need help, whats it worth?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tlantill, Feb 19, 2008.

1. tlantill

tlantill New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    i am looking at a 1st gen p3at. the guy says he bought it new in maybe late in 2003. he has put 500 flawless rounds through it. he has done the fluff and buff and has carried it in his pocket for the last 3 years.

so what do you think its worth?

he is asking $195. i thought it was a little high.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I am cheap.  Long timers on the board will attest that is an understatement.  _I_ would scarff it up in a heartbeat at $195.  After trying to get it down to $150 of course.  If you don't, someone else will.

A lot of people really like the 1st gen's better.  They sometimes took a little more work.  And you ought to be willing to do any future wrk on it yourself if you want to keep the 1st gen as KT has been known to upgrade 1st gens to 2nd gens when sent in for service.  Not always but sometimes.  

You also ought to be aware that KT's warranty officially only applies to the original purchaser.  So far they have been spectacular about not asking/don't telling.  I admire them for that and have no fear a all about buying a previous love KT wepaon.  But it could change in the future.  

IMNSHO - go get it.  Quickly. Otherwise, please PM me the seller's info...

-Scott

3. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    if you think it's a little high, then go lower. If he won't go lower and you won't pay $195, then it just wasn't meant to be.

I'd pick it up too for $195 after trying to go lower just like Scott would!

4. tlantill

tlantill New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    thanks guys i appreciate the info. i will let you know how things go. i will most likely pick it up. it may not be until this weekend though.

5. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Which part of run don't walk cause someone else will snap that up do you not understand.

Less tha $200 for a 1G that has been ALLREADY debugged & proof tested. Ready to put in your pocket & go.

Why can't I find a deal like that? ::) :-/

6. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    If you want, PM me his name and phone number and I'll try to smooth the way for you. Do it soon, we don't want to loose this now. Do we? :p

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I don't know I would do it for $200.
    You can get a new one for $250. My Second Generation HC was only $299. And the second generation has a better ejector in my opinion.

Since these guns seem to have a pretty high return rate if shot enough, and IF KT changes the repair policy, then to save $50 you just lost a lifetime warranty.

$150 yes, $200, I don't think so.

8. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    It's a 1G, smaller, lighter & NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION.  Lifetime warranty.... they haven't asked & I've not told.  I'd take that chance in a heartbeat.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    This is obviously very valid logic. Some people will feel this way, and others won't. I think I would have a year ago on a KT product (in fact I might have even said it myself here on KTOG), now I don't. Many other products I still feel this way.

-Scott

10. peaceful99

peaceful99 New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. :p

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Nah, they make chocolate and vanilla because some people are right and some people are wrong and even wrong people have the right to buy ice cream ;D

-Scott

12. tlantill

tlantill New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    you guys are pretty funny. like i said i will most likely pick it up depending on inspection of the gun. but just to let you know it comes with a pocket holster and 3 boxes of ammo.

so i figure its worth $195 of course i will offer less but thats just me.

i am supposed to meet the guy tomorrow night and have a look. if i like it i give him the $195 put it in my pocket and head back home. if not i will post the info here.

13. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    You can buy a new one at Gander for $260 this month. The one near me has 3 used 1 gen's for $220 (1 is $270, no one know's why) with 1 year warranty and if don't want the warranty they knock off $20.
    If it was me and I could affford the extra $, I would buy new. I would offer the guy no more than $175 and show him the Gander ad.
    Norton

14. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    At the risk of repeating my self, a new one is 2G. A 1G is NOT available new.

15. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    at risk of starting a 1G versus 2G debate, the 1G may be smaller, and lighter by a hair, it's also has an ejector that smacks shells in your face, a feed ramp not polished at the factory and may need other "adjustments".

The 2G is more refined, would have a warranty without hoping KT doesn't question it, and is Brand new for $50.00 more. What happens if KT's management starts losing business to Ruger and decides to beef up cost cutting? Excessive warranty work would probably be the first area affected. All they have to do is start enforcing what is already official policy and have a huge cost savings.
    Not worth the chance for the price of a fried chicken dinner for the family.
    Not even a close call IMO.

16. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    And that's why as Scott so aptly put it "they make chocolate & vanilla". 1G may need some help (this particular one appears to be in fine working order however) but they are only going to become harder to obtain as time goes on.

Not even a close call IMO. ;) ;D

Seriously, this is one of those things that really does not have a right answer. In my case I'd swap a brand new 2G for a running 1G in the proverbial heartbeat. BUT that's just me. Now if I shot Corbon instead of Win ST that might be another story.