Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working hard to get this little gun to function reliably. I made great improvements by polishing the barrel and chamber, but still would have fte from time to time with target ammo. I recently checked the extractor spring screw and found it to be a little loose. It was removed, re-loctited, and re-assembled.
Then, I went to the range and what did I hear...........CLICK. Upon inspection, I found that the firing pin (at the back of the slide) was sticking back about 1/8 inch. Is this something I can fix or do I need to send it back to Kel-Tec. I am thinking that the the extractor screw is too tight, keeping the firing pin back as described. Please advise!!!!!!!
I want to be able to feel good about carrying this gun, but am loosing confidence in it fast!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
The extractor screw is what holds the FP IN the gun. The screw normally fits in a "channel" in the firing pin and allows the pin to move forward and back. When you took the screw out, the firing pin moved and now you have mashed the screw into it and locked it in place.

You may be able to clean up the pin and reuse it, but most likely you will need a new one. You might as well order a new extractor, spring and screw and FP spring while you are at it.

Packer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
A while ago, Packer offered this guidance on removing the frankenbolt:
Two Pistol Packer said:
1. Dry fire to drop the hammer onto the firing pin and keep it immobilized. Do NOT move the slide.
2. Remove the buttonhead, spring and extractor.
3. Clean out any carbon deposits on spring, extractor or slide.
4. Put parts back in gun and tighten button head.
You might be able to get the firing pin back into the proper relationship with the frankenbolt by orienting the flat area toward the bolt and then following his instructions.

If you mark the back of the pin so you know when it is oriented correctly and then reassemble, you probably have a fighting chance. ;D

TucsonMTB . . . who thinks it is worth a try

·
Registered
702 Posts
I learned this the hard way.......did not drop the hammer and like a dumb a_ _ applied locktite to the button head before I realized that the firing pin had moved.......fortunately I live fairly close to KelTec so I drove down. They replaced the slide and did a F&B....have not had problems since...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, now I really have problems. Tried removing the extractor screw and the head broke off. The advise given in the responses was good, just didn't work in my case. What are these screws made of anyway.? Didn't take much pressure and snap. Guess I will contact Kel-Tec and request a new slide. Oh well.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
mm56 said:
Well, now I really have problems. Tried removing the extractor screw and the head broke off. The advise given in the responses was good, just didn't work in my case. What are these screws made of anyway.? Didn't take much pressure and snap. Guess I will contact Kel-Tec and request a new slide. Oh well.
If you can't get the screw out there are 2 options: Send the slide in. They will fix yours or send you back a new one. This will take a few weeks. To save time, you could buy one from them and have it shipped quickly. Then return yours for a refund. Call the service department and figure out how to proceed, but you won't have to buy a new slide. 8)

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
mm56 said:
Any gunsmith or machinist can drill and remove the broken screw with an Easy-Out in about five minutes. Shouldn't cost you more then 10 - 15 bucks most places, probably free in others.

rcmodel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.