and that was the problem.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nice! Less than two weeks from when you posted the problem here until now, when you have successfully repaired your P-3AT.

I am impressed!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well took it out and shot it and it works fine. did have one jam when my dad was shooting it. Problem was just the trigger spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts