Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking a gun is hard enough but choosing the optics is whats bangs my head against the wall.
When I got my KSG a year ago I threw a $100 dollar Sightmark on it and it has been a good red dot. Never lost zero, stayed locked down and never had a problem with it. There were a few times I forgot to turn it off after a range session but I always checked that when I got home.

On my rifle I put a Metpro RDS on it and and it's nothing fancy, just a dot, but it has the accelerometers in it and has the auto on as soon as it's touched and then turns itself off after a bit of time. I really, really like that. No buttons to push. When "thump" goes in the night I don't want to be looking for an on/off button in a dark room, it's ready to go.

So I can get an Eotech at around the same price I can buy the M-spec Sightmark.
You would think this would be a no brainer right?
It's an Eotech rjhyland, you gotta go with Eotech! but.....the Sightmark fms has the same reticle (not holographic) a longer battery life and has the auto on/off feature.

Smart cell phone have been out a long time now and they all had accelerometers in them and I am amazed in the optics world how many still have 1980 on/off buttons. Leupold scopes have auto on/off. Vortex and other high end scopes don't. The tech is dated.

Call me crazy but I think I am leaning towards the Sightmark over the $500 Eotech. I know I am not gonna John Wick it if "thump" goes in the night but I don't think I'll be like Deputy Phiff trying to get the one bullet in the revolver. I'd like to think somewhere in between.
And when my adrenaline is pumping and time may be a factor the last thing I want to think about is a button.

So what are you thoughts on this? I can get both at about the same price. So if you had to choose one.

Everyone knows about Eotech so I will post the Sightmark link here > http://www.sightmark.com/product.php?item=502

·
Registered
510 Posts
Due to the Eotech scandal many people wanting the best red dot are buying the Aimpoint's.

Aimpoint eliminated the whole On-Off button problem by simply leaving it On ALL THE TIME.
The Aimpoint's have battery life's of from 5 to 8 YEARS when left on.

In fact, most military and police users simply leave the sight On all the time and replace the battery once a year.
Just pick a date you'll remember, like your birthday and remember to replace the battery.
Since the battery will last far longer then one year, but batteries are cheap, just replace it yearly on "general principles".

Aimpoint's are also water proof. Some models down to 80 feet under water, so they aren't going to leak rain or fog up under use.
Because they are so heavily used by professionals, Aimpoint's are tough, durable, and last a long time with no problems.

In my case, I couldn't afford an Aimpoint for my KSG, and didn't want a cheaper sight that had to be turned On and didn't want the usual AR-15 pop-up sights that have to be manually popped up, I went with the Archangel axillary sight. This is always "On" and always "Up".
I can use it as a "flash" sight picture with buck, and if I ever want to shoot slugs I could use it for precision aimed shots.
Since you "point" a shotgun anyway, the Archangel is actually faster then any red dot or iron sight.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I posted this thread I knew people would post what they had or recommend others optic choices but It's a thread and where it ends up, who knows. It could end up talking about the Unicorn Bug asalt Ver. 3.0.

I chose the Metpro RDS over the Aimpoint for my rifle as I looked at both. Battery was better on the Aimpoint but the Metpro I felt had the better overall look and wasn't a tube. I prefer a big window over a tube.

dfarriswheel, I have a part time gig at a large department store that sells a lot of guns (the discount) and a gentleman wanted to know if he could mount sights on the 22 he bought for his son. The rifle had a small pic rail at the front of the stock for a red dot or whatever. He asked about a bead as in traditional sights and how he could do that. I showed him a picture of your KSG and the mount you used and the guy loved it. We looked it up and he said he was going to go that route. That worked out well.

On my KSG I do have a SeeAll sight up front that I use as Irons and I like that a lot. It's not the Tritium one but will work well up to low light. I could just leave the KSG with that but.....
I can pick up a Eotech at the same price as a Sightmark............................

·
Registered
510 Posts
Under normal circumstances I'd recommend the better Eotech, BUT, given their recent scandal I don't know if they've corrected the problems.

My shooting buddy went Eotech on many of his rifles and one CCW pistol several years ago.
He hasn't had any of the Eotech problems and he also prefers the open Eotech type sight to the tube type Aimpoint.

It comes down to what you like and money. There is no "right" answer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Eotech has a 2 year warranty and the Sightmark has a limited lifetime. I wouldn't have thought that, I would have thought the other way around. That could be a nod.

