Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know my passion is military bolt action. I am currently on a short vaca with my wife in south west Georgia. Drove around today hitting gun/pawn shops. Found a shop with a treasure trove but not anything I was looking for. SKS russian vvg shape $400, norinco sks vvg shape $300. I have nothing in 7.62X39. A number of swede mausers in 6.5 prices varied. And a brazilian mauser in 30-06? $150. I know nothing about any of these. Hence the plea for help. Time is short. If nothing else the seriously bubbafied Lee/Enfield for $125 isw probably goin to take me back to that pawn shop. Also does anybody have a Henry pump 22? Help me please!!!

Gary

·
Banned
325 Posts
Gary, If the Russian SKS is in decent shape with all matching numbers, or mostly matching numbers, I would snatch it up for the $400 asking price. Or maybe even offer a lower price and see what they say. Maybe even $400 out the door total price. I have one now that I would not sell for less than $450. Forget about the norinco sks, they are just not worth that price in my opinion and prefer not to own any as they do not command a decent price if you decide to resell it later. Good luck, I hope you do good!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Like Firearmfanatic said, the Russian SKS should be a fine choice. Haven't seen one in average condition for less than $450.

Henry lever action rifles have a very good reputation. The pump action production began in 1999 and is worth about $495 new.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charley and Gary, thanks for the info, going back there tomorrow. See what I can do. Hope I do/don't have phideaux luck. Good luck on the price, bad luck went back and missed them.

Gary

·
Banned
325 Posts
Charley and Gary, thanks for the info, going back there tomorrow. See what I can do. Hope I do/don't have phideaux luck. Good luck on the price, bad luck went back and missed them.

Gary
Gary, If you are not successful when you go back, pm me, I just might let an original Chinese Factory 26 SKS go reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Went back yesterday. Got the Russian SKS, they wouldn't come off the price, but did wave the tax. 7 1/2%. The enfield was just too far gone, looked like somebody tried to glue/epoxy/jb weld a scope mount to it.
SKS looks great, would rate it vv good to excellant. Only 2 small rub marks on stock. All matching. 1952 Tula, no refurb marking, solid birch stock.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Went back yesterday. Got the Russian SKS, they wouldn't come off the price, but did wave the tax. 7 1/2%. The enfield was just too far gone, looked like somebody tried to glue/epoxy/jb weld a scope mount to it.
SKS looks great, would rate it vv good to excellant. Only 2 small rub marks on stock. All matching. 1952 Tula, no refurb marking, solid birch stock.

Gary
Nice score Gary. Doesn't surprise me that you found a gem like that. You and Jim find some of the best guns ever. Maybe i should stay after next year's shoot and go shopping with you guys to find something like this.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I like it alot. She's purty! BUT, now that I have my 1st 7.62x39(yea I know, I'm way behind in this area), what are your thoughts are brand of ammo? Seems to be a plethora of choices out there.

Gary

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
what are your thoughts are brand of ammo?
It is a communist bloc rifle. It will shoot anything you can get into the chamber, and half the stuff that you can't.

I usually buy what is cheapest (other than corrosive). If a bunch of different ones are about the same price, I will choose Golden Tiger first. I've read on the internet (so it must be true!) that this is the best. But honestly, I can't tell any difference between Golden Tiger and any other AK ammo. I like the orange box with the tiger on it, so I buy it for that reason! I also buy a lot of the sealed spam cans of this caliber, to keep long term, in case the zombies wait to show up until I'm 90. I believe those spam cans are all made by Wolf.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It is a communist bloc rifle. It will shoot anything you can get into the chamber, and half the stuff that you can't...
But honestly, I can't tell any difference between Golden Tiger and any other AK ammo...
It won't care.
It's over-designed to run under harsh conditions. They are accurate as is and don't have much need for a scope.
I feed mine Tulammo because as fun as it is to shoot, you will be more concerned with quantity of ammo than quality:D.
Running expensive ammo in them is about like getting 93 octane gas for your lawnmower.
The grass still gets cut the same:rolleyes:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.