Need help with optic

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by iamscottasus, Nov 10, 2017.

1. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    So, I got my TA33 and no, im not happy.
    I have put this on a few rifles to see if there was any difference but i get the same thing. Even on a regular AR.
    I strongly feel the ocular focal point is off center. When I put myself directly behind the ocular lens any more than two inches, i get crescent black area on the left taking up a quarter of my field of view. FOV is not normally impressive with this model, but this is ridiculous.
    What do y'all think?
    IMG_20171110_122450.jpg IMG_20171110_122123.jpg IMG_20171110_123446.jpg IMG_20171110_123357.jpg IMG_20171110_123113.jpg
    I used the hole in the base and the mount for alignment. The fact that the reticle lines up is coincidence. This is the factory setting. New from box

2. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Man, its cricketsville here.
    Well, here's another clue for you all...
    I did this test projecting the focal point onto a backing and i think its pretty clear what's happening.
    IMG_20171111_222642.jpg IMG_20171111_222631.jpg IMG_20171111_222617.jpg IMG_20171111_222028.jpg
    Another interesting thing is to get the flashlight to center in the projection ring, the flashlight had to be placed off-center.

3. Retired1

Retired1 Active Member Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Northwest Oklahoma
    I think I'd be looking for another optic..

For as much money as these cost, I'd suggest at least trying another and see if it does the same. Can you return this one?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 12:18 PM
  4. -Dragon-

-Dragon- Member

May 15, 2017
    Contact Trijicon tech support something looks misaligned

5. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Did all the above. This is ACOG return #2 so they are already tired of me! The first was for a chipped lens, which is pretty unusual for an optic of this quality.
    I started with Trijicon technical support first for this second issue. The tech was supportive but doubtful, understandably. He said turn around is about 4 weeks and i would be better letting OP handle it. So I got a reluctant return authorization from them. Im happy about it since im going to ask to exchange for a green reticle. I didn't think the red was bright enough in low light.

6. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I didn't know anything about this Trijicon optic before. But now I know I'd choose a $19.95 Barska from WalMart over one. First a chipped lens. Then something aligned worse than a Cracker Jacks toy? Trijicon must have zero quality control. And I would say zero customer service too, if they expected you to put up with a 4 month turn-around. This is not a "repair it" defect. This is a "I want a brand new one" defect. Actually, I'd want 100% of my money back, and then I'd walk away from that company and never look back.

Are you sure this was an actual Trijicon, or was it maybe a junk Chinese knockoff from a company that spells their name "Trilicon"?

phideaux likes this.
  7. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Trijicon is a military supplier. ACOGs have been standard issue with M4s for 20 years. Nothing Trijicon makes is inferior to anything. However, I am not so impressed with the quality. These are usually difficult to get but now is the first time they have offered a rebate.
    It makes me wonder if manufacturing had moved to China and the manufacturing cost is low.

8. -Dragon-

-Dragon- Member

May 15, 2017
    on second inspection what kind of TA33 is that? Most scopes don't just have the glowing dot or cross they have other black markings in them to compensate for distance, it's odd you don't see it in your pictures

9. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    It's the red horseshoe and Dot reticle with a 400 m bdc underneath. It is illuminated by the fiber optic strip. You don't see the fine detail because I wasn't trying to focus on it.