Ok, Iron sights hadn't been invented yet.
Aimpoint is what the Indians did when they seen the Spanish Armada coming over the horizon.
Archangels are only spoken of at the Vatican.
Holosun is from a Jules Vern novel.
Bushnell is the Bar maid.
ect.
They don't apply. It's this or that. There is no right or wrong answer.
If you had to chose between the Eotech or the Sightmark what one would you choose?
Ha.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have changed out the optic on my KSG four or five times and have settled on the Trijicon MRO. I prefer that over the EoTech, Aimpooint Comp, Aimpoint T1 Micro, & RMR that I have tried so far.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I currently have a sight Mark on my KSG. It's not the top one but one down. I got to handle the models and decided I didn't need the military options, so I got the cheaper one. It works fine. And I love the choice of four apertures in two colors! But the ergonomics of it suck! The original sight mark only had one perfectly sized and placed button that was easy and natural to turn on. But the battery life sucks.

I was shopping yesterday for another red dot. I put a primary arms, a.d.c. on my AK, and absolutely love the 2 moa dot and small package. It has 50,000 hour battery life! But I wanted a circle dot.
Check out holosun! They have a dual power dot. It uses solar in day light! Also auto on and off. They make several models in this style. Dot, circle dot, accs reticles that I found.
The kicker is they don't break the bank.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
But I wanted a circle dot.
Check out holosun! They have a dual power dot. It uses solar in day light! Also auto on and off. They make several models in this style. Dot, circle dot, accs reticles that I found.
The kicker is they don't break the bank.
I have tried to :ignore: but I just can't stand it:wall:.
I cannot wrap my head around the idea of buying a $500-$600 sight for a $800 shotgun.
Sure it's neat to say this is the bestest, best sight EVER! But was it really needed for the extra $300?
They don't apply. It's this or that. There is no right or wrong answer.
If you had to chose between the Eotech or the Sightmark what one would you choose?
Ha.
At least give the ones 850sub suggested a look.
I use one that cost $78 and it does everything I ask. And turning it on in total darkness is instinctive. Crank the knob on the right side and you have dot. I've not-watched myself do it plenty.
It doesn't need a telepathic connection to my brain to turn on:rolleyes:.
And I have banged it against stuff without panicking that maybe I just ruined $500:gaah:.

I'll be quiet now:ignore:.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I started with the Sightmark Ultra Shot. The glass is dark. And plan on replacing the battery monthly. And it's a pain to stack the 3 tiny batteries and insert them properly.

But I love the simple button.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Here is the Sightmark Ultra Shot Plus .
It added the green color option. And battery life is 90-1000 hours.
It uses cr123 batteries. The worse part that the nicely designed battery cap with a metal keeper, is on the wrong side! And also has two buttons to deal with. Fortunately it's on the KSG. And I don't need sights under 25 yards. So the extra training to turn it on is not critical.

And I paid less than $100 bucks on it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good stuff guys. I originally started this thread because I could get an Eotech for 50% off. I looked at the Eotech and there was nothing about it that drew me in, except the reticle. I think on a shotgun that 65 MOA ring would be excellent up close and the dot would be spot on with slugs.

I currently have a low end Sightmark on my KSG but I want an auto on/off function, or always on optic in the same price range. I found the Sightmark FMS and it paired up against the Eotech in price and reticle, so that was the base line.

However, I never gave Holosun a look. I was trying to stear the threads within the boundaries of the topic (this or that) and after looking at the Holosun I might be glad it didn't.

The 503C has everything I was looking for in price and performance. Another thing on the 503C that I thought was triple cool is, I don't want 1980 buttons. With the 503C they even eliminated the need for buttons on brightness. It's auto sensing. I was like Dayuuuuum!
How cool is that? And the solar panel is a cool idea too.

The tech in this little guy is miles ahead of some of the higher end Red dots for half the cost.

The only question I have is how well will that mount hold up on a shotgun? If it can do it's job I might have the 503C sitting on top of my KSG.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
My opinion is they are definitely steps above a Sightmark.
And I currently run the newer Sightmark as seen above, and it's been great so far. The circle dot is great for clays too.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If I could get an eotech For 50 percent off I'd snap it up and not look back.:eek::cool:They may not be as slick looking as some or have the battery life of a aim point but they are tuff sights.
Its the ideal shot gun sight if your going red dot of some flavor IMO.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.